Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles Reviews

December 5, 2014
Meaning of the family was beautifully portrayed in this touching story. Good watch for the Father's day.
December 27, 2013
And suddenly Mr. Zhang has decided to let me down.
May 19, 2013
Kinda manipulative and simplistic, but it did get to me a few times and I ended up enjoying it. That narration needs to go, though.
½ May 4, 2013
Emotionally touching study of familial love and grief set against the breath-taking beauty of rural China.
½ January 7, 2013
Not the coolest or most beautiful one Zhang Yimou has made but what an achievement, using almost 100% real people instead of actors!! I had no idea watching it, and when you think..some directors often can't even direct professionals towards a good performance! At the beginning I thought I wasn't going to like it much, but sure enough I was choked up just half an hour into the movie, and was tearing up at the end - something no other filmmaker has been able to do to me ever, yet Zhang Yimou has done it many times. However, it is a tad disappointing in that it's not on par with most of his other films. Little slow and low-budget. Could almost be documentary television. Still . . . 4.5 out of 5 is one of his worst movies? That tells ya something.
December 6, 2012
A film about a person making a film?? Filmception?
June 10, 2012
One probably needs to appreciate the art of opera to appreciate this film. Having experienced seeing operas, as well as playing many classical tunes in my lifetime, I feel that I might find this more interesting than just your normal everyday person.
½ June 6, 2012
GREAT GREAT MOvie !!!
April 6, 2012
Yimou's masterpiece.
½ December 20, 2011
This film is the definition of "Beautiful story." An emotional journey of a father who struggles to mend the relationship with his dying son. Zhang Yimou should keep making this kind of film instead of making wire action CGI bullshit action films with stories stolen from Akira Kurosawa.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Arctic.
½ October 5, 2011
It could have been better if the local villagers had put more effort in acting. Ken Takakura and the lil Chinese boy were very good here.
½ February 20, 2011
Riding Alone is a great story and told very beautifully.
February 3, 2011
very moving film about 2 father and son relationships and how much a father loves his son even though they havnt seen each other or spoken in a long long time. brilliant!
December 1, 2010
Cheesy for some and slow for others, but for me, Yimou has a magic touch for creating a particular mood - a kind of wordless longing - and capturing the subtleties of Asian emotion. This one in particular really took me back to being an outsider in Asia. And China, as ever, is a beautiful backdrop to look at. 4/5 from me. 80% on RT.
½ November 17, 2010
A shockingly dazzling picture. That's what I got from watching more than half and a hour. For most of the first half hour I cannot hold my drowsiness, but after Gouichi arrived in China, it feels like the film is finally started. Overall, it is not one of the best works of Yimou. The film also lacks of strong characterization; I almost thought Gouichi isn't a professional since he looked more fragile and unconvincing (for the first half time). Lucky me I was wrong.
The driving force of the story is the reason beyond the journey. Like every journey we had known, Gouichi also finds his journey is more than a hopeless way to reconcile with his son; after all, he's wasting too much time to detour to the village and gotten lost on the way back home. But it is a worthwhile journey. He never gets the chance to reconcile with his son, but the journey mirrors his own reasoning. When the son dies, he grows a father-son-like relationship with Yang Yang who in contrast never sees his own father. They are destined to meet each other; as Gouichi meets Yang Yang, he starts to reconcile with his past while Yang Yang starts to know a fatherly love he never received before.
Filled with the beauty of the inland of China and its oriental art, the film delivers a deeply poetical life of a father (Jiamen's paternal love is also represented by Gouichi's) and son (Kenichi's father-hating character is represented by Yang Yang). It is not as good as his previous films, not even close to Red Lantern. But for the sake of so-called unexpected turn by a major filmmaker, the film does a lot enough to impress its audience universally.
October 2, 2010
Unfortunately, however it was possible for RT to get the synopsis wrong, they did. The old man did not travel with his dying son. That aside, this movie was a masterpiece on many levels. That most of the actors had no prior acting experience and then were paired with Ken Takakura, a long established talented leading man, often gave this movie a magical quality.A beautifully mounted film, a well written screenplay that unfolds and often evokes deep empathy for the central characters, especially the father whose dying son wants nothing to do with him. Within this dynamic, the father seeks to redeem himself and honor what he perceives his sons wishes to be, which involves great personal and emotional sacrifice on the part of the father. Ultimately the magic that unfolds is between the father and the people who befriend and empathize with his plight as well as the fathers opportunity to show warmth and love for the son of the very man who spurred on his initial journey. This is a movie about redemption down an often difficult and demanding path. I found myself at times smiling, rejoicing and lastly crying as this movie will move one in those ways and more.
½ October 2, 2010
Watch for the talent or the locations or the story; this movie is excellent and will stick with you.
September 16, 2010
"????走???" touched me throughout, made me sobbed uncontrollably. I gave this film 5 stars not just because its a touching film, but it fully depicts both culture very well. Both being Asian, but Japanese and Chinese speaks very different language and shared different cultures. I like what Takata said when he sees the Chinese Opera singer wept in public, he thought he was fortunate to be able to express himself so freely. That was an example of 2 different culture. Seeing how the Chinese showing their generosity & kindness, that is what I know of the true Chinese people. The film took place in Lijiang - one of the most beautiful place in China. I truly recommend everyone to see this film. Zhang Yimou's greatest film in a long while. Thumbs up!
September 14, 2010