Rise of the Guardians Reviews

• Jul 23, 2020

Although it is a kids movie, it drastically fails to introduce how everything works in this universe. A lot of the things that are done don't make sense unlike good kids/family movies.

• Jul 14, 2020

This movie's OK but not DreamWorks' best. It doesn't fell much like a Christmas movie if that's what your after. It's still worth seeing once though.

• Jul 13, 2020

Its mix of superhero and holiday themes results in an uneven and flawed box-office bomb, that features impressive animation and a fast pace, but a convoluted and messy narrative.

• Jul 11, 2020

Rise of the Guardians grabs the same group of mythical characters we see in The Santa Clause 2 & 3 and sends them on a journey to insure that children don’t stop believing in them (which is the theme of countless Santa Claus movies, including Elf, The Year Without a Santa Claus, etc.) I was all set to be annoyed that this movie was a retread of things I’ve seen in the past. Yet, it pulls off the same idea better than any of those films that came before. I love how they turned it into an action movie, and set up a true villain in the Bogeyman. The explanation of how the magical world worked was perfect, and made just enough sense that you could buy in without asking too many questions. Plus, they give us an intriguing mystery and an unexpected hero with Jack Frost. It’s such a delightful little story that was entertaining throughout, and never left me annoyed with the fairy-tale logic. It also must be mentioned that Rise of the Guardians looks gorgeous. The animation of this movie is excellent, in particular when it comes to the dreamy imagery. Despite the fact that he never talked, The Sandman might be my favorite character in the film, because he has such delightful-looking powers, and seems to be a match for the Bogeyman in every way. I also appreciated that each of the worlds where the Guardians come from has its own unique aesthetic. So the North Pole looks nothing like the Tooth Fairy’s home. The voice cast is also wonderful in Rise of the Guardians. I loved the personality that these actors give to each of the mythical characters, and they are different than the same old portrayals you might expect (particularly with Alec Baldwin’s performance as Santa Claus, and Hugh Jackman as the Easter Bunny.) I’ll readily admit that I’ve never been a big fan of what any of these characters represent in real life. **Kids, don’t read any further.** I have some bad memories from the times when I realized that my parents had been intentionally lying to me, so I harbor resentment towards the mythical characters that someone invented which encouraged them to do that. However, while the harshness of reality can ruin the magical in this world, in the world of the movies anything is possible. And with that in mind, this is probably my favorite interpretation of these characters on film. I’ll actually be telling others to check out Rise of the Guardians because it is so much fun, and it is one of the rare “holiday films” that doesn’t need to be locked down to any specific holiday. You could watch this one in the middle of July and it would be just as relevant as it would be at the end of December.

• Jun 26, 2020

Good watch, might watch again, can recommend. As someone who's not particularly a big fan of these holiday characters, it was refreshing to see these battle-ready versions of them. Incorporating Jack Frost as a character actually makes a lot of sense, as literally pointed out in the movie that he's an underrated holiday figure. Adding to the holiday-verse with backstories and belief as power with multiple forms is also an interesting touch. The cg animation is very well done, and the writing is actually very intricate. The antagonist does a very classic job of slowly breaking down the hero squad and its done extremely well. The key is in the details, and this one has enough to give it a watch.

• Jun 22, 2020

So amazing, with a fresh book idea, I don't care if it didn't get enough money for a sequel, I want a sequel so bad because of how good it is.

• May 30, 2020

A unique take on childhood mythical characters that deserves credit for its creativity and its unique ability to make a darker children's movie work well onscreen.

• May 27, 2020

A wonderful fantasy that brings out your inner child, while breathing new life into dated fairy-tale's. 8 years later and it's charm hasn't dulled a bit.

• May 21, 2020

With an incredible voice cast, excellent animation and an Avengers-like story, that sometimes forgets to say about the origin of some Guardians (but that is not a big problem), this movie excels in the fun and as a lesson of hope, which the world needs so much right now. For the kids and adults alike, it is a watch very recommended!

• May 20, 2020

One of my all time favorite movies :)

One of my all time favorite movies :)