The Satanic Rites of Dracula - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Satanic Rites of Dracula Reviews

March 22, 2012
February 17, 2012
It's as if they brought Spy Espionage, Satanism and thrown in Dracula to make it cool. it's stupid but It's Grind house feels makes it entertaining to watch all the cheesy Dialogue.
½ January 4, 2012
The transplanting of Dracula into swinging London worked okay in DRACULA A.D. 1972, but here the gimmick wears thin. Cushing still brings the goods as Van Helsing, but Lee isn't in the film nearly enough to resonate strongly (though, because of some plot shenanigans, he does get to riff a bit on Bela Lugosi's Dracula accent, which is kind of neat to hear).
½ January 3, 2012
This was my first Hammer Studios picture and I really liked it! Lee and Cushing have great onscreen chemistry; it's a shame they weren't together more in this film. It moved pretty good for a seventies horror flick. Some cheesiness (the roomful of vampiresses) but it kept my attention and was entertaining. I can't wait to see more!
½ October 17, 2011
It's not really a scary movie, unless you consider the fact that they made a movie this bad to be scary.
½ August 12, 2011
Okay, now listen... We figure out how you can make 84 minutes feel like 2 days, how tired a series can be and the last thing we learn is that Peter Cushing is bulletproof. 84 minutes without a plot and a ending with no brains and people who have seen this film know what I mean about the ending. Stay as far away from this film as humanly possible
½ August 9, 2011
Not a bad entry in the series especially after the last few - felt like I had scene it before and that in in fact pieces together most of the other films to make this one - an ok entry and a decent way to end
½ July 20, 2011
That ending is ridiculous.
½ July 9, 2011
It is always sad to see a franchise - an era, even - go out on its weakest note. Still, in the case of the Hammer Dracula cycle, even the weakest note rings clearer than most. The story is fairly original, and Lee and Cushing are once more great. The ending, however, is for sure the most anticlimactic of the series. I highly recommend the film, however, as I do all the Hammer Dracula films. A truly lovable set of horror, and a cinematic landmark whose legacy is evident to this very day.
April 15, 2011
Hammers 2nd attempt to bring Dracula to the modern age (or the 70s in this case) was to me a better effort. Took far too long for Christopher Lee to appear though, but i was still entertained for the most part. Plus loved the brides.
February 12, 2011
Piss poor effort in the 6th and final Dracula from Hammer. Christopher Lee's off to do The Man With The Golden Gun and is the best thing in it.
February 10, 2011
aw Satanic Rites last night for the second time, and paid more attention this time. The film, if you`re waiting to see a lot of Dracula will be a bit of a let down (but let`s face it, since Taste the Blood of Dracula, I don`t think Christopher Lee has had 30 minutes screen time with all of the Dracula films joined together.) The movie starts slowly, with, for once, no Dracula resurrection scene. He`s just back, and does not appear until well into the film. (He appears in a scene obviously stuck in because they realized he had not made an appearance at all so long into the film). When Peter Cushing appears, you start to feel like this is a proper Hammer film after all. Peter Cushing really does this one justice. Then from the time he visits D.D.Denham, it is a pretty good Dracula picture. The action between our hero and villain gets going, and builds up to a reasonable finale. This is better than Dracula AD 1972, but as I have said before, the whole series should have stayed in Victorian times. Joanna Lumley is radiant as Jessica, who's character returns from the previous film. It is a pretty scary premise. Dracula, finally sick of being resurrected for 2 or 3 days at a time, wants to end it all, but in doing this, he wants to take everyone with him. THE WHOLE WORLD! It is a good plot which just happens to have Dracula as the figure-head. For once Christopher Lee gets a reasonably decent script and delivers his lines beautifully. A couple of points. In some of the Dracula films, we are introduced to new but apparently tested ways of dealing with the fanged one. Dracula, Prince of Darkness introduced clear running water, as used at the end of DPOD, in Dracula AD 1972, and in Satanic Rites. Then in AD `72 we are introduced to the fact that the good Count can be knobbled with a silver bladed knife. Handy, since Van Helsing has one. Then in this movie, Van Helsing introduces the Hawthorn bush, from which Christ recieved his crown of thorns. Guess where Drac ends up near the end? Do these things really work? Or is it just that sunlight and the old stake are boring now, and the writers just make these things up? I feel a bit cheated when someone like Dracula can be beaten by lightning, drowned in a moat (NOT running water), or overcome in a church (whereas he had already killed a girl and placed her body in a full blown God worshipping church.) This film, when it gets going, is a pleasing finale to the Christopher Lee years as Dracula, and to boot, Peter Cushing delivers a really good performance too.
½ January 3, 2011
I believe there is a line somewhere with goofy titles and fortunately, the Satanic Rites of Dracula demonstrates... hmm... there's a T somewhere around here. Ah just look it up!
January 1, 2011
This is probably the worst vampire movie of the 70s, I mean, Dracula has some crazy plot to take over the world? That doesn't make sense. The story and actors are bad, and I didn't like this movie at all.
December 31, 2010
Hammers eigth dracula film sees Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing return to their strong roles as dracula and Van Helsing. Aside from the two's brilliant prefomances the rest is kind off passable and, just plain chessey (although enjoyable). 6/10
December 19, 2010
Christopher Lee is always great and I have a fondness for Hammer Films
½ October 29, 2010
I think this is one of the best Dracula movies by Hammer films.Lee reprises the title role,and Cushing returns as Van Helsing(descendant).Dracula works behind the scenes,letting his brides seduce powerful government,military,and scientific minions to expand his influence and to help with his master plan.Tired of "unlife",he now owns a corporation,and is using his wealth to finance a scientist who has created a mutant strain of plague that could wipe out humanity(and himself).Only a small band of police,and the Van Helsing family stand in his way.
½ October 17, 2010
The reunion of Lee and Cushing is a borefest, with a solid ending. Too much talking and investiagating to make this one entertaining. The concept is good but used well.
½ October 16, 2010
Weak entry in the list of Cushing/Lee Dracula list of films that is set in the modern day. After a satantic mass the police start to become aware of a group of old men that may have ties to the dark lord himself. This is followed by a series of events that are the most generic Dracula storylines ever. Boring!
October 12, 2010
a genuine thriller in the pituitary