Rid of Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rid of Me Reviews

½ June 10, 2015
I'm fairly used to the feeling that often stand alone in my opinions regarding "film art" --- but every once in a while a movie comes along that I find not only unique in perspective but to be surprisingly potent. James Westby's 2011 independent film was largely ignored and dismissed by the time it found it's way to a very small theatrical release. What particularly annoys me about the way it has been so easily dismissed is that I know had the movie been about a male character played by someone like Seth Rogen or Will Ferrell it would have "won hearts" and made money. Rid of Me is a very dark comedy about a grown woman who has spent her life allowing the passively dominant cultural and economic class societal structure to force her entire identity into a box. When the uncomfortable but safety that box provides tosses her out -- she is sent on an comical, profane and often existential quest to not only find herself but to determine which group of people she needs to conform to at this stage of life's game. Merris has clearly never grown up. Westby plays with cultural stereotypes and places our protagonist in a number of uncomfortably funny situations. Given what this film accomplishes on what appears to be shoe string budget, it is a fun and twisted ride of a movie. I suspect it is the twist that this movie is about a woman instead of the stereotype but benignly lovable "boy-man" that puts so many viewers at odds with the film. Katie O'Grady is exceptionally committed to her role. By no means is this film perfect. There are flaws, but what one will find here is so much more than you're likely to find in the typical crap Hollywood cranks out for the few leading ladies believed to be "bankable" This is an entertaining movie that offers a perspective that is far more cutting than you might realize at first glimpse or from the other reviews I see here.
½ September 21, 2014
Great break up movie
August 11, 2014
Be prepared for a really gross opening scene, which you find out later is totally deserved. Otherwise, this is a decent movie about a coming-of-age ritual (the major breakup) told from the female dumpee's point of view. Go, riotgrrrls!
June 16, 2014
Awesome HD-like cinematography.
February 21, 2014
Push through, it gets more interesting.
½ February 9, 2014
This film had the plot of a woman whose husband wants to forever relive his high school years with his high school crowd, being dumped by said husband because she doesn't fit in with said crowd, and then trying to get over him and have a life. The idea is good, but the acting and execution here are too poor to provide the flick with a little backbone.
½ January 26, 2014
A good example of bad bad directing, decent writing and a great lead actress.
½ November 4, 2013
the film in its viewing state could have been fixed with color and filters, the direction is very specific, but note colleen out of all the wives is the only one that feels genuinely bad. look at her expression while she's in the candy shop. another thing is. the writing is spot on. i know too many people that act like mitch's friends. i give it a work in progress in my book, just pick a different camera and get some good lighting.
½ October 12, 2013
I just don't know how to feel about this movie...it was uncomfortable, painful, weird, and I watched the whole thing because I just couldn't NOT watch it.
½ September 29, 2013
Acting was ok. I liked Katie O'Grady. Her character didn't deserve to be treated like that, pure girl. But it ended ok for her.
½ September 16, 2013
The more I thought about this movie after watching it the more angry I became. There are several characters who needed to be seriously maimed and that never happened.
½ July 7, 2013
Kind of slow, but still mildly entertaining.
May 8, 2013
Like the painfully awkward spawn of Miranda July and David Lynch. Somehow, against all reason, it works though. Illogically charming.
March 28, 2013
I like how the director tries to show the audience how Meris feels by putting her on the spot in certain scenes.I also enjoyed the directors artsy portrait shots throughout the movie.
March 26, 2013
This movie is a 5 star movie in every way..this movie is a story about a married couple who move back the husbands home town in Oregon where his old highschool "friends" become a huge part of their lives..Meris (the wife) is forced to fit in with these girls who she has nothing in common with and her husband makes them such a huge part of their lives, every weekend , dinner parties, outings, Meris does not like them or feel they like her, this movie is very real and true to life..I found everything from the acting to the music in this movie remarkable. It is so nice to watch a movie that isn't filled with the boring hollywood actresses where everything is sugarcoated and there's always a happy ending..This movie is by far one of the greatest movies i have seen, even at the end, after Meris has found another bf and has gotten some happiness in her life, there is a scene at the end where she is in her garden, and happy but her thoughts go back to her ex husband and his friends and how they hurt her, the music goes solemn, and soon she shes her friend with the baby and the music goes happy again, How true is that, how real is that..Excellent movie, a deep movie, I can relate to.
March 18, 2013
l love it. It swings no pretense. it is raw. doesn't pretend it has "to be a film" but just is a film. and that is the heart of indie. the film style has no need for hollywood quasi indie hipsterishness, or attitudes or posturing. that is why it is so hauntingly good. it simply presents the story and if you identify with it, and still separate yourself as the viewer, the film remains really disturbing and hilarious. If you don't like it, it is because you identify, you lost your separation from the film as a viewer, and got sucked right up with what it points out in us humans, our weaknesses and petty desires and meanness, and forget it is a movie and it gets right under your skin without you knowing it and bugs the shit out of you. That is the power of a good indie film. Raw. Simple. No bullshit in its seamless delivery of its story's power from screen to viewer's feeling. whether one "likes" or "dislikes" it is irrelevant. what do you feel when a film points out the shit in your closet?
February 16, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. From Oregon I recognize the character types. While a bit over the top, I can see this sort of thing happening. I have known folks similar to these cliques in high school.
February 11, 2013
Worst movie ever. Please do not watch. Worst everything, actors, editing, music, plot. An overall creepy experience.
½ January 11, 2013
The only thing unbearable about this film are some of the extremely socially awkward situations that the main character, Meris, goes through. This dark comedy was a fun watch and had a very unique directing and editing style to it.
December 29, 2012
I haven't had a movie hit me like this before. Only the movie "Buffalo 66" has intrigued me like this. The ending could have been better,but the story line,soundtrack and the performance of Katie O Grady made the movie over all outstanding. The movie did look like a low budget production,but for some reason,it made you feel as you were in a real room with real people.This movie will strike a nerve with alot of people 'cause social pressure is everywhere and everyone has seen a situation where people have suffered from it. Alot of people will see themselves somewhere in this movie.