R.I.P. Rest In Pieces: A Portrait of Joe Coleman Reviews

• Jan 05, 2009

Awesome documentary on a revolutionary artist and misanthrope.

Awesome documentary on a revolutionary artist and misanthrope.

• Christopher B Super Reviewer
    Dec 08, 2008

A fantastic portrait of one of my favourite artists. At first I was afraid it was only going to focus on his bizarre antics, some of which I find kind of silly (though he explains them well) like biting the heads of live mice, blowing himself up and other acts of performance art. But shortly into the movie Coleman starts coming off as a fairly normal guy (maybe because I'm Catholic too) and fairly respectable. Sort of a reverse version of Crumb. It's great to see an extremely talented artist at work and explaining his inspirations, but it's amazing to see a great artist as a human being. Fantastic stuff.

• Sep 09, 2008

A man who's philosophy is that human beings are a virus and the earth is the host and that serial killers,diseases and mass murderers are the cure, Joe Coleman is a truly talented, original, and for me highly influential artist and this is a great documentary on his art and life. From detailed paintings of Serial Killer Ed Gein drawn to look like a saint in a stained glass window, performing art of acting like a leper in the city streets to even performing an autopsy as a piece of art, Joe Coleman is always creating and pushing the limit. In this documentary we see Coleman at work, talk to his friends including Independent filmmaker Jim Jarmusch and some observational footage of Joe and his colorful friends get boozed up and poetic.