Revolt of the Zombies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revolt of the Zombies Reviews

October 12, 2016
Slow and occasionally racist.
½ October 26, 2015
Great idea for a story, but everything about this is done badly. The acting, the editing, sigh...
October 26, 2013
Plod Plod Plod--Zombie melodrama!!
½ December 15, 2012
I love cheesy B-movies of all kinds, I love black and white films, and I love horror films...but Revolt Of The Zombies sucked ass. Despite being only a little over an hour long, this film is very, very boring and is also very sloppy in its execution. The storyline is very poorly told and rarely makes sense due to extremely poor editing, the acting is wooden, the characters barely qualify as being one dimensional, there is no actual suspense or horror, and it wastes its potentially interesting premise. It also meanders aimlessly, and it also feebly tries to throw in some half-assed romance scenes. This film is just awful and not nearly bad enough to be fun.
March 21, 2012
Very slow and boring. There's not much to this 'Zombie Revolt' and the characters are uninteresting. It has some decent sets but overall it's a miss.
February 22, 2012
Half-way through the movie I was kinda wondering where are the zombies?
½ February 9, 2012
Bien ordinaire et sans saveur comme film de zombies..
December 30, 2011
Short oldies. Not much about zombie but more of love story. Fails terribly. During WW1 at the Franco-Austrian Frontier, an oriental priest (William Crowell) is capture and held life imprisonment because he have the power to turn men into zombie. Roy D'Arcy kill him and steal the manuscript. George Cleveland the general suggest they must travel to Angkor, find the secret and destroy it. His daughter Dorothy Stone is also on board. Dean Jagger propose to her. She accepts it but actually like Robert Noland. The truth is reveal and Dean accept the fact. He seems to find a lead to the secret and alone went to the temple. He follow a monk to a secret location and found a tablet carving. But he is dismiss because he left to Angkor on his own. Dean do the experiment on his helper Teru Shimada and succeed. Roy finds him for the formula and Dean summon Teru to kill him. Robert and Dorothy are planning to escape but is too late. Dean tell Dorothy if she go back to his embrace, he will not kill Robert. Dean don't wish to use the power to make Dorothy love him and free the spell. All the people under his spell awakens and destroy his lab. The soldiers kill Dean.
½ November 29, 2011
Muddled, illogical, and confusing attempt to mix the 1930's concept of zombie with war and archaeological issues. Luckily the last 10-odd minutes are the best 10 minutes in the movie... although whether many viewers will get past the first 30 is a completely different beast--and not enough to save the movie, anyway.
October 11, 2011
As a remake it could be good, but by it's self it's a racist piece of crap. the ideal however is intersting.
September 21, 2011
Revolt of the Zombie is one of the most boring zombie films I have ever seen. There is barely any action throughout the film and the script is really slow. It is also very cheap because the film takes place in Cambodia, but you can clearly see the ‚??landscape‚?? is nothing more than an oversized photograph. The film‚??s only interesting value is actor Roy D‚??Arcy as an evil, scheming colonel. You will know, if you ever brave it, it is him because wears all black. The rest of this film is dead. You have the King of the Zombies, but there is a Revolt of the Zombies. Zombies lose, so there is there Revenge of the Zombies.
August 26, 2011
Planned as a follow-up to the successful White Zombie, this movie never quite lives up to the spirit and originality of the first one. The love story is pretty weak though the more realistic view of living zombies (instead of the flesh-eating dead) is kind of nice in today's popularity of zombie movies/tv/books. The movie needed a more charismatic leads since White Zombie at least had Bela Lugosi (who's eyes still appear in this movie).
½ August 12, 2011
Revolt of the Zombies isn't at all frightening with its mawkish atmosphere, exaggerated performances, and uneven incomprehensible plot.
½ May 5, 2011
Let me first mention the good parts: ugh
1) I think that the eyes of Bela Lugosi were recycled in this movie from "White Zombie"
2) Its campy
Well thats all the good I see in this terrible movie, its probably so bad its good cause I did laugh I lot.
March 28, 2011
Apparently, zombie used to refer to any person turned into a mindless automaton via black magic or other mind control techniques. So when a modern-day zombie fan such as myself tunes into one of these old flicks with old school zombies, we are invariably disappointed. I don't want to knock this movie too much because it wasn't Beast of Yucca Flats-bad, but it lacked the atmosphere made some of these older films spooky. There really isn't anything scary here, and the plot was paper thin.
March 9, 2011
Directed by Victor Halperin of "White Zombie" fame, this follow-up to his better-known film is even worse. It's hard to tell whether no effort was made to transition from scene to scene or if there is material missing from the version now available, but either way what we have is a disjointed flick that left me saying, "Next scene!" every time the screen faded to black. The acting tempts one to think that the cast themselves were the zombies!

A team of archaeologists is in Cambodia during WWI. They captured a local priest who is the last man alive who knows the secret of making zombies, a labor force previously tapped to construct the temple complex at Angkor through the auspices of the three-eyed god Siva. As the French general proclaims loudly, however, "This secret could be a threat to the entire white race!" The priest ends up and and a nerdy archeologist instead rediscovers the secret, using it to get revenge against the woman who scorns him and the other members of the expedition when he gets fired. Before you know it (because it's not shown how it happens in the movie), the nerdy archeologist has assembled an army of Cambodian zombies and has everyone else under his control. He's about to conquer the world... but, well, this was made in the 1930's and, as we all know, love conquered all up to about 1939.

The zombies here are just people who've been hypnotized. Nothing even vaguely scary ever happens, and there's never a zombie revolt. There's a reason that you've never heard of this flick! Watch it for the examples of early 20th century racism and sexism with which it is laced, but not so much for horror entertainment.
December 3, 2010
Half-way through the movie I was kinda wondering where are the zombies?
November 24, 2010
Revolt of the Zombies could be the zombie movie version of A Tale of Two Cities. A timid man who loses the woman he loves to his friend. He gains ultimate power over people during an exploration to Angkor Wat. Showing that ultimate power corrupts absolutely, can he bring himself back from the edge? A terrific story.
½ November 7, 2010
A fun zombie movie. True, it's nowhere near to being as good as the classic White Zombie, but it's still a good watch. Recommended.
½ November 6, 2010
Flat and nonsensical love triangle atop war, imperialism, and mind control.