Ride Lonesome - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ride Lonesome Reviews

½ December 6, 2016
Better than average western. Good cast and Steele is as beautiful as the cinematography.
½ April 29, 2016
In the past year or so, I've made a determined decision to get more accustomed to pre-1970's films from around the world, particularly genres I've previously given short change to, such as musicals, war films and westerns. I have to admit it's greatly enhanced my appreciation of cinema in general. It's amazing how great some of these films actually are.

Since cinema is the greatest love of my life, I also collect books on film, trying to find out anything and everything I can. As the old Calvin Klein commercial goes, 'A man has many loves, but only one Obsession'. An unexpectedly great and relatively inexpensive find was 'The Editors of American Cowboy's The Top 100 Westerns of All Time,' from 2011. Looming at #52 was this, and its write-up sounded intriguing, so I've always kept my eyes open for it. Sure enough, last month I saw a Randolph Scott Westerns 6-pack for a very low price, and I pulled the trigger (pardon the pun).

This was exceptional and clearly deserves its lofty status. There is so much action, intrigue and beauty jam-packed in Burt Kennedy's script for this 72 minutes. Every shot is finely composed and exquisitely filmed. I dare you to find a better supporting cast. Sure, the four-hour epics by the Sir David Leans and Victor Flemings out there are great, but I'd rather see a simple story, brilliantly told than the gluttonous two-to-three-hour pieces of self-important crap you find these days. Let that be my epitaph.

I was so close to even giving this a perfect grade. It's honestly THAT good.
½ April 29, 2016

I was so close to even giving this a perfect grade. It's honestly THAT good.
January 17, 2016
The quintessential western. Perfect cast, great country, good guys verses bad guys and Indians. Given the time and place and potential they did the best they can. And it was very good even the somewhat lame romantic competition.
May 10, 2015
My favourite Western of all time. A cracking script, tension, a neat twist, great performances - particularly from Pernell Roberts - and the beautiful rugged landscape of Lone Pine. The final scenes give it one of the most satisfying endings of any Western. The best Boetticher-Scott collaboration, which is saying something when you consider Seven Men From Now, The Tall T and Comanche Station.
February 20, 2015
Good not great.....should have been better with the quality of the cast on hand.
½ November 18, 2014
Ride Lonesome is a perfectly fine sort of western, but the problem is is that I saw Comanche Station a week before Ride Lonesome, and the the two movies are basically carbon copies of each other. The broader plot it different, but they share many similar character and plot points. The relationships between the female lead and Randolph Scott are the same, as are Scott and the main villain(s). The main villain in both shares a lot of respect for Scott, has a chance to kill him with his back turned and doesn't, later almost decides to walk away and live but then ultimately decides to fully confront Scott.l Even the villain's posse in both films get cold feet and are spared (kinda). Comparing the two movies together makes me feel like the scripts were made with a screenwriting book on structure, or something. To be fair, I guess it's more like Howard Hawks liking and recycling Rio Bravo so much that he basically remade it with El Dorado and Rio Lobo.
May 25, 2014
A smooth ride along bumpy trails--Entertaining oater - Look out for James Coburn's debut!!
½ December 27, 2013
I told him I'd be alone after I buried you.

A bounty hunter and a young woman he encountered along the way are escorting a young man into town to be hanged. They are pursued by the young man's older brother. The young man, the older brother, and the bounty hunter seem to have a past that remains a secret to the young woman. The bounty hunter seems to be taking his time, not worrying about the pursuing brother at all. As the brother gains ground, a shootout and confrontation that explains their past unfolds.

"I don't know how much they're paying you to bring me in, but it's not enough. Not nearly enough."

Budd Boetticher, director of Bronco Buster, Bullfighter and the Lady, The Cimarron Kid, The Magnificent Matador, Comanche Station, and A Time for Dying, delivers Ride Lonesome. The storyline for this picture is surprisingly good and the characters were fascinating and wonderfully delivered. The script and action sequences were both perfect and the film was brilliantly paced. The cast delivers wonderful performances and includes Lee Van Cleef, Randolph Scott, Pernell Roberts, James Coburn, and Karen Steele.

"I shot myself in the leg once."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred the infamous Lee Van Cleef, one of my all time favorite western actors. He actually wasn't in this movie very much, but the main and supporting characters were awesome and I adored how the story unfolded and the ultimate conclusion. Overall, this is an underrated, epic western that is a must see for fans of the genre.

"I have no more use for him."

Grade: B+/A- (8.5)
½ November 23, 2013
Randolph Scott , Pernell Roberts , James Best , James Coburn leads the cast in this Cowboy epic,
Randolph Scott is a bounty hunter who sets out to capture A wanted murderer, Billy John, however all does not go to plan, soon he is joined by two outlaws he enlists the help continue his journey to Santa Cruz to take Billy John to be hanged.
Brigade stops at a staging post, where he saves the life of the stunning Karen Steele,Mrs. Carrie Lane from an Indian attack,
Indian attacks contiue, and they offer a horse for Mrs.Carrie Lane , this is refused so the Indians persist, also Billy Johns brother it following them to rescue his younger brother.
On top of that Pernell Roberts has fallen for the stunning Mrs Lane, a very enjoyable film,well acted and enough going on to keep the weakest western fan happy.
½ March 4, 2013
The last shot is good. Hello.
½ January 9, 2013
Another one of the Ranown westerns of the 1950s (starring Randolph Scott and produced by Harry Joe Brown), directed by Budd Boetticher. Many critics call this the best one, but it may depend on the order in which you see them (I started with Seven Men from Now, then The Tall T, and Comanche Station). Yes, Scott is his usual laconic self, harboring a secret that he is too stoic to reveal. Yes, he falls in with a couple of bad guys (including James Coburn) with whom he has an uneasy truce, despite their obvious ill intent. Yes, there is a quasi-love interest in whom Scott shows little direct interest. Yes, the movie drifts through a variety of terrains with the plot advancing during campsite conversations. Perhaps what elevates Ride Lonesome a bit is the nature of Scott's secret and what happens at the final meeting with Lee Van Cleef at the hanging tree (or in fact, directly afterward).
July 8, 2012
Great revenge flick. I like how Scott's character doesn't reveal his motivation until the end, leaving us to wonder all the whole what's up. Then once his hand is laid out, the whole matter is resolved in ten minutes. I liked the way the characters interacted with each other--it's really what makes the film successful as the whole of the plot up to the last 15 minutes is the group of them riding to Santa Cruz while being chased by Indians and an angry brother. Scott is back to being serious here, and not any less to be reckoned with.
July 6, 2012
A well made western.
½ May 17, 2012
Ride Lonesome is an entertaining film. It is about a wanted murderer who is captured by a bounty hunter who intends to take back to Santa Cruz. Randolph Scott and Karen Steele give excellent performances. The script is good but drags a little in places. Budd Boetticher did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure. Ride Lonesome is a must see.
April 23, 2012
A classic western with classic stars. No western can be bad with Randolph Scott. Karen Steele is one beautiful lady too. Bud Boetticher Westerns are very realistic. A guy gets hit and a welt shows for the rest of the movie.
April 23, 2012
classified as a B movie this western rises above that rating
rubystevens
April 11, 2012
randolph scott, pernell roberts, lee van cleef and james coburn. not my favorite in the ranown cycle but still damn good stuff
January 24, 2012
One of the most precisely framed films you will. A visual masterpiece in other words. It also has one of the greatest final shots of all time.
June 4, 2011
A cool revenge story slow burns its way through this western. Unfortunately, I found Randolph Scott (who I know is well liked by genre fans) completely lacking in anything one might mistake for charisma. The rest of the cast is fine, and the finale is fantastic. I'm not giving up on Scott, but as far as first impressions go, this wasn't so great.