Rize - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rize Reviews

½ December 18, 2011
I don't feel like posting a review on these, so I will just give simple reasons why I like them.

The 40 Year-Old Virgin: A comedy with great ab-libbing and improv. It's also a great look at the insecurities of single men and women, not just about virginity.

Me and You and Everyone We Know: Not much about plot, but the ideas of the lack of face-to-face communication and interaction, searching for love, and age differences.

Nobody Knows: It's the most depressing movie I have seen in 2005... What's worse is finding out that this is based on a true event in Japan and the original story is even darker than what is shown in the movie.

Sin City: Balls-ripping, titties and red/white/yellow blood. It would be a guilty pleasure if it wasn't for the stunning visuals and its artful spirit.

Rize: A documentary about dancing clowns? Rrright. I really didn't care for Rize until I saw it, but it's surprisingly fascinating.

Unfortunately, I can only post 5 ratings at a time, so that's all for the favorites of '05.

Now, on to the most-hated!
December 10, 2011
Interesting documentary about using dance as an alternative to joining gangs.
November 11, 2011
This is the first feature film by photographer and director David LaChapelle, and I think it's a great first effort. (He's also directed a number of music videos.) Rize is a documentary about "krumping", a hip-hop dance style that originated in LA. It's interesting to learn it started with some hip-hop clown dancing. LaChapelle doesn't just explore the dance itself, but also the lives of the people performing it. To them, krumping is like a cathartic release, where they can let out all their frustrations and emotions in a positive way. The film showcases several krumpers as they show off their skills, though I have to admit it felt a little repetitive near the end. I did like that this movie made me remember that I should be fortunate for the things in my life, because I often forget there are so many people out there who are worse off. As is usually the case for documentaries, you'll probably only like this film if you like the material it covers.
June 21, 2011
Photographer David LaChapelle makes a great debut as director of this scorching documentary that centers on krumping, a hip-hop dance that is just astonishing to watch. LaChapelle shows how krumping was devised in a clown act by Tommy Johnson in South Central Los Angeles in 1992, the same year of the infamous Rodney King riots, and then follows it evolution into a gyrating dance, used to express a myriad of emotion. You won't be able to look away.
February 21, 2011
If you want to know the origin of krump dancing this is a must see. I found it to be quite inspirational. In spite of their circumstances these inner city youth find a way to RIZE. Watch it all the way to the end before you judge me!
February 15, 2011
saw Tommy the Clown in '95
January 27, 2011
An amazing movie that shows that even in the darkest corners hope can find its way out. The Dancers are amazing but their stories are the real reason to watch this film. Hardley a music video.
½ December 30, 2010
A look at the dance that is saving many kids in the inner city of LA from becoming gang members is a moving story of the people forced to live in these circumstance. The focus of Rize is the dance from the streets - "Clowning" and "Krumping" - a mesmerizing mix of modern dance and tribal gyrations, that many youths now chose to chanel their angst instead of picking up a gun and joining a gang. What's even more moving is to hear the stories of the children forced to live in the "ghettos," trying to make a positive statement with this dance, to Rize above it. Even if you aren't into dance, or the urban scene, this is a film you should see.
November 7, 2010
A great way to showcase a brilliant form of dancing. This documentary takes you through the hardships, laughs, tears, and amazing dancing skills of some very interesting people.
November 2, 2010
Why not spell it right? It lost me at the offensively misspelt word.
October 4, 2010
These dancers are incredible and the documentary itself shares a lot about the dancer's personal lives trying to achieve fame.
October 4, 2010
This is a cool movie, I can't do anything of what they do, they are really good and im just a white dude :)

It's a movie about clowning, dancing with clowns, having fun, being something else then a gang-banger.
Tommy has a way of influencing a lot of kid, they are dancing and having fun, instead of being involved in bad things.

Its a fun, but also very serioues and sad movie.
½ September 26, 2010
Very good but not quite the social commentary it wants to be. It is a very aggressive form of expression and that takes a bit of getting used to but if it stops you joining a traditional gang than you have to be all for it. Visually interesting and the last scenes set against the bright blue sky are breathtaking.
½ September 15, 2010
LaChapelle had about an hour of material, which he proceeds to streeetch out. I need to learn how to Krump. Or do I?
August 2, 2010
Ganske så fet Doku om dansende og røffe ghettobarna!!! Ganske rørende denne!
RJ Smoove
June 26, 2010
Having lived in Los Angeles for the last decade, I was here when Krumping was a big thing amongst the inner city youth. I didn't live in the same neighborhoods, but I went to school in South Central for a couple of years. So I got to witness the dance first hand. When I first saw it, I laughed at it. To me it looked like nothing more than controlled flailing. Just swinging your arms around with balled fists, rolling your body like a stripper, jumping around, fake fighting and not much more. After seeing this documentary (which got snubbed for at least a nomination for Best Documentary), I realize that it is so much more than that. To the kids that are in that world, it is everything to them. It keeps them out of trouble, it gives them something to do besides play sports.

I really have to commend Tommy the Clown for what he did. I've seen him at a party once, but I wasn't too familiar with his movement back then. What he has done is bring hope to kids that had almost none. Without his guidance, a lot of the kids in this film would be in gangs, in jail, doing nothing productive at all, or possibly dead. That alone makes this a film that everyone should see. I wanted to give it a higher score, but I still have trouble taking Krumping, as a form of dance, seriously. Still, this is an excellent film.
April 8, 2010
Definitely in my top 30 documentaries. Tommy the Clown and Tight Eyez are brilliant. Wonderful documentary about an urban cultural dance phenomenon.
½ March 15, 2010
this movie was cool for about 10 minutes and then i was over it... blowssssss
February 24, 2010
I love dancing movies, this was more of a documentry. It was interesting but I still did not like it much