Ringers - Lord of the Fans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ringers - Lord of the Fans Reviews

May 11, 2013
I had expected a type of 'Trekkies' documentary, in reality it was a non stop succession of interviews. Interesting yet slightly dull.
½ January 22, 2013
An exceptional documentary, but cheesy at times. But, really, what Tolkien fan is going to not like cheese!? =P
January 9, 2013
I think this is just promoting blind nerdism where a person doesn't have to be passionate about a movie's ideals but rather how cool looking it was.
½ May 15, 2012
Uneven production values and a heavy reliance on slideshow visuals bog down this documentary on the LOTR phenomenon. There is a fascinating film in there somewhere, but it goes about 5 MPH below the speed limit without a map.
½ September 20, 2011
Pretty interesting doc on the 50 year fandom of Lord of the rings. Had some really interesting nuggets of trivia.
May 12, 2011
pretty interesting Documentary mostly just for the fans of the films.
October 19, 2010
From the days of Tolkein telling the stories to his children to the Peter Jackson films, this documentary really covers the gamut. The hippie fascination and the modern-day fans are covered. Some stupid interstitial stuff like the interviewer who thinks he's funny and the hippie skits (just an excuse to have a Black person in this?) should have been cut. A variety of folks such as Terry Pratchet and David Carradine along with Peter Jackson and many of the actors from the films are featured; Elija Wood states that the trilogy is very metal and Blind Guardian are also mentioned. Geddy Lee and Lemmy Kilmister are interviewed for this documentary. Worth a watch!
September 3, 2010
I love watching "making of" documentaries that follow the journey that filmmakers take in order to see their dreams come true. This documentary is unique in the fact that they show where the story came from, the struggle it had to be accepted, its rise and fall in fame, and its final culmination at the top. The Lord of the Rings is one of the most interesting stories ever made. It wowed readers back in the 50's, found a younger and hipper crowd through the 60' s and 70's, tried to find a new audience in the world of animation, and finally fell out of all knowledge for almost 30 years (much like the ring of power). I think that these 'Lord of the Rings' films are more popular than the original 'Star Wars' saga for the simple fact that all ages and all interest groups come together to watch 'Lord' while, I feel, the 'Star Wars' fans are very unique and one of a kind. I think this documentary pairs very well to all the extras that are with the extended versions of all three films. If you're a fan of the movies or if you're curious about where it all began or if you want to see some pretty obsessive fans, then check this out.
June 24, 2010
A boring doc about pretty boring folks.
April 2, 2010
The movies were ok, but an entire documentary on the subject, no thank you :(
February 23, 2010
Being a fan of the source material I had been looking forward to this movie for some time. My zeal was highly misplaced, however, as this is a muddled and unfocused effort. Avoid this movie.
January 28, 2010
Pretty cool and hilarious at parts. I am a definite Tolkien-phile, but some of these people were so bizarre. Nice that they interviewed the cast, especially Elijah, since he is a fav! Whatever floats your boat:)
½ January 25, 2010
it wasn't that bad for a doc. I liked seeing all the slightly crazy people in their costumes. I liked the interviews with the stars of the movies. the only thing I really disliked is the "groovy transitions" for each decade they were talking about...
This doc made me feel like a very mild fan compared to most of the people in this movie! :)
January 16, 2010
Decent documentary, but lacked the depth fans of Tolkien would expect.
August 28, 2009
Could have been way better, but was fairly entertaining nonetheless.
August 5, 2009
Interesting little doc. that told me more about the history and impact on the LOTR's books. Some it was very good, some of it, like the 4 teens that kept on changing with the times were just lame. And some fans really need to take a step back and realize that it was only a book, having a little gandolf action figure hold a letter on Tolkins grave should not be something to really be proud of or boasted about.
July 20, 2009
An entertaining documentary exploring how JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books have influenced popular culture since they were first published in the 1950s.

As I learned from this film, the fandom of the keenest fans (referred to as 'Ringers') is on a par with fans of Star Trek.

Ringers are interviewed and speak enthusiastically about how the books have impacted their lives.
½ July 16, 2009
A really interesting and funny look at the history and fans or Lord of the Rings.
June 15, 2009
Amusing, but it would be more interesting if I were a fan of the books or the movies. Mostly, I watched it for the same reason I watched Trekkies: to see people obsess on things I find crazy. Then again, I obsess on things others most likely find crazy, so perhaps this is just an example of live and let live.
March 1, 2009
This movie was a little long in content. It has some funny moments. The true hilarity is in the special features in the interviews. That's the best part.