R.I.P.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

R.I.P.D. Reviews

February 18, 2016
I actually ended up watching this movie a few days ago. I was as unimpressed as I thought it would be.
February 6, 2016
This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. My wife and I walked out and so did another couple in the audience. Zero stars!
½ February 6, 2016
Not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's still bad.
January 25, 2016
No enjoyment, no expectations, and no gratitude gives R.I.P.D. the ability to bore those who only watched this misguided film for Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds.
½ January 24, 2016
Reasonable and enjoyable film. Would not mind watching it again
½ January 23, 2016
I actually like this movie. I didn't mind the predictability or the not-so-great CGI. I think I'm just going to have to chalk this up to a guilty pleasure.
January 17, 2016
RIDP and MIB so look alike. Regardless of that, the cast of this movie is so awful, with cheesy jokes and full of cliche.
½ January 6, 2016
Absolutely mindless. Not even a consolation star, absolutely dumbfounded by this lackluster bust of a movie.

"Amazingly, awful."

Alliteration of the day.

0.0
December 2, 2015
Seeing this film for the first time, made a bad first impression instead of being close enough to tolerable. After seeing "R.I.P.D." two more times prior to this review, put my rating up by about one star.
½ November 17, 2015
Wanna be Men In Black.
November 11, 2015
I really liked this one!!! itīs too ridiculous but also itīs so funny}
½ November 6, 2015
One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. I rented this movie from the library and it wasn't even worth the $2.00 in late fees I was charged.
November 6, 2015
I love this movie. Granted, it is formulaic, but that doesn't mean it can't be good. Maybe it is because it's based off a comic (something I didn't know about) and so people don't like how it's represented.
½ November 4, 2015
R.I.P.D looked like a promising film in the trailers but it turned out to be a poorly acted film with action sequences that were full of shaky cam and and attempts at humour that failed miserably.âĶ
½ October 30, 2015
This was a funny movie. Sure, the CGI could have been better, but the story was great.
October 20, 2015
Thanks to the atrocious CGI, horrible script and lots of boredom, RIPD is a very unbearable watch.
October 6, 2015
Enjoyed it but it has so many things wrong with it.
½ October 4, 2015
A movie titled R.I.P.D. deserves to get ripped. Just because of that title. So I'll be honest. I didn't go into this one as a blank slate.

Rest In Peace Department, as the undertitle of this film reads, tells the story of crooked young cop Nick (Ryan Reynolds), who gets killed by his partner and doesn't go to heaven. Instead, he is transported to an afterlife in which he gets to hunt dead souls that have returned to earth.

Still with me? He has a cowboy/sheriff (Jeff Bridges) partner who's been on the job for 200 odd years and of course his outward appearance to everyone on earth is not his former self. Predictable drama and formulaic action ensues.

Instead of having one clear goal, this movie goes off the rails early. There's too many things going on with Nick: a new reality at the RIPD, a new partner, but unfinished business with his old partner, new assignments, a shady past of his own, a sudden master plan by 'undead' to open the gates of hell, et cetera.

It's one big jumble that occasionaly presents the perfect opportunity to deliver a funny line or some physical comedy. But it's few and far between, not to mention predictable and run-of-the-mill. The characters are flat, the delivery by Reynolds, Bridges and the other cast is less than 'meh' and just about everything in this production phones it in. I really can't believe anyone involved would list this one on their top 1000 of proudest achievements of their careers.

This movie was made by some very rich production companies, so of course everything here is state of the art, fast and crisp. Thank the heavens that I did not see any 3D, but I'm sure they threw a version of it out there. I'd like to think that 3D fanatics would totally wet their pants over long jumps and falls up and down elevator shafts in full 3D, but I digress. Despite all that money, equipment and all that pizzazz, the end result is soulless and utterly boring.

At the helm of this gem is German director Robert Schwentke, most famous for films like 'Flightplan' and 'RED'. Sharing the shame with Mr. Schwentke are producers Michael Fottrell, Neal Moritz and Mike Richardson. I wonder how they slept at night after wasting a reported $130,000,000 budget on a $33M return after a very short run in theatres. That's a 100 million dollar loss, folks! Oh, not to worry, let's make another installment or two of "Furious!" and make three quarters of a billion dollars there.

And that's the reality, folks. They lose some here, but win a whole lot more there. And in this never ending cycle of utter crap you get either the next sequel to Furious or a crappy, overproduced, heartless piece of sadness like RIPD.

To summarize: this was a complete waste of time. If you have any chance to not see this, I'd suggest you take it.

Pros: There's about 17 seconds of funny in there. Somewhere. Oh, and it's set in Boston.
Cons: The other 95 minutes and 43 seconds.
Verdict: Avoid!
September 27, 2015
Nice effects, some humour, overalll a simple and pleasant adventure. Not worth the low score here.
September 16, 2015
I genuinely enjoyed this movie. It had some great laughs and I always find it hard to dislike a Ryan Reynolds movie, so that worked to its favour. The plot it very similar to Men In Black, but that takes nothing away from the hilarity and craziness within. Well worth your time.