Rise of the Guardians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Guardians Reviews

October 15, 2016
Bold and Beautiful twist on characters we all know and love. Did I mention Hugh Jackman sounds amazing as a bunny? :)
October 14, 2016
It is really the screenshots, the video segments, and the trailer that brought me to see this film. I would say the tomatometer of 80s should be deserved. I know there is nothing special about the story but I don't find it affecting my experience. One thing everyone has to admire is this film has the second best animation ever offered by DreamWorks that is topped now by How To Train Your Dragon 2. Oh man it is a gorgeous thing to see this film on a vibrant AMOLED display or in 3D. In my experience this animation covers up the shorts of storytelling completely. I have NEVER seen another film other than Dragon 2 that offers better animation and vibrant colours than this
October 9, 2016
Saw Half Of It
It's really Fun
½ October 4, 2016
So in this cartoon world, Santa Claus is Russian and the Easter Bunny is Aussie. Hm, alright.. I'm cool with that. A touch too much on the kids side with this one, but it's fine enough for adults too I suppose.
September 30, 2016
Nice animation but just couldn't get into the story. Boring and lacking in story structure.
August 16, 2016
About two thirds of the way into the movie, Rise of the Guardians experiences a bit of a wardrobe change and loses its way for a slight moment. The film goes from fairly light-hearted to dark and brooding in almost the blink of an eye. This isn't the first time this has happened in a movie, but it's hard to overlook when a movie suddenly shifts away from something it was doing so well only to have to reintroduce itself in another tone. Good news, though, that is really the only problem I could find to pick at. That, and I wanted more of Sandy. Can never have enough Sandy!

Rise of the Guardians is the story of our childhood heroes. That's right I'm talking the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, The Sandman, and the jolly old fat one himself Santa Claus. Imagine them fighting together to protect the belief of innocent children against the darkness of the world and you have Rise of the Guardians. Much like Arthur Christmas, the innovation here is marvelous. Each guardian has their own special power that relates to their gift-giving job. For example, Bunny can create holes in the ground by stomping his feet. The helps him get from one place to another quickly and also helps trap enemies when he's in a pinch. As I mentioned before, Sandman, who doesn't say a word the entire movie, is definitely my favorite guardian. Instead of talking, little images appear above his head to express how he's feeling.

A fun movie to watch, especially if you're trying to instill in your kids the beauty of using their imagination. I give it an 86.
½ August 9, 2016
pretty much the Avengers except adapted to be a kids/family animated movie with a different story. great visuals, characters, and animation, but the story could've been better written
August 8, 2016
Obviously for the little ones, but beautifully animated and stuffed with a great cast... even if Frost's voice didn't match his look at all.
July 18, 2016
I love this film. The animation is beautiful of course, the characters are likeable, and the story is intriguing. I always call this The Avengers for little kids because it is kind of cool to see these famous childhood characters come together. The voice acting is pretty good especially Alec Baldwin's as Santa Claus, who was awesome. Chris Pine does really well too, though his voice seems a bit too deep for Jack Frost. I love Jack and I felt pretty bad for him. Jude Law does well as Pitch Black, even if the villain's motivation is weak. But when you're character's the Boogie Man what can you expect? The comedy and drama are also well done. The only issue I have with the film is that the storytelling is a bit choppy at points, but it's not too bad. This is one of my favorites from the studio, but I wouldn't put it high on the list. Rise of the Guardians is an energized magical treat.
½ July 15, 2016
Cute but not super entertaining. The angry mouse was the best 30 seconds.
July 7, 2016
This movie is awesome
The characters are like able
The story is great
The plot is great
But the only problem is, that it can get way to dark at times
½ July 2, 2016
It will leave everyone with the feeling of contentment, even when it reveals the universal yet predictable theme.
½ June 20, 2016
The marketing for this film had the same struggle as the initial Guardians themselves - Jack Frost, really? That said, when you're already relying on the Tooth Fairy and the Sandman for gravitas, you're behind the curve to say the least. In actuality however, this is superior animated product with a lot of clever touches and plenty to entertain all but the surliest members of the family. Surprisingly recommended.
June 1, 2016
Another great family animated adventure from dreamworks. These actors voice the characters well. With a perfect script this great movie will entertain all ages.
½ May 18, 2016
A movie with great animation that drags and tires its narrative to a point of disinterest
½ May 15, 2016
Dreamworks, much like in Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda, once again excels at mixing interesting and likeable characters with dazzling animation, wit and heart; it's a shame that they still haven't given their stories the depth to make their movies truly memorable and resonant; Rise of the Guardians is competent but ultimately forgettable.
May 14, 2016
Imagine a comic book movie that doesn't use comic book characters, instead they build a team of avengers from seasonal characters that parents try to convince their kids exist in order to get them to behave/sleep/whatever. So you end up with Father Christmas, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc fighting a battle against something nasty on behalf of kids and that. It all seems to me like someone wanting to add a film to the hundreds of comic book films but couldn't afford to pay for the rights for the characters. Very weak addition to the pile.
May 8, 2016
I don't get the good reviews. It feels like DreamWorks was on the edge of implosion and, in a last ditch effort, they grabbed anything & everything to make SOMETHING that might make money. The beings of fairy tales, from Jack Frost to Santa to Tooth Fairies....are superheroes? Santa has tattoos 'naughty' & 'nice' on his forearms? Jack Frost is a centuries old ghost-like boy, who somehow sports a modern day hoodie. Santa also has elves who are basically minion rip-offs and Yeti henchmen....wtf? The the boogie man arrives and he is probably too scary for little kids. Teens won't be interested & little kids don't need these characters turned into the Avengers.
May 7, 2016
It's a good film that has a smart and new idea. The characters are interesting and fun.
½ April 16, 2016
A decent concept with a subpar execution. The characters are fun, but there's so much going on only one has time to fully develop. Did I mention there's a lot going on? Let's jump from here to there and now back to here. Kudos for giving Santa tattoos and the Easter bunny an Australian accent.