The Right Stuff - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Right Stuff Reviews

½ November 13, 2017
The Right Stuff is a crowd-pleasing, kind of sloppy biopic that could have used a few rewrites, but still succeeds at being a visual spectacle with some nice shot composition and editing.
August 23, 2017
A great film anyone would love
July 5, 2017
When I look down the cast list of The Right Stuff I cannot complain at all. Some of my favorite actors are sprinkled throughout this film and they are crushing these performances. Each character is unique and stands out as an individual. It's a huge cast, so some of them don't get a ton of time to make an impression, but I think most of them pull it off. Special recognition goes to Jeff Goldblum and Harry Shearer for injecting some great moments of humor.

As for the story of The Right Stuff, it is an interesting historical film. It has the feel of a biopic, but it doesn't focus in on one person. Instead it explores the history of the early manned missions into space. It's a topic that I am intrigued by, but I'm not sure it needed to have the entire first section of the film with the test pilots competing for the fastest flight speeds. In fact, the presence of Chuck Yeager as a character was a real mystery to me.

This is a long movie and so on reflection I thought the entire opening act (before the creation of the space program) could have been cut. This is not how I felt when watching it though. It felt like a smart setup because they would establish Yeager and then have him mentor Gordon Cooper, who would then take that knowledge into his astronaut career. But they barely spoke to one another and Gordon Cooper did not become the star of the film. He was there, but shared the spotlight with others.

There were so many things I wanted The Right Stuff to do, I kept having visions of what it could be. I wanted it to center on one character's journey, but it would only do that for a couple scenes and then moved onto the next guy. I thought they had potential to make a big theme out of the way these men would support and help one another through the program, but after touching on it for a moment you don't really see them lifting one another up. The movie didn't even get to the moon landing.

I didn't dislike The Right Stuff at all, there are a ton of high quality elements in it. I didn't get bored or annoyed by the film, even though it was longer than I'd usually like. However, I never felt myself locking into the story. I would watch a segment and hope to see how this was going to tie into the next sequence, but it rarely did. The entire movie felt almost like a TV show because it was a series of short stories all mashed into one film. Not a bad movie, but far from what I hoped it would be.
June 1, 2017
one of my all time fav films i love watching this film even though it over 3hrs long it gives you hope for humanity that if we set our minds to do something and are brave enough to try we can acomplish anything
½ May 26, 2017
It may have been a great one when it came out, but now it seems outdated and action-less. A total bore and a wasted evening that we'll never get back! And it could have easily been an hour shorter too...
May 4, 2017
Wonderful movie about real life heroes, about people who had pure courage and made man kind better.
½ April 28, 2017
A great visionary masterpiece unlike anything since 2001.
April 22, 2017
One of my all-time favorite movies. Never get tired of watching it.
April 10, 2017
Very well shot and acted film, at a time where action in the sky and in space was a big thing. It's still relevant today.
½ February 20, 2017
An impressively ambitious and hugely underrated classic of 80's American cinema.
February 11, 2017
This revered classic did not connect with me at all. Just plodding along, it felt overbloated. It does make for a decent history lesson, if it actually is accurate at all...
½ November 6, 2016
Very deliberately paced and longer (at 3+ hours) than needed. Very well shot for its time, with several really good screens documenting key moments in the history of U.S. flight.
November 4, 2016
An outstanding look at some fascinating topics and people. My only complaint is that -- at more than 3 hours -- it's a bit of a slog toward the end (even though the subject matter is fascinating).

Grade: A
October 16, 2016
Love this movie, watch it every time it is on TV
½ July 15, 2016
A great film about a great time in American history, when mankind first aimed to put men in space. It's a time I lived through, and even as a child, I understood I was living in a great time for the conquest of space. The Right Stuffis very much in the groove for the period and I experience that excitement all over again. Great film!
July 2, 2016
"The Right Stuff" is a fascinating true story with good acting, but the 3+ hour runtime is simply too long to be manageable in one sitting. This is reflected in the film's poor box office performance despite rave reviews from the critics. The film chronicles the transformation of military test pilots into NASA astronauts during the space race of the 1950's. If you are interested in either of these topics, the film will prove to be informative and entertaining. If you are indifferent to either of these topics, this will be the longest 192 minutes of your life. I watched the film in two chunks on separate days and I still found myself counting down the minutes until its ending. The film's length is a result of the emphasis on Chuck Yeager. It bothers me that the film introduces Yeager as what you would assume to be the main character, and then he disappears for nearly 2 hours before coming back at the end. He is included in the story because the future of space travel began with his fearlessness as a test pilot; however, his inclusion adds a significant amount of content to a story that does not concern him. This film received a slew of Oscar nominations including Best Picture, Cinematography, and Sam Shepard for Best Supporting Actor (ironically as Yeager, who shouldn't have been in the film). It was deserving of its wins in technical categories like Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Film Editing, and Best Sound, but I just wasn't impressed with the overall film. The acting of Ed Harris and Dennis Quaid is impressive, all of the training sequences are cool, and the filming of the Mercury missions truly brings space flight to life. "The Right Stuff" is an interesting look at NASA's entrance into the space race but I'd prefer to watch a 1-hour documentary version.
½ June 30, 2016
T minus 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....the decreasing score for this movie as it ages. 33 years later and this film really doesn't hold up to a new viewer like myself. It was twice as long as it should've been and only half of the movie it should be. Apollo 13 and the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon tell stories VASTLY superior in every way than The Right Stuff.
½ June 20, 2016
Lots of people have chronicled great feats of human ingenuity but few (if any) have done so while consistently maintaining a satirical and borderline surreal tone. It's hard to imagine that Kaufman was allowed bizarre flights of fancy (the bumbling government agents played by Jeff Goldblum and Harry Shearer, the press corps played by an improvisational comedy troupe, etc.) in a movie that features Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier and John Glenn orbiting the earth.
June 3, 2016
One of the greatest films of my lifetime. Have seen it more times than I can count.