Rhapsody in Blue Reviews

• Dec 06, 2017

Flawed but pretty enjoyable. They included lots of music which was a good thing. George came off as a really nice guy. I don't know if that was by design or the actor (Alan Alda's dad, Robert) just didn't know how to do much besides be friendly. He had some weak moments when he tried to spread his wings, no doubt. The presentation of the biographical details was pretty linear and unimaginative. But the music and the creative process was enjoyable to me. 7.2 out of 10

• Jan 31, 2016

I first watched this movie when I was 9 and the movie was about the same age. It originally came out in 1945. It gave me a love of George Gershwin music. Yes, it may not have been the most "correct" documentary but it had a lot of famous stars in it doing great acting for that time of movies. If you expecting a perfect movie, move on. If you are looking for a movie of the time with real performances go for it. Yes, I have watched it many times in my life and showed it to my kids.

• Apr 02, 2015

Starring Robert Alda, Joan Leslie and Alexis Smith. This film takes great liberties with the facts of George Gershwin's life, going so far as inventing a few love interests who did not actually exist. But musically this is very authentic, with the highlight being the full performance of the title piece. Greater credibility is added by the presence here of Gershwin's friend Oscar Levant, the pianist and sometimes actor known for his heavy drinking and self-deprecating humor. Levant said of the finished film "They even got the lies about Gershwin wrong!" Directed by Irving Rapper.

• Oct 08, 2013

What a Fantastic movie! There's actually more fact than fiction in this Biopic of life of George Gershwin! so many of the principal characters play themselves! Al jolsen, George white, Paul Whiteman, and of course Oscar Levant. THe re-creation of the original performance of THE Rhapsody with Paul WHiteman's orchestra is breathtaking!

• Jul 04, 2012

good 'hollywood' bio-pic year s/b 1945 not 2001

good 'hollywood' bio-pic year s/b 1945 not 2001

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Apr 27, 2012

Worthless as biography but what great music and Alexis Smith is always worth watching.

• Mar 06, 2012

Seriously, it can't be THAT hard to make a good Gershwin movie, can it? -groan-

Seriously, it can't be THAT hard to make a good Gershwin movie, can it? -groan-

• Feb 26, 2012

George Gershwin has wonderful story, and he played brilliantly by Robert Alda, Alan Alda's father. The music is breathtaking, as is 1940's New York. Highly recommended.

• Nov 24, 2011

Warner Bros. prestigious "biography" of composer George Gershwin only rings true during the musical numbers, of which there are many: highlights include Al Jolson singing "Swanee," and Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra recreating their 1924 performance of "Rhapsody in Blue."

• Apr 30, 2011

Unlike some of this era's biopics, this one is HORRID. Or perhaps Gershwin was a really unpleasant, insufferable douche. And the dialogue makes me want to drink. Oh wait. I do drink. So it makes me want to drink heavily. And constantly.