Richard Pryor---Live in Concert - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Richard Pryor---Live in Concert Reviews

November 17, 2010
Memorable and highly entertaining.
November 13, 2010
*Warning: Adult language* Richard Pryor is one funny motherfucker. I just can't think of any better way to put it. This is the first of his concert stand-up comedy movies, and it's absolutely brilliant. It's amazing how raw and profane his act is, especially in 1979. The jokes here are not dated at all - he could have performed them yesterday and they would still be hilarious. He's a real performer too, using what props he has, utilizing the full space of the stage, and getting so physically into his act that you can see giant sweat-stains on his shirt. His style has clearly influenced many, many stand-up comedians since. Based just on the strength of this one, I think Pryor was one of the funniest people who ever lived, along with Groucho Marx, Mel Brooks, and Woody Allen. Stand-up comedy just doesn't get any better than this guy.
½ October 23, 2010
pure genius and a true pioneer.
July 29, 2010
whats he saying!!!!!
What!!
I know im not American but I thought they spoke English too
July 19, 2010
pryor at his funniest
May 26, 2010
"Ain't no fun poking fun at Mexicans -- motherfuckers got their own country!"

The king!
January 31, 2010
Still hilarious and socially relevant - 32 years later. Gotta see this one fo sho mofos! =]
January 23, 2010
The pioneer of standup a must see.
December 24, 2009
How many times have I seen this now? 15? 20? Starting when I was too young to get half the jokes, for sure. The best stand-up comic of all time in his best recorded performance. Nobody else had Pryor's natural ability to make everything seem effortlessly improvised--as perfectly polished as every one of the bits is, right down to the last syllable, each of them flows like it's something that just occurred to him to say. He really comes across as somebody who's just hanging out and eager to have a fun conversation. His whole stage presence is flawless that way--he runs around, dances, and pantomimes fights, sex, macho posturing, and a heart attack, among many other things. In a room full of a couple thousand people, he does a couple routines lying on his back, and manages to get the crowd to go stone silent a couple times. One bit get an enormous ovation because he tells the whole thing so quietly that no one dares interrupt him with laughter. He comments on race, addiction, rape, and million different kinds of bad decisions, making all of it unbelievably funny. As a writer, social critic, humorist, and performer, Pryor was hard to match. A lot of what he does has influenced so many comics working ever since that we take some of this kind of material for granted--but Pryor was the first one to bring so much of it so successfully to the mainstream. He was an unbelievable talent and it's still hard to accept that he's gone.
December 5, 2009
THE FUNNIEST MUTHERFUCKER OF ALL TIME.
September 26, 2009
quite possibly the greatest stand up comedian ever,and this is his best performance
August 16, 2009
This is Pryor at his prime. Forget Rock or Murphy this guy was the man.
July 10, 2009
Richard Pryor was the funniest stand up I've ever seen/
cosmo313
½ April 26, 2009
Classic. This film is just one example of why Pryor was a fucking genius and one of the funniset and best comedians of all time.
March 5, 2009
Hilarious - A comic master at his peak
January 19, 2009
you don't know what is meant by stand up until you've seen this!!!!!
½ January 5, 2009
30 years on and the comedy still stands up - it's all too obvious where the comedians that followed took their lead from. The crude, often profane language as well as offensive material we have all got used to over the years - but Pryor is much more than this, certainly being a brilliant physical performer too.
December 27, 2008
comedic genius another piece of evidence why hes the best comedian that ever did it
½ December 12, 2008
This shows just how much a master of comedy Pryor was. There'll never be another like him.
½ November 12, 2008
If you can handle the crudeness, then you'll love it. It taught Murphy and 3 or 4 others how to do raunchy stand up. Keep the kiddies away!