Road to Singapore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Road to Singapore Reviews

January 12, 2017
A funny and cute musical.
November 17, 2016
The first Road picture is a gem and has lots of good gags. Who knows how much of it was ad-libbed? And who cares? It's fun!
½ March 21, 2015
The first "Road" film is not the best, but it sets the structure for the series.
August 8, 2014
one of the better and first road pics
½ February 25, 2014
This one is actually one of my favorite in the "Road to" series. If you are a fan of Bob and Bing it can't be missed!
½ January 5, 2014
I did not like Bing's character, here. Too jejune, & lacking warmth. Lamour, however, was. Not much of a story. Character-driven.
December 13, 2013
The first of the "Road" movies had me laughing at Bing & Bob's silly antics and their handshake. I have to make sure I watch the rest of them!
½ July 25, 2013
This is the Road film that started all with the brilliant comic pairing of Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. The two bozos both skip out on obligations and relationships back home and together they hightail it to Singapore. There they both fall head over heels for the same girl despite having vowed to give up women. Together the trio hide from their respective pasts. However, with barely any money they must muddle through with cons. Everything comes to fruition at a native marriage ceremony where Mallon's father and fiancee catch up with him. In the end everything works out as it always does and Singapore was only the tip of the iceberg. The film works based on the chemistry of the leading trio and the ad-libbing and various gags such as "Patty-Cake."
September 11, 2012
A bit serious to start with but as we go on hints of what was to come in better future road films
½ November 5, 2011
One trait of a film that makes it work is the chemistry of the main cast and how well they can play off of each other. Crosby and Hope teamed up well together, which ultimately made this film work the way it did.
July 2, 2011
I love comedy, and this is known as a really good movie for the genre.
½ September 27, 2010
The first "Road" movie is enjoyable and fun for the most part, but there are some bumps on this road trip. The sequels offer more of the same, but some are funnier than others, and most are funnier than this one.
August 9, 2010
A classic comedy that is the first of seven "Road to" movies starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and beautiful Dorothy Lamour
½ July 16, 2010
hokey as only those 2 can do
½ June 10, 2010
The first is usually the best and the case applies here. First time they teamed up and a very neat picture
½ April 6, 2010
Road to Singapore is a great film. Bob Hope and Bing Crosby worked well together. The script is witty and creative. I laughed a lot while watching this film. I thought it was a fun movie with lots of laughs. I believe that the movie, Road to Singapore, is a must see.
garyX
½ December 10, 2009
Sea faring buddies Hope and Crosby dodge marriage vows and set up house together on a remote island paradise, until beautiful gypsy girl Dorothy Lamour appears and upsets their domestic bliss. This is one of those old style Hollywood films that seems hilariously naive by today's standards. A pair of men who don't want to get married to glamorous women so they decide to live (and sleep!) together...okaaaay then! This was the first of their collaborations and so the formula hasn't quite found its feet; Hope is more of a sidekick to main man Crosby (even appearing below Dorothy Lamour on the credits) and so the screwball banter of their later outings is sorely missing. In fact there are far more songs than jokes so it can be seen more as a romantic musical than a straight comedy. There's not much in the way of plot either, but if you're in the mood for old school, undemanding fluff decorated with some 40s Hollywood glamour (involving some lovely costumes by Edith Head) and a few chuckles, this adequately fits the bill.
½ July 25, 2009
It would be hard not to like this "Road" film. Anything Bing Crosby and Bob Hope make together is worth watching. Very entertaining and filled with a lot of inside jokes. Great fun.
½ May 20, 2009
I suppose "Road to Pacific Island of Undetermined Location or Ethnic Identity" just isn't as catchy a title, but that could just be me being nitpicky....overall a very funny film. Bob and Bing have great comedic chemistry. the supporting cast wasn't outstanding, nor was the general story, but the movie is still enjoyable. a great start to a classic series.
½ May 20, 2009