Robert Ludlum's Covert One: The Hades Factor Reviews

• Feb 03, 2015

long but gr8 cast makes this 1 look good

long but gr8 cast makes this 1 look good

• Sep 16, 2011

Some how, I didn't feel the guaranteed thrills you get from a Robret Ludlum adapation.

• Dec 02, 2010

I remember I tried to watch this but it went ON AND ON AND ON. I fell asleep and never watched it. It's not that good anyways. Also the cover completely ripped off the Bourne Movies

• Todd S Super Reviewer
    Sep 12, 2010

Based on a series of successful novels, CBS decided to turn the Covert One series into a mini-series, and while they got some big names to be in this three hour epic, the story just doesn't transfer well to film. Not every story can be condensed down and still keep the story believable and that's what happens here. Things move so quickly with one twist coming right on top another, making the film unbelievably confusing. The story begins on an army base, when a strange virus, thought to have been destroyed in the Middle East, starts killing people. The FBI, CIA, and mysterious group Covert One investigate and try to stop what they see as a terrorist attack. As I said there are so many different elements involved in this story and while a well placed twist in the story can help a film, too many just confuse things. Half way through this film it was impossible to tell who was working for whom, and what different groups were actually trying to accomplish. Stephen Dorff, AKA Mr. Blue E-Cig, stars and while he's not really known as an action guy, does a really good job. He's paired with Mira Sorvino who is one of my least favorite actresses. There is no doubting the fact that she's beautiful and somehow won an Academy Award, but I've always found her to be unbelievable and far to cold to play most of the roles she's been in. There are also some nice cameos from some people I haven't seen in a while, which could have been a big help to the film, if they weren't also part of the constant twists and turns of the story. I don't know how the novels were, but as far as the film goes, The Hades Factory is extremely fast paced and far too confusing to be worth watching. They had three hours to really engage and entrench the audience in the story, instead they blindfold you and put you on a roller coaster. The story is all over the place, the performances are mixed, and in the end, you'll just be scratching your head.

• Jun 20, 2010

Mediocre and cartoonish but mildly entertaining.

Mediocre and cartoonish but mildly entertaining.

• Oct 02, 2009

5 of 5 stars to the suspense movie, The Hades Factor. First, I should explain that I have read the book twice and seen the movie twice. Second, I am a big fan of Robert Ludlum's work. This is one of Ludlum's best efforts and I highly recommend either/both the book and the movie. The story opens with the start of a plague. First a couple of soldiers die, then other people. Clearly easy to spread this disease and clearly it is deadly. No cure. Early the story takes on a mid-east terrorist theme and we begin to learn the disease is being spread by the terrorists. As the team at "Covert One" (a secret US government intelligence agency) ramps-up, we learn that the terrorists have a method of deployment of this airborne virus that will be very effective. The story mostly focuses on where did the original virus come from and who is causing it to be spread. There are some plot twists slowing down the investigation (like murder of some key people). While the story seems to be exclusively a bio-terrorist plot, there is a big plot twist where the terrorists are simply the agent of the people who are really behind the plot. The movie is very long at 2h45min. I believe it was originally a for TV-mini series (two episodes). The style and approach of the movie is that of a high-end TV program rather than an epic movie approach. Lots of photography techniques you see often in TV but never in the movies. The settings, though rich in look, seem "closed-in" (more like a studio than a location). Clearly broken into chunks where commercials could be placed. Well acted, well photographed, just a bit "closed-in" compared to a made-as-a-movie movie. A well told story with building suspense. Alot of reality in the story which is chilling to imagine this could really happen (i.e. it ain't sci-fi; it could happen). In the real world, we have seen SARS, Bird Flu and recently H1N1 Flu effecting the population; what if the disease is more deadly than these? What if it spread widely? Yes, this is an exciting, suspenseful story. This is an exciting race against time to save the world! I highly recommend it!

• Jun 09, 2009

lengthy like a soap opera, not worth the time

lengthy like a soap opera, not worth the time

• Aug 05, 2008

Awesome... I like about this and Ebola is intresting :P

Awesome... I like about this and Ebola is intresting :P

• Jul 24, 2008

All i wanted to watch was a mindless action thriller which wouldn't require me to think. It doesn't meet even that! Really long, ran close to 3 hours and it was relentless.

• Jul 07, 2008

this..... is a really looooooooooooooooooong tv movie. it's adapted from a robert ludlum novel and that's the only reason i watched it. i wish i hadn't. it's 165 minutes long. the acting is sometimes really hard to watch... the dialogue equally boring. even in all this time they jump from conclusion to conclusion and place to place without the viewer being able to understand why and how. i say: don't waste your time. read the book instead.