Ringers - Lord of the Fans Reviews

April 19, 2008
A pretty good doc about the LoTR through the ages. It's not really about the movies but more about the cultural impact the books have had on the world since first being published.
I learned a lot about the journey to the big screen and recommend this to people who are fans of the movies or the books.
October 19, 2010
From the days of Tolkein telling the stories to his children to the Peter Jackson films, this documentary really covers the gamut. The hippie fascination and the modern-day fans are covered. Some stupid interstitial stuff like the interviewer who thinks he's funny and the hippie skits (just an excuse to have a Black person in this?) should have been cut. A variety of folks such as Terry Pratchet and David Carradine along with Peter Jackson and many of the actors from the films are featured; Elija Wood states that the trilogy is very metal and Blind Guardian are also mentioned. Geddy Lee and Lemmy Kilmister are interviewed for this documentary. Worth a watch!
½ January 25, 2010
it wasn't that bad for a doc. I liked seeing all the slightly crazy people in their costumes. I liked the interviews with the stars of the movies. the only thing I really disliked is the "groovy transitions" for each decade they were talking about...
This doc made me feel like a very mild fan compared to most of the people in this movie! :)
½ February 17, 2008
An uneven tale of the books and movies and the impact they have had and do have on society. Parts were quite good; parts were very slow and frivolous.
December 31, 2007
Documenting the zeal of Tolkien fans. Generally entertaining but a rather middling Middle Earth excursion.
½ July 15, 2007
Uneven production values and a heavy reliance on slideshow visuals bog down this documentary on the LOTR phenomenon. There is a fascinating film in there somewhere, but it goes about 5 MPH below the speed limit without a map.
July 6, 2007
For a documentary it's okay, but only semi interesting. The music is pretty good, but it moves at a slow pace. One scene, where their listing various collectibles, is just very weird and pointless. The narration is good, and interviews show insight into the ultimate fan's mind. Still it's main problem is it's slow and not very attention grabbing. But if like documentries, LOTR, and the history about hopw the books came to be and what inmpact they've had on society then go ahead and watch this.
½ June 22, 2006
Tolkien fan that I am, I enjoyed the documentary's comprehensive appreciation for the history of the material it honors, and the joy with which it was made.
January 9, 2013
I think this is just promoting blind nerdism where a person doesn't have to be passionate about a movie's ideals but rather how cool looking it was.