The Riddle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Riddle Reviews

August 20, 2013
Interesting biopic, authentic settings and layered plot. Star-studded UK cast. Gripping ending as the riddle unfolds.
August 27, 2012
Was a bit plodding like previous reviews said- in fact true it could have been half an hour shorter. However, as someone who enjoys a good old fashioned mystery or solving a riddle I enjoyed it. Interesting story within a story, and combination of Victorian and modern eras- but you have to watch closely to get the most out of it. Jacobi and Jones are great, but aren't they always.
½ May 13, 2012
I wanted to like it but overall it was rather slow and boring
April 16, 2012
Considering the pack of actors... Really surprised it was bad. I couldn't even watch it for my own little Vinnie Jones pleasure. Good "background" movie.
April 10, 2012
Looked interesting to start with but half way through it was obviously not going anywhere so didn't bother watching the rest.
February 15, 2012
It tries to be intriguing but ultimately fails.
November 17, 2011
Wow. This is the ideal example of a terrific idea that died when realized by the wrong group of people. Damn you, Brendon Foley! Next time get a co-writer or give the project to someone else. I really shouldn't even give it two stars, because this is the workst movie I've seen in a long time. But it is SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!
August 24, 2011
A very non interesting movie. Sad since the subject could have been made into so much more. The acting was so and so and you never really get to fell a vibe from any of them. So not recommended at all.
June 24, 2011
I wanted to like it but overall it was rather slow and boring, real shame considering the actors involved in this.
½ June 24, 2011
I wanted to like it but overall it was rather slow and boring
½ December 5, 2010
This movie fails on almost every concevable level, being stupid, boring and confusing.
½ August 29, 2010
Couldn't keep me interested enough to watch with any enthusiasum. Kind of played in the background as I went about other tasks.
½ July 10, 2010
Derek Jacobi's performances are the saving grace of this film (because he is captivating and fantastic). The script was inconsistent between the current version and the story within the story. The script had many "light bulb goes on" moments, which was rather unfortunate, especially since the audience understood things before the characters. Also, there are a number of expressions that I didn't understand because the film was British. It's worth watching it once for Jacobi's acting though.
½ June 26, 2010
Lovely British Film the best films are British.Derek Jacobi is great as Vinnie Jones is too.A great Thriller have a look.
June 19, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressesss thorughout this movie.....i think that vinnie jones, jason flemyng, mel smith, julie cox, derek jacobi, ph moriarty, vanessa redgrave play good roles/parts throughout this movie........i think that vinnie jones, julie cox, jason flemyng were great throguhout this movie......i think that the director of this thriller movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie..............i think that this is a good thriller movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie n its a really powerful thriller movie with a great cast throughout this movie
May 30, 2010
It was ok but not more.
½ March 22, 2010
I watched this a while ago, and although I don't mind Vinnie Jones & Derek Jacobi, I vaguely remember it being a rather laughable tale based on some lost Dickens manuscript near the Thames, but can't remember a thing more about it. Says it all really. Easily missed.
August 17, 2009
Booooorrrring
*snore*
didn't even finish watching it... a complete muddle of a movie.
August 4, 2009
This is some horribly made rip-off of National treasure and The Da Vince Code. Even though it is only a couple of years old, it looks much more dated than that. I saw nothing in the trailer that inspired me to watch this one.
July 26, 2009
This looks and feels like it cost about the price of a blank 3 hour video tape to put together... which is ironic really because after sitting through this dross I wished I had spent the time watching one of those instead.
The riddle of the film is just why it was made, who do they think will sit through it, who thought Vinnie Jones would be a good bit of casting for a journalist and how short for cash is Derek Jacobi that he could be persuaded to turn up and put in a dazzling performance as a piece of old ham way past it's act by date?
Avoid like the clappers... the Mail On Sunday gave this away free months before it's general release on DVD so that should say it all. Unfortunately that meant that the film became one of the most watched British movies of all time - based on sales of the paper.
I should think the first five minutes are probably the most watched in any British movie ever... shame they don't report the vast majority of those people all saying "turn this cobblers off, there's got to be something better on one of the other channels...".
Watch it by all means, don't let me put you off... but don't say I didn't warn you either!