Robot Jox - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robot Jox Reviews

September 16, 2017
Crash and Burn Tubies!
July 19, 2016
Cheese as heck now, but I loved this movie as a kid. Crash and burn baby, crash and burn.
June 19, 2016
A great film one that rebooted would be amazing with todays cgi.
April 23, 2016
Despite amazing effects...this is horrid. Garbage movie. So bad. No redeemable aspects to this.
April 9, 2016
Robot Jox is campy fun, with hilarious dialog, crude special effects, and a crazy plot. It's a little dark at times, and the twists are uninspired, and the ending is out of nowhere. But there's some sense of joy seeing giant stop-motion robots go at it.
October 16, 2015
How is the rating of this film so high. If this film was made in the 50s, it might just be ok.
September 17, 2015
This is a great but cheesy movie. If you like robots then cherck this out.
½ August 2, 2015
Los robots están chulos, pero apenas salen y el resto de la historia no vale la pena
July 19, 2015
Years before Guillermo Del Toro put people inside giant robots to fight against aliens from another dimension, Stuart Gordon, who was mostly known for adapting H.P. Lovecraft stories into horror films , teamed with writer Joe Haldeman to help put Gordon's ideas about giant robots fighting each other on paper. Charles Band's Empire Pictures produced the movie with a budget of around $10 million dollars, and amidst disagreements about the movie's tone between Gordon and Haldeman, the movie was released to unfavorable reviews and poor box office. Fortunately, it gained a cult status and lived on through repeat cable showings and rentals. One can go on and on about the similarities between this movie and Pacific Rim (which I also loved), but it should begin and end with the giant robots. Nearly everything else is different, including the reason for fighting in the first place. It really comes off as something that I would have loved as a kid, and I mean that in the best possible way. It's not necessarily violent, sexual, or chock full of bad language. In fact, much of Stuart Gordon's sometimes twisted personality is put aside, except for a couple of spontaneous moments. It plays more like a fairy tale in an odd sort of way, never becoming overtly serious, or for that matter, unpredictable. This movie's ideas are bigger than its budget. All of the elements are there already for an entertaining blockbuster. It unfortunately misses that mark, but in a grand B movie kind of way. Regardless, it's still an entertaining movie to watch.
July 12, 2015
The robot fighting is good and holds up but the rest does not
December 16, 2014
corny story line. bad stop motion. bad one liners. bad acting. a old hit that is that bad you keep watching.
½ November 2, 2014
So terrible. Can't wait for the Riftrax.
½ October 4, 2014
I believe this is the worst movie I have ever seen.
September 14, 2014
Not really a good movie by any conventional standards but good trashy fun.
July 20, 2014
A great little late 80s low budget sci fi with horrid acting and hilarious stereotyping. Just short of a really memorable 80s movie. Very Watchable.
½ March 26, 2014
Some epic robot/mecha fighting going on here with some epic stop motion effects hehe well sort of, its certainly very dated and looks more like an episode of 'Red Dwarf' than a film but its so gloriously tacky and fun.

A Band production (he does churn them out) which does seem to bare a small similarity to the recent 'Reel Steel' but admittedly is more of a mech film. Basically trained fighters combat in massive mechs for control of certain parts of the world which hold value but the fighters are part of a 'Formula 1' type team. Its chock full of silly sci-fi and wonderfully cheesy effects and bluescreen, some of which looks OK some of which looks nasty, but one things for sure the cast do their best to make it seem serious *chuckle*.

Its very easy going stuff and perfect for those sci-fi hounds out there that love a good B-movie and I'm sure we all know of Mr Band's work. Goodies wear white and are team America where as the baddies wear black and are naughty evil team Russia (boo! hiss!) 'crash n burn'.
March 14, 2014
Robot Jox, In the not too distant future. Countries have decided that it is better resolve conflicts using 40 story mechanized machines instead of infantry men and battle ships. The Mechs are serviced by a NASCAR pit crew type of group and they are controlled by human pilots called Jox, thus Robot Jox. The lead actor is played by Gary Graham from the film Alien Nation.

The film is pretty good. The budget is small and the acting is ok. But takin as a whole, it's an entertaining film. Decent drama and good fx. It's the Pacific Rim before Pacific Rim. I watched this film in 92 on VHS and it still holds up today.

Even with a limited budget just like Pacific Rim, one can really feel the scale of the giant Mechs. I liked that. Moreover
all of the effects are practical so they stand the test of time in the computer age. The good guys wears white and the bad guys wear black. Even the minor back story is pretty good. If you enjoy a light hearted romp into the not to distant future, then give this film a try.

A great film by Full moon.
½ January 1, 2014
If someone forced me to watch either "Transformers," "Pacific Rim," or "Robot Jox," I would probably go with "Robot Jox." That's not to say this is a good movie. It's the very definition of a B-movie, but it's a good B-movie, and at the end of the day I'd rather watch a good B-movie than a bad A-movie.

The plot is ridiculous to the point of it being unintentionally funny at times. However, this is more of a "so ridiculous it's good" rather than a "so bad it's good." The two semi-sequels "Robot Jox 2: Robot Wars" and "Robot Jox 2: Crash and Burn" are more of the "so bad it's good" variety. By the way, that wasn't a typo, both of the semi-sequels were #2, but neither had anything to do with Robot Jox besides the fact that they had giant robots in them.

At the end of the day, this was silly, funny, and comprehensible. Fans of B-movies should know that a comprehensible plot is not a given by any stretch of the imagination.

If you like 80's sci-fi, giant robots, and B-movies, then I highly recommend this movie to you. If not, stay away. Stay far away.
August 1, 2013
America's first attempt at a live-action giant robot movie. And it really crashed and burned. Go watch Pacific Rim instead.