Riaru: Kanzen naru kubinagaryû no hi (Real) Reviews

• Jul 19, 2014

Kiyoshi Kurosawa, director of Cure and Pulse and other mysterious J-horror-like films, may have lost his touch. I haven't seen Tokyo Sonata (2008) which was well received but Retribution (2006) was a boring rehash of his earlier themes and now Real (2013) is another attempt to capture a mood while also linking into the zeitgeist themes about virtual reality, entering people's dreams, blurring of reality and psychological interpretation (see Inception...or Freud). Real starts well, with a high concept set-up (the protagonist is going to link up with his girlfriend in a coma in virtual reality) and some creepy moments. But it goes on too long and is too ponderously slow to sustain viewers until the very wacky conclusion. Did I say "very wacky" - I meant "so wacky that I started talking to the screen" - and in fact the script takes a distinct nose dive into silliness and predictability (despite the silliness) that is just embarrassing - for Kurosawa (who shows he can't keep control of the tone) and for viewers (who would like their two hours back).

• Mar 29, 2014

Kurosawa multiplie les twist au gre des niveaux de conscience de son melo technologique sans parvenir a rendre aucun univers convaincant. C'est plus par la maladresse de son traitement et la mievrerie de ses personnages que le realisateur nous egare finalement. Terriblement brouillon...

• Oct 06, 2013

Points for having a dinosaur in your movie. Loss of points for everything being stupid.