Robin and the Seven Hoods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robin and the Seven Hoods Reviews

June 30, 2017
Great movie full of classical music artists and great musical numbers.
November 15, 2016
Gordon Douglas re-teams with Frank Sinatra again. This time some of his friends are along for the ride. Great tunes abound. "My Kind Of Town," won an Oscar for this film. "Mr. Booze," "Style," and, "I Get A Kick Out Of Bang Bang," stand out. On Blu-ray.
July 9, 2015
This is the best of the Rat Pack movies, with a musical soundtrack for the ages, featuring the debut of "My Kind of Town" by Frank Sinatra. The all star cast also includes Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Peter Falk, Bing Crosby, Barbara Rush, with a cameo by Edward G. Robinson. The songs blend in perfectly with the plot, and the courtroom scene is a delight. The best songs were "Mr. Booze" and "Style". Memorable and irresistible.
March 26, 2015
A Nicely Made Gangster Musical Which Updates The Classic Legend With gangsters in 1920's Chicago. The Last Of The Rat Pack Movies, This Features Some Nice Musical Numbers and A Pinch Of Comedy, joining Sinatra, Martin & Davies Jr. This Time Are Bing Crosby & Peter Falk, Giving great Supporting Performances. But it's the rat pack themselves which steal the movie, with nice musical numbers & Performances.
January 8, 2015
The rat pack clearly had fun making this despite the poor music score - some of the songs are just bizarre e.g. whilst playing pool Dean Martin sings that any man who likes their mum is alright by him......
½ December 30, 2014
A cracking prohibition set musical from The Rat Pack, that whilst not as famous as Ocean's 11, is personally the better of the two. Full of wonderful witty dialogue and a number of enjoyable, though not darn-storming, musical numbers.
½ November 25, 2014
November 26, 2013
Bing Crosby is fun and adorable with the rest of the Rat Pack. I enjoyed it more than expected.
November 2, 2013
A group of gangsters decide to use some of their ill gotten money for good causes. Can we really forgive the shallowness of Robin and the Seven Hoods by recognising it as a plain and simple vehicle for the great Rat Pack? This film is fun and occasionally funny but rather uneven and even suffering from the odd dull moments. Quite a generic comedy uplifted hence by the presence of Sinatra, Martin, Davis Jr. and a standout cameo by Bing Crosby.
½ September 5, 2013
Robin and the Seven Hoods (Gordon Douglas, 1964)
[originally posted 2Mar2000]

Not long before this started shooting, there was a major rift in the rat pack, and because of that, only three members (Martin, Davis, and Sinatra, of course) show up here. The other two roles were filled in, and quite ably, by Peter Falk and Bing Crosby. And if you like rat pack-style music, having ensemble numbers with Frank, Dean, and Bing is something you're gonna love.

The last half of this movie is good. It ain't Oceans Eleven, but it's good. Too bad the first half moves slower than a snail on ludes. Crosby doesn't show up until an hour into the film, and the action starts right there; before that, what the movie needs most is an editor who isn't afraid of Sinatra. It does, however, have some fine music (Sinatra debuted "My Kind of Town" here), and once it picks up, it's a lot of fun. Watch it when it comes on AMC, but spend the first half hour or so going to the store to get munchies. ** 1/2
½ June 17, 2013
Great fun is this Rat Pack musical comedy set in the 1930s.
½ March 25, 2013
Fun little flick for the Rat Pack. The song "Chicago" was written for Frank in this film. Worth watching just for the one liners and the excellent supporting cast.
March 19, 2013
Always have loved the rat pack
½ February 25, 2013
Tuneful, Light-hearted Prohibition-Era Robin Hood Spoof--The Rat Pack Rules in this Riotous, Rousing, Romp!!
January 29, 2013
Even though Sinatra and his rat pack friends won't get awards for acting, they can sure sing and swing. This 1964 musical is fun, has rock-solid performances, puts into comic light the era of glorified gangster crime, and is responsible for bringing "My Kind of Town" into the world.
½ January 26, 2013
Caught this on TMC. The Rat Pack are slick, smooth, and cool, but filled with awful musical numbers and too silly for words moments. "West Side Story" worked because it retold "Romeo & Juliet" with charming numbers and they kept the majority of the original story. This just tosses the "Robin Hood" story out the window like an unwanted puppy. There's some enjoyable performances by Peter Falk, the Rat Pack, and Bing Crosby, but the movie is no "Ocean's 11."
January 25, 2013
You have Frank Sinatra, Dino, & Sammy + Bing! These are movie LEGENDS I can't believe some of y'all critics give it 44% review. What have y'all done!?!???
December 13, 2012
Watched it and I was enjoying it until the ending. At which point I said "What?! That's the ending?" The ending was a complete disappointment and suggests to me that they weren't sure how to end it, so its kind of a flop.
½ December 9, 2012
This is one of my all time favorite old movies. So fun to watch and very funny. I even enjoyed all the songs. Great great movie.
June 4, 2012
Just not interested in ANYTHING with gangsters these days. Comedy or otherwise.