Rhubarb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rhubarb Reviews

½ June 26, 2015
I am a fan of cats and they are under-represented in animal cinema, so I thought I'd check this out. It was very mildly amusing and the cat didn't do a lot apart from run around a bit an miaow a lot. Disappointing.
½ April 20, 2015
Predictable antics ensue when an eccentric millionaire dies and leaves his baseball team to his cat. Ray Milland was good as always, but if you want to see him in a comedic role a better choice would be "It Happens Every Spring", another comedic baseball film. The supporting cast was uniformly good, especially Gene Lockhart, Jan Sterling and William Frawley. Paul Douglas makes a cameo as a man in the park. Look for Leonard Nimoy in an early non-speaking role as one of the ballplayers.
May 2, 2010
Would you believe that the movie about a cat who inherits millions of dollars and a baseball team suffers from having too much plot? Early on the film does well to stick to one of the lesser-used rules of comedy - feral cats are always funny - but by the time the pseudo-gangsters show up it's just one reel too many.
September 5, 2008
RHUBARB: THE MILLIONARE CAT. This predictable but amusing Paramount comedy from the 50's was recently rescued from obscurity through DVD. I'd never heard of it, but I allowed myself a blind buy for the mere sake of seeing Ray Milland in a silly comedic role.

If you're a cat person, add an additional star to my rating, for this is possibly the ultimate movie for cat lovers (I'm a dog man, myself). I've never before seen a film where *so much* hinged upon a titular cat. If you like the idea of cats being good luck charms, it will warm your fuzzy little heart to witness a struggling baseball team become undefeated winners if all the team players stroke the cat...

It didn't warm my heart. I'm a dog person, and this film clearly has a prejudice against dogs. Nonetheless, it's an amusing little flick.