Right Now, Wrong Then Reviews

• Apr 07, 2018

With a running time of two hours, the picture is divided into two. At sixty minutes, we have seen all there is to see in the meeting of strangers. At minute sixty-one, we are thrusted back into the story, title card included, where Cheon-soo is looking around an unfamiliar place-but now familiar to us-just as he did when we first laid eyes on his unconfident demeanor. And therein lies the magic of the film: It is a second chance to look at something... but this time more closely, more intensely. We note of similarities and differences, obvious and subtle: the placement of the camera, when it decides to go in for a closeup, how characters react to one another and what they choose to reveal or keep hidden depending on the flow of conversation. We have all been in a situation where we wondered what might have happened if we have done or said something differently, had been more honest, more daring or straightforward.

• Dec 22, 2017

This film overthinks the consequences of real life interactions, giving insight in the 'mechanics' of relationships in a society. Interesting.

• Aug 25, 2017

It is a story retold twice about an art house director meeting a painter in a provincial town. In the first part, the director is not 100% honest in his interactions and that leads to a disappointment. In the second part (a repeat of the same circumstance, but with protagonists behaving differently), he is more open about his opinions and the outcome is charming. I don't know how much of the real-life movie director's (Sang-soo Hong) romance with the main actress (Kim Min-hee) is reflected in this movie, but it is an honest look at a real life circumstance. It is a variation on Ground Hog Day, but the differences between the 2 parts and the style are more subtle.

• Aug 24, 2017

Half way through the film when I realized I was about to watch it again I felt like I was wasting my time. Luckily, the film made itself interesting again. Not necessarily a moral lesson, but close, the film goes about the right way of connecting with people. Neither way gets the lead character laid however. Wholesome for when you need it.

• Jul 05, 2017

Wonderful meditation on the creative process.

Wonderful meditation on the creative process.

• Aug 03, 2016

Subtle, funny, thoughtful, a bit moving. It can feel like a slog at times, especially if you went in not knowing what to expect, but it's a worthwhile film.

• Jun 25, 2016

Wrong now, wrong then.

Wrong now, wrong then.

• Mar 22, 2016

Sang-soo Hong pulls out the best out of those two actors. He allows us in as a third person witnessing this poignant story

• Jan 21, 2016