Right at Your Door - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Right at Your Door Reviews

½ February 22, 2014
The basic weight of this movie fell of Rory Cochrane, and he killed it.. Great use of single location and looming doom.
February 1, 2014
Right at Your Door (Chris Gorak, 2006)

I've had Right at Your Door sitting in my Amazon movie wishlist for I don't know how long-probably since it first came out. Once I resubscribed to Netflix, I moved it straight into the DVD queue, and when it showed up for Instant Streaming, I moved it over and watched it within a couple of days (given the size my my Instant queue-oh, excuse me, My List-that happens approximately once in a blue moon). I wish, given all that, I could say it's a better movie than it is. It's not an entirely awful one, but it certainly didn't live up to "I've been waiting seven years to see this".

I will tell you right off in the synopsis that if you're watching this one at Netflix Instant, this is another one of those movies where if I had implemented it, the Netflix Synopsis Accuracy meter would be sitting right there at zero. The Netflix Synopsis had me believing that Brad (Argo's Rory Cochrane), our hero, is sitting in his house just outside the radius of the dirty bomb attacks that hit Los Angeles at the beginning of the movie, becoming increasingly crazier and more paranoid, to the point where he's gibbering and drooling in the corner, eating his wife Lexi (K-PAX's Mary McCormick) after cooking her thigh over a bonfire or something. I'm sure there's a way that could be farther than what actually happens, but I can't offhand think of it. Instead, Lexi goes off to work, the dirty bombs hit, Brad's at home camping out with the neighbor's gardener, Alvaro (Scarface's Tony Perez), and trying to reach Lexi via cellphone, which is of course impossible after a terrorist attack. There's also a neighborhood kid, Timmy (Scotty Noyd Jr., who had the misfortune to be in Dark House), who's afraid to go home because...well, that gets into the second half of the movie, at which point we are heading deep into spoiler territory. There are also government agents. Talking about them is not getting into spoiler territory, because if you've seen any two movies about terrorist attacks that contain government agents, you know which side they're on.

The setup is good, if a little understated; I figured Gorak was just taking his time getting the tension ramped up. And then it never got started...and never got started...and never got started. Drama, not thriller. But a little tension works well in a drama, and besides that, it's obvious from the pacing and the sequence of events that this is meant to be a thriller, so in the end, it simply misses the mark. Still, you can see glimpses of what could have been, and if that works for you, give this one a shot. **
January 24, 2014
Não deixa de ser impressionante que o filme consiga criar um eficiente e convincente clima apocalíptico mesmo com seu baixo orçamento. As atuações e os diálogos entre o casal também merecem destaque. Entretanto, o longa decepciona em seu final que não faz jus à tensão criada em seu primeiro e segundo ato.
January 9, 2014
This movie was cool in a "what would you do?" kind of way.
January 3, 2014
A horrifying concept..and something that anyone living in a major city should be prepared for on some level.
January 3, 2014
An awful, but plausible story, with an unexpected twist towards the end. Unnerving and relentlessly claustrophobic, it's not a typical apocalyptic horror story. And it's especially effective in the way it's told. Usually, as viewers, we're party to information that characters don't have and can see all the way around the story. That is not the case here, we learn (or don't learn) at the same time as Brad and Lexi do, which definitely adds to the films overall feeling of hopelessness and impotence and adds a subtle commentary of frustration and distrust over those in authority and blind obedience.
December 24, 2013
Found this to be utterly tedious. Was told the ending would be worthwhile but it was tawdry.
November 29, 2013
Biological bombs have been detonated around downtown Los Angeles and the smoke and ash that follows has locked down the surrounding areas also, people are making their houses airtight as to keep the poison out but many are left out to die. The film focuses on Brad and Lexi who have just moved into their new home, Lexi heading to work when it happens and out of work musician Brad tries to get into town to rescue her but is thwarted at every turn, he doesn't hear from her and is worried so he seals himself in the house. Lexi turns up, sick. The military rule is seeking out the infected. It's a decently made film and well shot. The kicker is a little telegraphed but it's still worth watching.
½ September 29, 2013
So incredibly intense. Probably the most disturbing movie of 2007.
August 7, 2013
excellent & very intense drama with a very interesting story/situation
the two leads are superb & the 1st 15 mins is done so well with an nice twist at the end
a pretty good virus/horror film
August 1, 2013
Why is everybody an arsehole in this? Why does she even want to get into the house? Why does everyone hate the latino guy? Why did I even bother to review this? So many questions, so few answers.
July 28, 2013
interesting little apocalyptic horror/thriller
July 25, 2013
A chemical weapon or 'dirty bomb' is set of in Los Angeles and the toxic cloud is quickly spreading over the city and surrounding area. Right at Your Door revolves around a couple living in the suburbs - Brad & Lexi. Lexi is on her way into the city for work as the weapon hits and the story is from the perspective of Brad at home. As Brad learns more and more of the disaster from news reports and the cloud engulfs his home he struggles to contact Lexi and ultimately he has to make the decision to seal his house and let no one back in to secure his own survival. It's low budget and didn't get much distribution at the time of release but this is no indication of it's quality. It is well filmed and the editing and Direction give a heightened sense of realism. There are a host of films addressing issues of War and Terror but on a much larger scale. Right at Your Door brings it right back to an individual - how it affects one man and his relationship. The script is solid and the story is gripping. The ending has a great payoff that will not disappoint. Recommended.
May 8, 2013
Interesting ending....nothing else
½ January 31, 2013
Plot was okay and movie didn't really get boring at any point. Great ending and an unexpected twist.
December 31, 2012
A woman working in downtown Los Angeles is exposed to the fallout of a detonated dirty bomb. She escapes the city and heads home to the suburbs where her pathetic husband has sealed her out of their house to avoid contamination.
This movie is full of stupid dialogue, illogical behavior and a twist ending that comes out of nowhere. Don't waste your time with this. All I wanted to do was beat the crap out of the husband and wife.
December 31, 2012
'Right at your Door' is a good (to very good) low-budget thriller, featuring a couple of commendable performances from Rory Cochrane and Mary McCormack in the lead roles.

I admire a movie that sets out to engage the viewer within the first few minutes, and that's exactly what happens here. Little to no time was wasted in getting the story moving, resulting in a nice running time of only 90 minutes.

For an independent film, I give 'Right at your Door' a pass mark for being original and thinking outside the square, especially in the way the movie ends. There were elements of the film I didn't like much, but these were few and far between.

If you want a bit of suspense, and even a fright or two, check out 'Right at your Door'.
November 28, 2012
My friend recommended this one to me, so I put it on my to see list. Kinda' glad that I did...The twist at the end was quite surprising. (Spoiler Alert) When ole dude coughed there toward the end, I knew something was up just not what. Anyway, this one is worth seeing at least one...
September 30, 2012
Surprisingly scary considering how this kinda thing could totally happen. Love the ending! like really really love the ending!
August 31, 2012
That movie where its trailer is damn good, but after watching the film you'll be surprised how wrong you are.

I did like how it started quickly. That's one good thing - no long scenes before the story happens. It's as soon as the bomb happens this movie got pathetic. The music was so awful, it was head numbingly sound effects all throughout. There was no suspense and no real big threat as he was safe inside.

And man or woman, you would still let a loved one inside your house. He was so selfish and unrealistic.

Above all, this film was tortuously boring and just down right awful.