Robot & Frank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robot & Frank Reviews

December 14, 2015
When we first began considering the possibility of artificial intelligence in film most usually it was of an antagonistic variety, i.e. HAL in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Most recently the idea being floated around is that we, in fact, come to be amorously predisposed to that which we invent ("It reminds me of somebody...") as in Ex Machina or Her. In that vein comes Frank Langella's moving portrayal of a senior resistant to technology who comes to feel quite differently in time. Highly recommended. Great stuff by all involved. Superior.
December 12, 2015
A light-hearted adventure with thoughtful performances, a heartfelt story and an amusing script.
½ November 27, 2015
Set in the near future, Frank, a retired cat burglar, has two grown kids who are concerned he can no longer live alone. They are tempted to place him in a nursing home until Frank's son chooses a different option: against the old man's wishes, he buys Frank, a walking, talking, humanoid robot programmed to improve his physical and mental health. (Samuel Goldwyn Films)
½ October 30, 2015
Great movie.
Nice story
October 29, 2015
I don't understand this film. It gets good reviews but is completely implausible. Described as a 'quirky indie drama' it purports to be a study of dementia as well as a comedy. I thought it was silly. The behaviours shown were not believable, particularly Frank's. The robot too was highly unlikely. Watched it as a bit of light relief, but actually it was just too fluffy.
October 29, 2015
Robot & Frank is a surprisingly original, warm, funny, witty, and insightful indie about friendship, aging, and family. Frank, an older man struggling with the reality of aging, is provided a robotic home companion. Frank initially rejects the robot's friendship, but the two form an unlikely partnership that charms viewers. My art teacher used to say, "a little dab will do ya" -- she meant that sometimes less is more. Director Jake Schreier doesn't let the movie take itself too seriously and in the process, creates a light yet thoughtful tale.
½ October 3, 2015
Mezcla de heist movie y filme de ciencia ficción, será pequeña de presupuesto, pero tiene una buena idea argumental: la amistad entre un viejo ladrón, y un robot, con un Frank Langella espléndido.
September 13, 2015
One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. I loved every minute of it.
½ September 10, 2015
A sweet fairytale about the strange friendship between an old man losing his memory and a robot, it is a bit slow but interesting.
½ August 23, 2015
A charming movie that deals with one of the universal fears: aging. A perfect performance from Frank Langella and one sweet friend on the Robot makes this a movie a form of reflection about growing old.
August 23, 2015
It portrays relationship of a robot and an aged person nicely by capturing psychology of elderly people:
* I can do it for myself.
He rejects the helper robot as he thinks he can still do without it.
* The truth is he wants friends.
The robot becomes a significant friend to talk with.
* I can do it with a little help.
He comes back to the jewelry thief with the helper robot as a partner.
* Keen on anti-aging
He tries a clocklike lifestyle for anti-aging after he was shocked by finding himself who doesn't remember his divorced wife.
* He wants to leave something for his son and daughter.
He gives a part of stolen goods. He also tries to give stolen goods to his son secretly after he escapes from the criminal punishment and enters a facility.
The portrayal is not revealing but light and enjoyable. If the robot can cook, wash, clean and keep company, not only elderly people but lazy people like want it!
August 14, 2015
A real little gem with a fine central performance by Langella. It's charming and funny and a beautiful insight into growing older, family and memory. Great film.
½ August 9, 2015
Otra buena opcion del NETFLIX...
½ July 12, 2015
Robot and Frank is both touching and moving when it comes to the movie story line, as the chemistry between the old man and the robot was spot on great and the highlight of the movie easily, but I really wish this was in a better movie. The movie isn't terrible but the movie didn't really interest in some scenes and I'm not going to re-watch this movie anytime soon. The movie is decent at least.
½ July 5, 2015
Didn't like this movie at all. Despite the big names, it felt totally flat and cartoonish for me.
½ July 1, 2015
Acting: 4 1/2 stars

Intrigue: 4 1/2 stars

Plot: 4 1/2 stars

A simple, short, and well crafted story of man and technology. Seems a little boring for about the first 15 minutes, but then things get creative and interesting once the Robot arrives. A great family film.

Overall: Worth It
May 22, 2015
A good case study of man and machine with an intriguing manipulation and development.
May 21, 2015
Best film I've seen in what seems like ages, driven by the central performance
May 18, 2015
Robot and Frank is an amazing indie movie that I'm glad to see that director Jake Schreier is directing Paper Towns. Frank Langella is great, and it's the first time I ever seen him in a movie. Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, and Liv Tyler are great in it also, but one of the highlights of the film is Peter Sarsgaard as the robot. The chemistry between Frank and the robot are such a delight to watch while having a lot of funny moments to spare. The soundtrack is really catchy and it gives off a bit of a future vibe which fits in to this movie. It's refreshing to see that the robot itself, knows that it's a robot, while having some human moments that worked out quite nicely. Robot and Frank is a nicely done film that it's a shame that we don't get films like this in theaters.