The Right Stuff - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Right Stuff Reviews

October 16, 2016
Love this movie, watch it every time it is on TV
½ July 15, 2016
A great film about a great time in American history, when mankind first aimed to put men in space. It's a time I lived through, and even as a child, I understood I was living in a great time for the conquest of space. The Right Stuffis very much in the groove for the period and I experience that excitement all over again. Great film!
July 2, 2016
"The Right Stuff" is a fascinating true story with good acting, but the 3+ hour runtime is simply too long to be manageable in one sitting. This is reflected in the film's poor box office performance despite rave reviews from the critics. The film chronicles the transformation of military test pilots into NASA astronauts during the space race of the 1950's. If you are interested in either of these topics, the film will prove to be informative and entertaining. If you are indifferent to either of these topics, this will be the longest 192 minutes of your life. I watched the film in two chunks on separate days and I still found myself counting down the minutes until its ending. The film's length is a result of the emphasis on Chuck Yeager. It bothers me that the film introduces Yeager as what you would assume to be the main character, and then he disappears for nearly 2 hours before coming back at the end. He is included in the story because the future of space travel began with his fearlessness as a test pilot; however, his inclusion adds a significant amount of content to a story that does not concern him. This film received a slew of Oscar nominations including Best Picture, Cinematography, and Sam Shepard for Best Supporting Actor (ironically as Yeager, who shouldn't have been in the film). It was deserving of its wins in technical categories like Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Film Editing, and Best Sound, but I just wasn't impressed with the overall film. The acting of Ed Harris and Dennis Quaid is impressive, all of the training sequences are cool, and the filming of the Mercury missions truly brings space flight to life. "The Right Stuff" is an interesting look at NASA's entrance into the space race but I'd prefer to watch a 1-hour documentary version.
½ June 30, 2016
T minus 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....the decreasing score for this movie as it ages. 33 years later and this film really doesn't hold up to a new viewer like myself. It was twice as long as it should've been and only half of the movie it should be. Apollo 13 and the HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon tell stories VASTLY superior in every way than The Right Stuff.
½ June 20, 2016
Lots of people have chronicled great feats of human ingenuity but few (if any) have done so while consistently maintaining a satirical and borderline surreal tone. It's hard to imagine that Kaufman was allowed bizarre flights of fancy (the bumbling government agents played by Jeff Goldblum and Harry Shearer, the press corps played by an improvisational comedy troupe, etc.) in a movie that features Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier and John Glenn orbiting the earth.
June 3, 2016
One of the greatest films of my lifetime. Have seen it more times than I can count.
½ May 22, 2016
The Right Stuff is a fascinating, entertaining portrayal of the early days of the space program.
May 19, 2016
Great recount of the fantastic story of the beginnings of the amazing space race.
May 9, 2016
Engaging as it is funny, The Right Stuff is an entertaining look into the story of the Mercury 7.
May 4, 2016
Despite its formidable length, The Right Stuff entertains in every moment, spinning a great tale about the United States' first astronauts that will leave viewers wide-eyed and dreamy, believing anything is possible.
April 26, 2016
"The Right Stuff" is long-winded and, at times, inaccurate, but it's a stellar film that recounts one of the most important technological advances made in American history and memorializes the brave astronauts who put their lives at stake to reach for higher grounds.
April 21, 2016
I saw this for the first time in a long time almost forgot how great it is.
½ April 12, 2016
Really long but highly exhilarating, The Right Stuff is the best non-fiction, astronaut movie ever made!
½ April 10, 2016
"The Right Stuff" chronicles a triumphant and defining point in American history, thus leaving us with a movie for the ages.
February 20, 2016
What a great movie...America at its finest, fantastic cast, Sam Shepherd, and book by Tom Wolfe
February 16, 2016
The Right Stuff flies just a tad under the "great film" title that is normally thrust upon it, but a truly impressive American epic it is nonetheless.
½ November 30, 2015
Viewed this on 30/10/15
Though it's American jingoism can be slightly irritating, like it's running time, The Right Stuff is pompous, majestic and packs a lot of events into it. It is also one of the most unorthodox historical period drama/ biography (with a sci-fi touch) that I have ever seen and that too about unsung heroes. The film has magnificent cinematography and VFX that have stood the test of time. Director Phillip Kaufman does a good job and makes a good use of his actors and it's no wonder why this has inspired Nolan so much while making Interstellar. A splendid achievement in the field of cinema and a film that is overlooked more after all these years of it's release.
½ October 28, 2015
While it starts off fairly weakly, feeling a bit forced, The Right Stuff is a great film when it gets going. You could almost cut out everything before the Mercury project recruiting and have a great film. You'd lose Yeager as a character, but his historic contributions as a test pilot could be summed up in a newsreel and the entire focus could be on the early space race, just as the last 80% of the film is. The Air Force test pilot connection really only applies to three of the seven astronauts anyway. And while I obviously take issue with the start of the film, the latter 80% is nearly flawless. It's engaging, inspiring, well-acted, heart-felt, and a wonderful film honoring the brave men of the early space race.
October 10, 2015
Number 1 on my list of best movies of all time.
Literally all I need to say