Rich and Famous Reviews

• May 25, 2016

Those things in the 1980s.

Those things in the 1980s.

• Nov 09, 2012

Yun-Fat does a sweet drive-by rescue in a van. Lau, in an early role, shows why he got so famous. The story and directing are fairly typical, but it's worth watching for the sweet finale. Decent bit of crime, easy to see why they made Tragic Hero to follow this.

• Jan 09, 2011

Jealousy prevails. Andy Lau shines in this film. Good story.

Jealousy prevails. Andy Lau shines in this film. Good story.

• Oct 23, 2009

Again, bored with abuse of violence in the picture. Alex Man character could be better villain, but it's so simplified and shallow. It's waste of great actor. Alan Tam character, too. Indeed, a movie that does not describe characters well is really boring.

• Feb 28, 2009

A typical film in the "heroic bloodshed" and gunplay genre in Hong Kong, 'Rich and Famous' is one of the myriad of films with Chow Yun Fat as a triad figure of some sort in his post-'A Better Tomorrow' career boost. It is also one of many movies in which he co-stars with the great Andy Lau (God of Gamblers, Infernal Affairs). Alan Tam (pop star and Armor of God alumnus) plays Lau's cousin; heck, even crazy Danny "I believe I'm a cop in real life" Lee drops in for a performance as- you guessed it- a frazzled police officer for a couple of scenes. Despite the DVD cover, this movie is actually about two brothers who are swept into the world of the Triads in 1960s Hong Kong, and then betrayal and a kind of Cain-Abel rivalry develops. I thought this was an okay movie: I've seen worse HK fare, and I've seen far better; Rich and Famous is kind of like watching a Valerie Bertanelli Lifetime movie- you know how things are going to work out and the basic plot. Such is this movie to the Triad-Heroic Bloodshed genre. This is definitely not John Woo action, it's very character-driven and aspires to tell an epic story that spans a decade in less than 1 &1/2 hours. An aspiration at which it unfortunately fails. There was a little to chuckle at in here: the saving the puppy in slow-mo in the rain scene by Chow and his girlfriend was a nice touch; Tam and Lau on the scooter was priceless too. Things start to really unravel film-wise towards the end, there's all sorts of crap: betrayal, weddings, Tam hitting people with metal, and scooter shoot-outs. Being a HK flick, I forgave this silliness, as these movies are often notoriously uneven, both genre-wise and in tone. It's a product of its time- 1980s HK, when everybody wanted to be a cool triad shooting guns in slow mo-, and pedestrian stuff, not raising the bar in any sense; but Chow always looks sweet shooting a gun, does he not?

• Feb 28, 2009

A typical film in the "heroic bloodshed" and gunplay genre in Hong Kong, 'Rich and Famous' is one of the myriad of films with Chow Yun Fat as a triad figure of some sort in his post-'A Better Tomorrow' career boost. It is also one of many movies in which he co-stars with the great Andy Lau (God of Gamblers, Infernal Affairs). Alan Tam (pop star and Armor of God alumnus) plays Lau's sneezy, annoying cousin; heck, even crazy Danny "I believe I'm a cop in real life" Lee drops in for a performance as- you guessed it- a frazzled police officer for a couple of scenes. Despite the DVD cover, this movie is actually about two brothers who are swept into the world of the Triads in 1960s Hong Kong, and then betrayal and a kind of Cain-Abel rivalry develops. I thought this was an okay movie: I've seen worse HK fare, and I've seen far better; Rich and Famous is kind of like watching a Valerie Bertanelli Lifetime movie- you know how things are going to work out and the basic plot. Such is this movie to the Triad-Heroic Bloodshed genre. This is definitely not John Woo action, it's very character-driven and aspires to tell an epic story that spans a decade in less than 1 &1/2 hours. An aspiration at which it unfortunately fails. There was a little to chuckle at in here: the saving the puppy in slow-mo in the rain scene by Chow and his girlfriend was a nice touch; Tam and Lau on the scooter was priceless too. Things start to really unravel film-wise towards the end, there's all sorts of crap: betrayal, weddings, Tam hitting people with metal, and scooter shoot-outs. Being a HK flick, I forgave this silliness, as these movies are often notoriously uneven, both genre-wise and in tone. It's a product of its time- 1980s HK, when everybody wanted to be a cool triad shooting guns in slow mo-, and pedestrian stuff, but Chow always looks sweet holding a gun, does he not?

• Oct 19, 2008

Not even the handsome duo of Chow Yun Fat and Andy Lau can make this first installment of Taylor Wongs gangster epos fly properly. Sloppy direction all over, but most obviously in the action sequences. And these triads seem too fucking romantic to me, taking care of homeless puppies and nursing them back to health and stuff. Wong would do better in Triads: The Inside Story only a few years later.

• Jul 22, 2008

together with "Tragic Hero" is the greatest action film ever

together with "Tragic Hero" is the greatest action film ever

• Jul 19, 2008

Action pack violent movie. Andy Lau, Chow Yu-Fat and Alex Man makes up a good cast. Alex Man as usual the ultimate baddie, really good.

• Anthony V Super Reviewer
    Jun 26, 2008

On par with the first film.

On par with the first film.