Robinson Crusoe on Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robinson Crusoe on Mars Reviews

½ August 12, 2016
A fun film. The end is abrupt but the film itself was enjoyable despite that.
June 29, 2016
Decent mid-60s sci-fi movie about an astronaut that is forced to crash land on Mars, and somehow figure out a way to survive on a harsh planet. The story is told well enough (though it isn't exceptional), but the visuals are pretty damn good for 1964. The real desert locations mixed with sets, and composites, and other special effects are all pretty top notch (again, for it's time). I think the movie looks great, I think I just struggled to get engaged with the lead actor...he isn't awful, but he had to carry the whole movie...could've used a little more charisma.
½ June 20, 2016
Let's get out of here.

Colonel Dan McReady crashes on Mars with nothing but his wreckage and a monkey. He has some training videos he watched before going to space and quickly improvises to find ways to extend his air and extract water. His methods work...until alien ships with slave cargo flies by and an escaped slave lands in his lap. A new menace may threaten his existence...

"I have fifty, or so, hours left."

Byron Haskin, director of The War of the Worlds, Treasure Island, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Power, Captain Sinbad, From the Earth to the Moon, and Conquest of Space, delivers Robinson Crusoe on Mars. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre, unrealistic, and slow paced. The acting is very average and the cast includes Adam West, Victor Lundin, and Paul Mantee.

"My two most difficult problems are air and water."

I recently randomly found this on Netflix and decided to give this old science fiction film a chance. This was very aged and average. There are some cool science fiction elements for this era, but felt like a not as good Mission to Mars. I recommend skipping this unless nothing better is on.

"Have a chair, stranger."

Grade: C
½ May 15, 2016
More enjoyable than The Martian. Of course the special effects are outdated and of course the science isn't all there. We had five decades of technological and scientific discoveries since. With that in mind, I think Byron Haskin and co. crafted a very ingenious film supported by a very smart script. And there's no beating landscapes in technicolor.
½ December 21, 2015
A science fiction movie that is kind of a 1960s version of "The Martian" without trying much for the cience part of things. Well written with an engaging plot, dated dialog that sounds very 50s, and overall emotionally satisfying. Holds up pretty well if you close your eyes to the attempted graphics.
½ June 18, 2015
Distinctly early 60's space age attempt at retelling Dafoe's book in a slow paced Martian setting. Special effects are very dated. Has elements of John Carter of Mars as well. Still, there is an attempt at some realistic hard science fiction--finding oxygen, water and food, etc.
½ November 27, 2014
Really good for its time period, with interesting sets. Holds up well.
October 25, 2014
I remember seeing this as a child in the 70's and the effect of the alien spaceships moving so fast and aggressively really scared me! I see it today and still find the movement impossible, threatening and otherworldly. Very well done.
July 1, 2014
So campy and dated, but surprisingly enjoyable
½ June 27, 2014
Um astronauta fica náufrago em Marte e precisa descobrir como sobreviver. Interessante a forma como ele vai aos poucos explorando as possibilidades de utilizar le recursos naturais do planeta. Os cenários são fantásticos para a época e a profundidade psicológica é grande.
½ June 8, 2014
Solid little bit of sci-fi is exactly what the title states, transplanting Daniel Defoe's novel to Mars. Paul Mantee is marooned on Mars and has to first figure out food, water, shelter and air. Next he has to figure our how to deal with loneliness. A Friday figure later shows up and Mantee also has to deal with alien ships (recycled from War of the Worlds). Lightweight, but enjoyable. Adam West plays one of Mantee's cremates who dies in the ship crash.
½ May 28, 2014
I saw this on the late show when I was in high school. I thought, "What a stupid title." But, I sat for it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised. Later, I met a friend who saw it as well. He said the same thing. And RT gave it a 93%? Vindication!
May 27, 2014
One of the best, original sci-fi movies ever made. And for the era, great effects, story-line, and great actors.
May 27, 2014
May 17, 2014
Even though the special effects are primitive, the movie is excellent! The scene where the monkey is eating those Mars sausage plants from a spring....still remember seeing this scene as a boy.
March 31, 2014
It's exactly what the title says it is. So if you're a fan of sci fi films shot in glorious technicolor, you should enjoy this throwback to a time when movies went to mars.
½ January 4, 2014
an entertaining, cheesy, dated, and stellar (or should i say inter-stellar) film. it's hard not to laugh at the effects, but as survival films go, it's quite fun.
September 22, 2013
Adam West is just fantastic in this, lost in space style classic,Shot in Zabriski Death Valley, the scenery and sets are breathtaking, Sadly Adam West is only in it briefly, but Paul Mantee is excellent, It's a slow paced Sci fi story that follows the survival of a man and his monkey on Mars, a classic.A sequel was also planned but due to this performing poorly at box office, it was shelved, however since it's release it has become a much loved cult classic
September 21, 2013
Enjoyable, colourful and imaginative retelling of the story, this time with stranded astronaut on Mars. The only let down is the re-use of War of the Worlds war machine special effects(minus the heat rays, and sound effects repeatedly as the alien space ships...really disappointing. Adam West has a small role.
½ June 16, 2013
Has always been my favorite movie....period!