Robot & Frank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robot & Frank Reviews

May 21, 2015
Best film I've seen in what seems like ages, driven by the central performance
May 18, 2015
Robot and Frank is an amazing indie movie that I'm glad to see that director Jake Schreier is directing Paper Towns. Frank Langella is great, and it's the first time I ever seen him in a movie. Susan Sarandon, James Marsden, and Liv Tyler are great in it also, but one of the highlights of the film is Peter Sarsgaard as the robot. The chemistry between Frank and the robot are such a delight to watch while having a lot of funny moments to spare. The soundtrack is really catchy and it gives off a bit of a future vibe which fits in to this movie. It's refreshing to see that the robot itself, knows that it's a robot, while having some human moments that worked out quite nicely. Robot and Frank is a nicely done film that it's a shame that we don't get films like this in theaters.
May 17, 2015
sadder than I was planning for
May 16, 2015
Very interesting and professional take on a world that is futuristic but still has the regular elements of our normal day life. The performances are strong as well as the directing.
May 16, 2015
A sweet and lighthearted film that presents a genuinely creative idea through good performances and pleasant cinematography. Robot & Frank tells a story about an unlikely friendship between a man and a machine in a most charming and eventually heartbreaking way.
½ May 1, 2015
A well acted and written indie sci fi film. It does drag in places. But overall a nice little surprise.
April 25, 2015
Cute film. Nice Twist.

I'm not a big fan of "happy endings" How has Frank changed as a person? He now likes Robots? eh...
½ April 6, 2015
A former jewel thief in denial of his memory lapses is forced to live with a health care robot (not an inflatable one) who unwittingly becomes his accomplice in chasing the illicit burglary thrills that once landed the thief in the slammer but nevertheless gave meaning to his life.

Robot is rather cute in its na´ve approach to the world, but I find it hard to believe that the programmers didn't give him more common sense. The cold social interactions between Robot and the older biblio model, Mr. Darcy, are quite hilarious, and Susan Sarandon makes a nerdy/sexy librarian. The estranged father/son relationship as played by Frank Langella and James Marsden is compelling, but the human vs. robot rights debate broached by Liv Tyler's daughter character doesn't really go anywhere.
March 28, 2015
Interesting premise for a story - enjoyed how cat burglary, technology and losing one's memory can get all intertwined.
½ March 11, 2015
Robot & Frank made me rethink the way I feel our world is headed in technological terms. There really are robots out there assisting the elderly and keeping them company and that's a really nice concept for a movie to touch on. This film has a great Frank Langella performance. He plays Frank, an older man who is losing his memory and is losing touch with life as well. All that changes once his son brings him a robot assistant. Throughout the movie they gain a special bond together and Frank depends on him for his wellbeing. This movie was very heartfelt and emotional, mainly because this movie has realistic situations such as an elderly family member losing memory and their life is just slowly fading away and that's sad. However I appreciate that they were able to make light of this in the film. The connection between Frank and the robot was really special and heartfelt. His whole robbery past made for some funny moments in the movie and also leads to more serious parts. The connection with his kids is lost because of his criminal past and that's just upsetting! The movie takes a really big, but sad turn that I thought was really clever. The final act of the movie was a bit on the sadder side but I liked it, it ended on a bit of a thinking moment. It made me imagine how a special friend can be there to help you and help remember things and that's Frank and robot's relationship and that's touching. Robot & Frank was a touching, emotional, and funny movie about aging and how it affects your life and how a special friend can make all the difference. A-
January 30, 2015
A great performance from Langella elevates this from merely enjoyable to something more essential and far more rewarding. Full review later.
½ January 25, 2015
I just want a robot now
½ January 21, 2015
Robot & Frank features some pretty good acting. Frank Langella, Peter Sarsgaard, James Marsden and even Rachael Ma in the robot suit all give very believable performances. However, I found Frank to be an unlikeable character. I wasn't rooting for him. Plus, the plot seems watered down and stretched out, even with a runtime of only 89 minutes. This should have been a short film instead of a feature film.
January 19, 2015
Quiet and original. Simple, yet layered. And just about perfect
January 17, 2015
Definitely one of my favorite films. I found it to be so cute and heartwarming.
January 7, 2015
surprising funny low budget independent comedy
January 7, 2015
An old man developing Alzheimer's, or at least memory problems, is given a Robot to help take care of him by his son. He is at first reluctant to take the Robot, but warms up to him when he discovers he can teach the Robot to help him steal stuff...because he was once a burglar, and now he can be again with help! I love that this could have easily been too schmaltzy by making it some sweet old man, or even a grumpy old man who gets his heart warmed by the most unlikely of people, a Robot...no, he is a grumpy old criminal, who doesn't want the Robot until he realizes he can properly commit crimes again. It is a fine movie, and Langella is great in it. It was a fun little caper film with a twist or two.
January 5, 2015
Instead of world ending, post-apocalyptic shenanigans that you usually find when it comes to our robot-certain future, Robot & Frank treats it on a more human scale, in a more attainable world. It has a lighter touch, and Langella holds the movie up effortlessly as a retired cat burglar losing touch with his memory, but finding a connection with the most unlikely of companions as a partner in crime. Will robots end up being more than just that? This movie doesn't answer the question, but it's not trying to. It's just showing us how we might be with them, which might lead to more of the same. If that means friendship in unlikely places, then we'd be all the better for it.
January 3, 2015
Best movie I've seen in a while. Super engaging, often heartfelt and thoroughly fun.
½ January 2, 2015
A quite delightful film that will leave you longing for your own robot, even if Peter Sarsgaard's voice is slightly creepy.