Ride the Divide - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ride the Divide Reviews

December 28, 2014
This movie follows riders on a grueling mountain bike race down the continental divide (from Banff to the Mexico border). A couple of them do it relatively easily, and their ability is impressive. More impressive though are the people who really struggle with it and have to decide whether to stay with it or quit. Overall, the scenery is great and the people are interesting and inspiring.
August 10, 2014
Incredible documentary film about a fairly unknown race where less than half of all it's participants have finished the entire 2,700 mile journey. This one is well directed and well produced ; with great camera shots of breathtaking landscapes! What I enjoyed most is the element of emotion captured as the riders communicate their thoughts about the race , it offers a great intimacy almost like we the viewer are riding along! 4 stars
October 20, 2013
This is a great movie that explains the inner battles you go through the longest bicycle endurance Race. Very well produced and the music sound track is very well put together,
August 14, 2013
Ignore most of the reviews for this documentary as they are for a completely different movie called 'The Divide'. Ride The Divide is a fantastic film about one of the hardest bike races in the world and it is both inspirational and very well made. If you are into biking you'll love this!
April 30, 2013
Wow. What a great film. It really demonstrates human will and strength, and mind over matter. I really enjoyed being on this journey with the cyclists.
April 24, 2013
very interesting on the challenges of being on your own through the wilderness pushing the body to its limits
December 23, 2012
All the critics reviews are for a movie called "The Divide" not this movie which is why the rating is so low. I loved it. Makes me want to ride it.
November 12, 2012
Nice flick to learn about the race and see what an endurance race can do to someone mentally and physically. That being said as someone who has biked the route (the route was designed as a touring route, not a race course) this documentary shows almost nothing of the vast terrain and beautiful locations that are visited while riding.
November 6, 2012
Extremely inspiring documentary. Being a mountain biker myself, I found it to be very interesting and inspiring. Definitely a film with a niche audience as those outside of mountain biking would probably gain very little entertainment value out of it.
September 18, 2012
I was compelled to like it before it began, having my own interest in riding that trail. I could not, however, connect with the riders' stories. Too much complaining, not enough en route footage. Where was the Go Pro? Too bad there was snow on the high mountain passes, just start riding later in the summer!
August 5, 2012
Thought it was a well-done documentary about a grueling endurance race. Beautifully shot.
May 31, 2012
I liked this movie. The best part was the Colorado footage. It starts out a little slow through snow and mountains in Canada as a group, and then gets a little bogged down in the physical and mental parts of being alone for days at a time riding 100 miles a day with 5,000 feet of Elevation or more .. maybe not a movie for the " Average ' person but for a true bike enthusiast and Rocky Mountain scenery lover it made me want to go Ride the Colorado part of the trail ..
½ April 29, 2012
This doc was done well..probably the best it could have been done. I can imagine it must have been very hard to cover such a race with only a small crew.
The thought of "racing" this is crazy..but the thought of riding it sounds fun.
Worth a watch if you are into adventure cycling.
December 5, 2011
Within minutes of watching, I was trying to talk my grilfriend into doing this race. I enjoyed the film and left very inspired by it. Would like to ride it myself one day.
½ March 1, 2011
I saw a screening of this at MEC the other night. On the whole a good story, but I have to admit I did get a bit bored. They focused the whole story on a couple of the leaders and a couple of those off the back. Everyone that they focused on dropped out (for various reasons) but two. What really hit home to me was how isolated you are on the course putting in mile after mile just turning the pedals over. No one to talk to, nothing but you, your bike, and the trail/road. The eventual winner really likes the solitude this offers; an escape from the world. Those further back have a lot of difficulty with it. It is this internal mental desolation that causes a lot of them to crack. Of course they all develop overuse injuries pretty fast, but it's the psychological head games they play with themselves that push them over the edge.

I learned that I don't ever want to suffer that much on a bike. Even if it would be a life changing ride. I've had my share of life changing events (including a ride or two), I'll stick to learning to DJ and racing Super Ds.