The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond Reviews

November 29, 2015
You don't have to tell me you love me, I know you don't.

Jack 'Legs' Diamond and his sick brother hold up in New York and begin a life of petty crime and thievery. When Jack gets arrested, he decides to step their game up a notch and become a crime boss. He quickly climbs the ranks but gets a little too confident.

"Are you married?"
"Yes. Yes, but not to her."

Budd Boetticher, director of Seven Men from Now, The Tall T, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station, A Time for Dying, The Cimarron Kid, and Bronco Buster, delivers The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond. The storyline for this picture is very well done and contains some fantastic shootouts. The script is solid and very well delivered. The cast includes Ray Danton, Karen Steele, Elaine Stewart, Simon Oakland, and Dyan Cannon.

"Everybody wants favors."
"I'm not asking for a favor."

I saw this picture on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) schedule some time ago and DVR'd it. I finally got around to watching it and thought it was very clever and well done. This isn't perfect, but is a worthwhile addition to the classic gangster genre and in-line with Bogart classic gangster pictures from this era.

"I already have a partner tonight."
"I'll get rid of him."

Grade: B
July 13, 2013
Tough little Budd Boetticher crime picture, telling the story of prohibition gangster Legs Diamond. Filmed in the style of a 1920s Warner Bros gangster film, with terrific photography by Lucien Ballard, the film does an excellent job balancing action and genuinely interesting character drama. A must see for Boetticher fans and classic gangster film fans.
May 24, 2012
BEST GANGSTER MOVIE EVER!!!!!
May 23, 2012
good gangster/bio-pic
January 13, 2011
Absolute masterpiece by Boetticher, taking on the gangster as Horatio Alger figure. Budd drives home the irony of the failed war vet returning home to re-learn and more effectively apply his skills. Oates is a pure joy to see as the eager little brother, and the set pieces just build perfectly to establish the false expectation of invincibility.
November 13, 2010
Overlooked gangster picture with the fierce energy of the early classics. A rags to riches story with the typical hubristic, heartless, no-nonsense character battling to get to the top of the underworld.
January 2, 2010
½ January 2, 2010
It does well on a low budget, the cast of unknowns are quite good. I did find the complete lack of period detail a bit irritating, but it has a good pace and was always interesting. 6.5/10.
½ August 14, 2009
the title pretty much says it all. it's a pretty conventional gangster film, meaning it follows the genre conventions. it's a "bio" flick set in prohibition era america but obviously artistic license has been taken. the pacing was good - a certain amount of tension ran through the whole film, which kept my interest. nice to see a young warren oates (GTO from "two-lane blacktop") here in a minor role.