Rise of the Guardians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Guardians Reviews

February 19, 2017
This movie is awesome!
January 21, 2017
Solidly entertaining, and the kids loved it.
January 11, 2017
A cute family film that has beautiful animation, fast-paced action, and memorable characters. Although the plot could be confused at times, its still enjoyable, and the drama feels legitimately emotional. It's not my favorite animated film of all time, but I really like it, especially the characters.
January 6, 2017
Simply wretched. Almost NOTHING makes sense. Absolutely zero surprise this lost the studio hundreds of millions of dollars. Such an atrocious movie. Sad, really.
January 5, 2017
Beautiful film!!! Incredibly enchanting. I loved every minute. The power and innocence of a young child is so compelling and what is translated as the Magic of Christmas or whatever season for us adults. Loved this one.
½ January 3, 2017
The expendables family size in a mixture between action and adventure
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Love it! So pretty!!! And cute!!
½ December 27, 2016
es una historia diferente entre Santa Claus y Jack Frost, me gusta la interacción entre todos los personajes y su historia, pero no la voy a recordar mucho.
½ December 23, 2016
Rise of the Guardians is an exciting, magical ride with Jack Frost behind the wheel. A very nice Holiday movie full of emotion and humor that children and adults will love for years to come. We watch this together as a family every Christmas. A classic in our home it has become.
December 23, 2016
It may not measure up to some of DreamWorks Animation's better efforts but the stunningly animated Rise of the Guardians boasts enough action and solid voice acting, along with an interesting story, to help make the film one that should hopefully end up becoming a classic in the next couple of years.
½ December 18, 2016
While the idea of the holidays being connected isn't a new idea (see The Nightmare Before Chrismas (1993) for another take on it), there is something intrinsically interesting with making the respective figureheads of their representative mythos come together in an Avenger-esque fashion against a common enemy. Rise of the Guardians (2012) certainly does a good job of this, even if only two of its characters have anything to do with holidays at all. In its essence, the fanciful characters from our childhood banding together to fight evil personified is based on the belief that we all have something to believe in.

What I particularly like about Rise of the Guardians is the surprising depth of the characters chosen to fight for the belief of all children around the world. From a Russian-themed Santa Claus to the Australian Easter Bunny (expertly voiced by Alec Baldwin and Hugh Jackman, respectively), these added details to beloved childhood figures just adds to their personalities. Even the Boogeyman's ability to hide and utilize shadows merely emphasizes that each of these characters has abilities and strengths commensurate to their basic attributes, thus fleshing them out into well-rounded characters instead of just 2-dimensional bedtime stories.

Because of these colorful and unique characters, their interactions in this interesting plot were merely accentuated by the imaginative artistic style that Dreamworks animators have used for years. That being said, the human children characters looked quite ugly, so I can't completely give the team full marks for their effort. Still, the visuals of the main characters were used to create a fanciful and fun world which was expertly contrasted by the "under the bed" realm of the Boogeyman. And while this film might not necessarily be a "Christmas" film (it's events actually take place closer to Easter), I think it's a good counterpoint to other "cold" animated films like "Frozen", especially for the young boys who might not be interested in Disney princesses.

An action-packed film with great, well-known characters and stunning visuals, I give Rise of the Guardians 4.5 stars out of 5.
December 18, 2016
I love this movie it is so great and a most see to me.
November 20, 2016
This movie was another hyped up movie that failed for me. Many kids movies are watchable by older audiences, this isn't one of them. The main characters have lengthy dialogue that tell you the plot word-for-word. Each character is verbally described as if you can't figure it out for yourself. The emotion you feel for the characters is little to none. And the movie follows a predictable path, making sure to include every cliche possible.
Then again, this movie is not really a kids movie. Santa Clause is called North and is a buff, mean, tattoo man. The Easter Bunny is an army general. The tooth fairy knows no personal boundaries. The sand dream guy...well...goes beyond personal boundaries. And Jack Frost is the typical kid's version of a...dun dun dun...misunderstood teenager.
This movie isn't a movie for kids, it isn't movie for young adults. It isn't a movie for anyone.
Save yourself the two hours ,watch something else.
½ November 19, 2016
Entertaining animated feature that turns Santa (Alec Baldwin), the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman), the Tooth Fairy (Isla Fisher), and the Sandman, the titular guardians, into action heroes. When the boogeyman (Jude Law) plots to make the children of the world stop believing in the guardians to allow his fear and despair to rule the world. The story unfolds through the eyes of Jack Frost (Chris Pine) who is the brash new recruit to the team. Like the best animated features, this film does with animation what you wouldn't be able to easily do with live action, so the film works as a real visual feast. The film is also quite funny at times, particularly Alec Baldwin's Eastern European accented Santa. The main downside to the film is that it lacks a real heart and emotional center. There's one scene where Santa asks Jack Frost to find his core, what it is that makes him special. It's a good point, but the film unfortunately doesn't really ever do that for itself and is more just action and comedy with only surface level character development. There's nothing in this film nearly as touching as Bing Bong farewell scene in "Inside Out," and it's that missing emotional core that stops this film from being something great.
October 15, 2016
Bold and Beautiful twist on characters we all know and love. Did I mention Hugh Jackman sounds amazing as a bunny? :)
October 14, 2016
It is really the screenshots, the video segments, and the trailer that brought me to see this film. I would say the tomatometer of 80s should be deserved. I know there is nothing special about the story but I don't find it affecting my experience. One thing everyone has to admire is this film has the second best animation ever offered by DreamWorks that is topped now by How To Train Your Dragon 2. Oh man it is a gorgeous thing to see this film on a vibrant AMOLED display or in 3D. In my experience this animation covers up the shorts of storytelling completely. I have NEVER seen another film other than Dragon 2 that offers better animation and vibrant colours than this
October 9, 2016
Saw Half Of It
It's really Fun
½ October 4, 2016
So in this cartoon world, Santa Claus is Russian and the Easter Bunny is Aussie. Hm, alright.. I'm cool with that. A touch too much on the kids side with this one, but it's fine enough for adults too I suppose.
September 30, 2016
Nice animation but just couldn't get into the story. Boring and lacking in story structure.