Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip Reviews

DrStrangeblog
August 16, 2015
Pryor occasionally drops philosophical during this concert performance in 1982, particularly when recounting his experiences in Africa. The highlight is definitely his ability to find humor in telling the story of how he incinerated himself when freebasing coke and paints a scary/funny picture of the devilish power of addiction.
½ April 13, 2015
Pryor is one of the best comedians of all time! He really connects with the audience by sharing his life experiences and being able to make jokes about them. May he rest in peace!
October 13, 2014
very funny made me laugh a lot
½ February 15, 2014
He's funny but this isn't as good as the 1979 concert film.
April 19, 2013
Not Pryors Best...but a pretty damn good stand up show. One of the few Richard Pryor made into a major movie event. If you want to get someone into Pryor's comedy I wouldn't start here, I'd go with his 1979 stand up movie or Here and Now from 1983.
January 27, 2013
One of the greatest stand-up performances ever.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ October 27, 2012
Richard Pryor stand up video from the early 80's. Early on, I thought I saw the Reverend Jesse Jackson in the audience. I prefer Chris Rock myself.
September 10, 2012
An unadulterated look at Pryor and how he defined stand up comedy how we know it today.
July 2, 2012
There are some good laughs to be had in this concert film, however...I did find that he had more misses than hits in this one. Richard Pryor is funny, but he has a hard time staying consistent.
June 25, 2012
Touchingly truthful and often funny. He starts a bit haphazzardly, jumping all over the place, but eventually gets going after an average Mudbone. The highlights for me were the relationship he had with his cocaine pipe and his recovery after badly burning himself.
May 7, 2012
Was such a funny guy! I remember listening to the tape of this back in the 80's.
½ May 3, 2012
Richard Pryor just makes me laugh, even in bad movies I still find him amusing. This isn't the best stand-up film I've seen, but it is still quite funny. Pryor is open and honest about his own issues and pokes fun at them. This a must for Pryor fans. Check it out!
April 4, 2012
Richard Pryor's 1981 stand-up special is great, tons of laughs from one of the best comedians to ever take the stage, who also doesn't hold back when it comes to his own misfortune. He is able to laugh at his infamous freebasing incident (in which Pryor caught on fire while freebasing cocaine and ran down the street in flames) and other sordid details of his own life. Not that he only pokes fun at himself, he has plenty to say in this special on several subjects, definitely recommended.
March 2, 2012
Pure classic Pryor. 30 years later and this still made me laugh. I was born in 1990 and its still relevant. You can really see how he had influence on Dave chappelle, especially when he was talking about smoking crack. Very funny set.
February 16, 2012
never realized just how funny richard pryor was. gotta watch more of his stuff. jebus
½ November 26, 2011
gold standard comedy (new genre)
½ November 20, 2011
In 1982 Richard Pryor was damn lucky to be alive. After setting himself on fire freebasing cocaine we could have easily lost one of the best comedian of my generation. Live on the Sunset Strip was more or less a come back for him even though he wasn't necessarily in top form. It's quite apparent that the incident had left Pryor a bit shaken & he seems a bit nervous being on stage again. That is until he gets honest about his addiction & the mishap that almost cost him his life. It's comedy w/ pathos & for a shining moment Pryor is @ his best. He's definitely @ his most real. Should have been called Richard Pryor Alive & Kickin
November 13, 2011
½ June 26, 2011
Pretty good, but Pryor's not as funny here as he was in the 70s.