Rise of the Footsoldier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Footsoldier Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
Having seen Essex Boys i wasnt expecting much from this London Gangster film.
It may not be The Long Good Friday ,but bloddy hell its not half bad.
Yes its violent ,but these guys were so off there head most of the time all they knew was violence.
The cast is excellent with Craig Fairbrass delivering a truly terrifying performance as a coked up villain.
Ricci Harnett should be one to watch for the future and the presence of Billy Murray and Frank Harper gives the film some kudos.
A cult film in the making and not as bad as i thought it would be
April 23, 2016
Good british gangland film, cos its true makes it better watch this film
½ March 27, 2016
Not a bad film, The first half hour was the best for me and then it just kind of got very dark and pretty gruesome at times, I know it was based on true events so they couldn't really change it, Worth a watch if you like british gangster films.
½ March 20, 2016
I'm not normally a fan of cockney gangster films, or of hooligan films. This is a bit of both and the thing that makes this different is that it's brutal. It's properly brutal and doesn't hold back in what it shows you. It's also a true story which makes it a bit more interesting.
½ March 2, 2016
Excellent film and gripping and captivating from start to finish
February 11, 2016
Now this is what you call a classic British-crime thriller with all the works: Football(although i can't stand Football but it sort of starts the movie in a great way), drugs, guns, violence with loads of force behind it. Rise Of The Footsoldier is not only a British class but is also a very good story based on true events that took place back in 1995.
November 29, 2015
"oooolriiight guvvvnaaaaa" - Same old shite.
½ August 28, 2015
I feel you would have needed to have been present in the country of origin and lived the crime and possibly read the book to appreciate the awe that is this grizzly true story.
I did.
Great story.
Great film.
June 8, 2015
Comedy gold. So fucking funny. Stone is priceless as an Alan Curbishley lookalike and Fairbrass gives one of the funniest performances in the history of cinema. The scene in the restaurant where he is getting a hand job under the table cracks me up but that is eclipsed by "with a little bit of luck I might get a golden shower tonight." A shit film with an annoying voice over but the double act of Fairbrass and Stone make this a must see comedy classic.
March 11, 2015
Cant believe this has bad reviews, one of my all time favorites
½ January 22, 2015
Having loved Green Street, and enjoyed The Football Factory, the true story seemed enticing. Unlike similar films, the brutality though was senseless and the characters unlikable. In trying to tell the whole story, the plot wandered towards the end, and I just got lost in a swarm of new faces.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A quite good movie about drugs , sex and brutal violence between gangs in England. Its a true story and follows a guy named Carlton Leach in his life from being a football hooligan and later some more heavier stuff. I have seen better movies before but this is worth seeing if you like movies like Romper Stomper and Green Street Hooligans.
November 16, 2014
Loved it. I'd ignore most critics especially Catherine from BBC. If you're a fan of violent, organised crime films then this is definitely one to watch. Yes it does get nasty at parts but obviously to give viewers of what it was actually like. If you're not a fan of these aspects then don't watch. Otherwise people who aren't fussy and love a bit of gore, violence, hard man acting then watch it.

Let's be honest most of these critics who have given it a low rating don't seem like the type of people who would generally enjoy these types of films. Forget them, if you want a real review and perception ask people who are fans of the genre, your ordinary film viewer who's into these types of films, not some woman from the BBC.
½ October 11, 2014
Based on a true story, this movie is more violent than the average British gangster movies. There are certain scenes when the violent cinematography tends to go overboard but I am assuming that is what the director was going for. If you like British gangster type movies then this should be right up your alley. If not, then this is definitely not going to be your cup of tea.
July 21, 2014
8/10
Love that movie, nasty
June 14, 2014
Based on the life of Carlton Leech, Essex gangs and foot ball violence. This movie was ugly and horrible and the movie was just non-stop violence in every single part of this film. The characters are just despicable and unlikable that you wish there would die a lot faster. The story it self has been doing before in the past in better movies.
½ May 20, 2014
A slick and brutal gangster epic. This film exudes modern mobsters vibe and atmosphere. It's extreme in it's portrayal of modern mafia activety with some of the most brutal and grisly violence in modern movies a nd this movie is rife with it. If you have the stomach to withstand this gruesome, graphic tale you owe it to yourself as a fan of cinema to watch this modern mafia opus.
½ April 30, 2014
Rise of the Footsoldier is ugly, sadistic, machismo nonsense, devoid of any entertainment value and completely without merits.
January 25, 2014
Brilliant. If you like very brutal violence that's non stop throughout, you going to love this. Nice and graphic.

Easily in my top 10 all time favourite films!!!!!

Awesome!!