Road to Bali - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road to Bali Reviews

July 2, 2011
Not as loved as the others, but still looks very entertaining and funny.
garyX
March 11, 2011
The hapless duo go diving for sunken treasure in the South Pacific, which leaves ample scope for jokes about amorous gorillas, rubber giant squids and a wealth of glamorous island maidens. By this time, the Road movies had settled into a production line comfort zone, and the flat direction which lacks the necessary pizazz of the great musicals combined with the deeply unconvincing sound stage bound locations means that Bali relies entirely on the amiability of its stars. But let's face it, these old pros were never going to disappoint. The stream of Vaudevillian skits and songs are very familiar to anyone who knows the series and Hope and Crosby's usual backstabbing and bickering is just as fun as always. It's a bit like watching an extended sketch from a Morecambe And Wise Christmas Special in that the knockabout charm of its stars outweighs the quality of the gags to the point where you can't help laughing at even the weakest of jokes; the groans are just as amusing as the chuckles! Very old school, but still fun.
½ January 27, 2011
I guess I'm just a sucker for the Hope-Crosby relationship
½ November 28, 2010
Funny, witty piece of fluff that kept me laughing non-stop. Great film and this deserves more respect that given.
November 7, 2010
This should have been the last "Road" movie, it's a lot better than road to hong kong. I really liked this movie it's very funny and the story is good.
October 3, 2010
at this point in the franchise, the only real enjoyment factor is watching Bing and Bob exchange zingy one-liners. the problem there is, even they seem a bit tired of it. sharp in-jokes, amusing cameos, some cool moments of special effects and slapstick, but overall a pretty lame and uninspired movie. funny absolutely, but the story's the same old shtick.
October 3, 2010
½ September 28, 2010
Not one of the best road shows, still the duo Hope Crosby team mow down one liners rapid fire. Lame cinema entertainment by today's standards, the team of Hope and Crosby set us up for comedy team Martin and Lewis later on.

This film is built on quick sand, but still, Hope and Crosby ARE the movie, not the plot, which is of course ridiculous in the extreme.

The road shows for me were in a class to themselves, not ever intending to be serious cinema. Much like Stooge mania today, who rates the Stooges as anything but classic fun?

And nostalgic fun Road to Bali is. Full of all the slapstick, pratfalls, and one liners known at the time, this Road To Bali is worth watching once, if nothing else for the stars. Its so corny it hurts, but in a sentimental way.

Any of the Road series are about pretty much the same. They will open up to you a whole other lifestyle and era than the one we know today. Again, not to be taken as serious cinema, just guilty pleasure.
August 17, 2010
so, i haven't seen all of the "Road To" movies, but of the ones that I have seen, this one is undeniably my favorite. the jokes are better then ever and the quick wordplay between Hope and Crosby is at its strongest here. there are so many memorable scenes in"The Road to Bali" that i'm not sure which is my favorite. as for the movie being in color, it was kind of interesting. i did notice that they incorporated some techniques used in black and white movies, though (the shiny ring, in particular). i guess i'm just biased and prefer the old black and whites. anyways, great movie. very funny.
May 12, 2010
I like Crosby and Hope together and even though they are all teh same thing this one is one of the better ones
April 1, 2010
The Kraken turns to STONE.
March 6, 2010
Very hokey, and it doesn't pick up until an hour in. The songs and dancing are mediocre, but when it makes fun of itself ("She's gonna sing, folks. Now is the time to go out and get the popcorn."), it's hilarious.
January 31, 2010
possibly the funniest movie ever!
January 15, 2010
Filled with great one-liners and comedy that doesn't take itself seriously at all. If you're in the right mood, this film is a blast!
November 24, 2009
Hmm, not my type but 60% critics liked it is interesting... and Jerry Lewis. Got me curious.
November 22, 2009
Bob Hope is hilarious.
½ September 11, 2009
Some funny moments between Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. But for the most part the crappy sets and the song and dance numbers ruin the momentum. Not for me.
September 2, 2009
It was on TV so I watched it. It was the usual silliness of the movies my grandma has shown me, but I quite enjoyed it. And the graphics they attempted with the dancing women and the title at the end were really good considering when it was made. And for these kinds of movies, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope are great!
August 18, 2009
Another classic from Hope, Crsoby and Lamour. Seen some of these classics when I was a kid.