Rise of the Guardians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rise of the Guardians Reviews

May 17, 2017
This was fun and the bogey man was scary. I always believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Sand Man and Jack Frost ­~?
½ April 30, 2017
Doesn't make sense and has a boring storyline.
April 29, 2017
Good animated film. Was interesting the whole time.
April 23, 2017
Rise of the Guardians (2012) is an often fun and action packed adventure that has surprising depth and a lot of creative ideas. The story is very solid and they leave enough time to focus on the creative elements as well as the development of Jack Frost. They play out the narrative like a fantasy version of The Avengers and it works thanks to it's likable characters and it's magical premise. I really appreciate how this movie goes in deep about how they protect the children of the world and how the power in believing is really important to our main characters. However, the way they portray characters like Santa and The Easter Bunny can raise a few questions. I don't mind if they wanted to give a different interpretation on these beloved icons but there were some points in the film where it seemed like they changed a lot of the things to the point where it started to confuse me as to what I thought I knew about those characters. It's not terrible and they do explain everything but the different interpretations seemed rather odd and confusing at some points. On the other hand, Characters like Sandman, Tooth Fairy, Pitch Black and Jack Frost himself, all are uniquely explained and they have their own share of unique powers as well as interesting backgrounds. The actors they got to play the characters bring really likable voices and they really stand out in terms of giving them personality. One thing that felt a little distracting was the flow of the narrative. Sometimes there's a joke or a moment with the kids in the real world that made the movie slow down. It's not that it's unnecessary but sometimes I feel like their could have been a better way to execute certain scenes. The animation is incredible and it does everything it can to show off the magical abilities of the Characters and the amazing set designs where a lot of the characters are headquartered. The action is smooth and it does a great job with moving along with the characters wide range of attacks. My favorite sequences have to be when the sandman uses his powers to bring dreams to all the children in the world. The Music score has an almost epic feel and it does great when things get really dramatic or really action packed. It also gets whimsical whenever the mood lightens up or when a sad moment needs to happen. I consider this to be a very solid effort from Dreamworks. Everything in this movie is very likable and very imaginative. It works out all the ideas you can possibly do in this premise and it executes them wonderfully. It does have a few bumps here and there but I really liked this movie and I think everyone who made this movie should be proud for the effort they put in (B+)
½ April 17, 2017
Very underappreciated film with interesting-looking character design.
½ March 27, 2017
I like this film. The animation is beautiful of course, the characters are likeable, and the story is intriguing. I always call this The Avengers for little kids because it is kind of cool to see these famous childhood characters come together. The voice acting is pretty good especially Alec Baldwin's as Santa Claus, who was awesome. Chris Pine does really well too, though his voice seems a bit too deep for Jack Frost. I love Jack and I felt pretty bad for him. Jude Law does well as Pitch Black, even if the villain's motivation is weak. But when you're character's the Boogie Man what can you expect? The comedy and drama are also well done. The only issue I have with the film is that the storytelling is a bit choppy at points, but it's not too bad. This is one of my favorites from the studio, but I wouldn't put it high on the list. Rise of the Guardians is an energized magical treat.
½ March 12, 2017
Enjoyed it very much with my kids. Cute
March 11, 2017
Reminds me of the Christmas specials of old - pretty imaginative story.
February 19, 2017
This movie is awesome!
January 21, 2017
Solidly entertaining, and the kids loved it.
January 11, 2017
A cute family film that has beautiful animation, fast-paced action, and memorable characters. Although the plot could be confused at times, its still enjoyable, and the drama feels legitimately emotional. It's not my favorite animated film of all time, but I really like it, especially the characters.
January 6, 2017
Simply wretched. Almost NOTHING makes sense. Absolutely zero surprise this lost the studio hundreds of millions of dollars. Such an atrocious movie. Sad, really.
January 5, 2017
Beautiful film!!! Incredibly enchanting. I loved every minute. The power and innocence of a young child is so compelling and what is translated as the Magic of Christmas or whatever season for us adults. Loved this one.
½ January 3, 2017
The expendables family size in a mixture between action and adventure
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Love it! So pretty!!! And cute!!
½ December 27, 2016
es una historia diferente entre Santa Claus y Jack Frost, me gusta la interacci├│n entre todos los personajes y su historia, pero no la voy a recordar mucho.
½ December 23, 2016
Rise of the Guardians is an exciting, magical ride with Jack Frost behind the wheel. A very nice Holiday movie full of emotion and humor that children and adults will love for years to come. We watch this together as a family every Christmas. A classic in our home it has become.
December 23, 2016
It may not measure up to some of DreamWorks Animation's better efforts but the stunningly animated Rise of the Guardians boasts enough action and solid voice acting, along with an interesting story, to help make the film one that should hopefully end up becoming a classic in the next couple of years.
½ December 18, 2016
While the idea of the holidays being connected isn't a new idea (see The Nightmare Before Chrismas (1993) for another take on it), there is something intrinsically interesting with making the respective figureheads of their representative mythos come together in an Avenger-esque fashion against a common enemy. Rise of the Guardians (2012) certainly does a good job of this, even if only two of its characters have anything to do with holidays at all. In its essence, the fanciful characters from our childhood banding together to fight evil personified is based on the belief that we all have something to believe in.

What I particularly like about Rise of the Guardians is the surprising depth of the characters chosen to fight for the belief of all children around the world. From a Russian-themed Santa Claus to the Australian Easter Bunny (expertly voiced by Alec Baldwin and Hugh Jackman, respectively), these added details to beloved childhood figures just adds to their personalities. Even the Boogeyman's ability to hide and utilize shadows merely emphasizes that each of these characters has abilities and strengths commensurate to their basic attributes, thus fleshing them out into well-rounded characters instead of just 2-dimensional bedtime stories.

Because of these colorful and unique characters, their interactions in this interesting plot were merely accentuated by the imaginative artistic style that Dreamworks animators have used for years. That being said, the human children characters looked quite ugly, so I can't completely give the team full marks for their effort. Still, the visuals of the main characters were used to create a fanciful and fun world which was expertly contrasted by the "under the bed" realm of the Boogeyman. And while this film might not necessarily be a "Christmas" film (it's events actually take place closer to Easter), I think it's a good counterpoint to other "cold" animated films like "Frozen", especially for the young boys who might not be interested in Disney princesses.

An action-packed film with great, well-known characters and stunning visuals, I give Rise of the Guardians 4.5 stars out of 5.