Rigor Mortis Reviews

• Jun 18, 2019

Part homage to the 'Mr. Vampire' series (films about comical Chinese hopping vampire/zombie busters), part who's-who of chinese folklore creatures, part straight-up horror movie, and just a meta smidgen of washed-up movie star angst. No laughs to be found here like in the old Mr. Vampire movies, just eerie horror played straight. It actually works pretty well and makes for an interesting watch. The special effects are Hollywood level. The ending is a bit nihilistic but is in line with the feel of the rest of the film. Worth seeing.

• Jan 30, 2019

This movie is awesome. Martial Arts, horror, comedy, thriller, action, suspense it has everything. I enjoyed this a whole heck of a lot. I watched it twice in a row.

• Jan 04, 2019

Pretty awesome little supernatural action thriller. Very dark, very stylish. Really dug the ending. Didn't know rice could kill vampires. Good to know, I better stock up.

• Oct 05, 2018

Couldn't hold my attention, was on cell a lot. But it wasn't scary. May be try again to see if you're more into it.

• Sep 23, 2016

creeepy asian horror

creeepy asian horror

• Jun 27, 2016

I had a hard time following what was even going on in this movie.. :p

I had a hard time following what was even going on in this movie.. :p

• Feb 03, 2016

This is some seriously scary shit. It is a smorgasbord of horror film genres wrapped up into one nightmare of a film.

• Sep 12, 2015

This film is a really fun and stylish blend of horror and martial arts, and something that definitely lived up to the trailer and accompanying images. Great stuff. Recommended.

• Mar 21, 2015

I saw this at TIFF 2014 and although I found it confusing at points, I still found it to be one of the best horror films I have seen in a while. One thing that set it apart from other recent horror films was that it took itself very seriously and had a melancholy tone rather than a silly self aware one. I found this quite refreshing. It is also filled with some hauntingly beautiful imagery and over the top action scenes which keep it from getting too dull.

• Mar 13, 2015

A salute to once glorious Hong-Kong Chinese zombie films; an aggregation of nostalgic and modern horror elements that shows the dazed and worrying reality of Hong-Kong horror films by the diversity of this genre, such as Japanese and Western horror styles. This film contains so many Hong-Kong Chinese zombie cultures as well as concerns over humanism.