Robotto kânibaru (Robot Carnival) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robotto kânibaru (Robot Carnival) Reviews

December 29, 2012
Dated, perhaps even crude by modern anime standards. That said, The Starlight Angel segment is hopeless romanticism at its best and holds the attention every time.
November 19, 2011
If someone were to ask me to recommend them an art film I'd point them towards Robot Carnival.
½ November 30, 2010
Excellent anime....watch "Cloud" and if that doesn't grip you - I do not know what will.
June 6, 2010
Pretty good all around. Each segment was pretty short, so I'll excuse the lack of a concise plot from most of them. The animation was great, especially in the opening sequence and the "Franken Gear" segments. The music was pretty good too, so overall, it was a pretty solid movie
April 4, 2010
Al más puro estilo Heavy Metal o Animatrix, hay cortos buenos y cortos malos. En general los cortos mudos son los mejores y la animación es buenísima en todos ellos.
September 1, 2009
An amazing collection of short films from acclaimed directors in the animation field, the story goes that they were handed one word on a slip of paper (ROBOTS) and were allowed to let their imagination run rampant for their segments. A visionary and risky film, Robot Carnival is a tour de force of interesting narratives. It certainly has an 80's vibe to it through the music and some of the animation, but overlooking this, the stories are fairly compelling and interesting. While I wouldn't call this Fantasia or Heavy Metal for robots (as it lacks the established music through classic or heavy metal influences) it certainly communicates these shorts in the same epic sort of way and is worth the time to dig out at your local video store if you are a fan of anime in any sort of way.
½ June 25, 2009
Wonderful animated segment film with all sorts of cool visuals. It's basically a Japanese Fantasia with robots, pretty cool eh?... Favorite segments are definitely Tale of Two Robots and Nightmare.
½ March 20, 2009
Amazing set of short films. There's a few clunkers in there, but the good ones absolutely make it worth owning.
November 12, 2008
Truly one of the best compilation animated movies of all time. Though not as renowned as Fantasia, it assembles the greatest directors and animators of the eighties and produces a menagerie of visual and audio bliss. Extremely rare in America, it took me a decade to find a copy.
August 2, 2008
½ July 31, 2008
Nifty anime anthology from the maker of "Akira" Katsuhiro Otomo is anime's answer to "Heavy Metal" and "Fantasia". It's a very imaginative collection of stories with robots as the theme.
July 29, 2008
Don't let people foot you, this is nothing like Fantasia. They are a collection of descent films, seem like student films, with no connection or even general mood that resembles each other. Some have good scenes in mind but there are few original ideas, experiments (besides Maos), or passion. And there is so much damn pastiche it hurts.
July 15, 2008
Like Walt Disney's Fantasia, this was a pretty bold project. And like Fantasia, it seems that people just didn't get it. Rarely do I see anyone in the fandom these days that has seen this and loved it, most have never seen it, and the ones who have just don't get it. There isn't much to get, it really wasn't that hard to understand, its just Art plain and simple. The idea behind it was this:

9 of Japan's leading animators were asked to create a short segment that followed the theme of "Robots," for their inclusion in this film. Essentially, this "movie" is 9 short films, all independant of one another. The common element is human interaction with robots, namely the consequences of creating life with one's own hands, played in nine very different ways.

Is it really that hard to understand? Anyway, its a beautifully made film with something for everyone IMO, serious moments, comedy, strange moments, scary moments, and poignant moments. I really love this film, I just wish it would get another R1 release.
½ July 7, 2008
Great Movie, decent animation all around cool cinematic experience. Ending was alright.
June 23, 2008
This isn't an easy collection of shorts to find (youtube has em all), but very enjoyable and unique look at robots from some very talented directors. Otomo's actuall "Robot Carnival" segment is a wonderful post-apocolyptic look at what mankind has coming to it! Masterful, scary, and funny as hell!
June 6, 2008
My first Anime movie way before Anime became mainstream and childish, when Anime was just a niche and no one until I was 12 knew what it was.
The best Anime movie the world has ever known. Seriously and devastatingly underrated.
May 27, 2008
I love this movie but now it's one of those hard to find gems
May 20, 2008
Now, I am no fan of anime. I find it to be an extremely crass, cliche, and overused form of illustration and animation that is devoid of most substance and artistic value. However, for every mine there is one or two gems. So it goes for the huge maw that is anime that Robot Carnival is one such gem. Personally, it is the only gem. Here is why.

First of all, to call this entire film "anime" is a bit of a misnomer. While all the animators are Japanese, each part of the film has a unique style to it. People are depicted differently in each short, and scenery ranges from simple deserts and countrysides to immense theme parks and cities. Some of these films are done clearly in the modern anime style, but for those like me who appreciate variety in our art, there a few other excellent examples of animation. Speaking of, the film, while being titled by the opening and closing sequences of a giant, mobile, mechanized performance, contains only one other unifying aspect: robots (or, more often than not, mechanical life). Like Disney's Fantasia, Robot Carnival is mostly silent of dialog and dominated by an enchanting, obviously 80s, musical score for each short film. While I love the music, it has divided many other fans of the film, whom often voice that they know of far better music to accompany the films.

But then you have the films themselves! Nine marvelous, epic stories, all wrapped up into barely-ten minute glimpses into a world both our own and not our own. Here we have typical humans: teenage girls with boy problems in "Star Light Angel", obsessive scientists such as Dr. Franken in "Franken's Gears", and even a Vespa-driving drunk in "Nightmare." Clearly though, the robots steal the show. Whether they are determined heroes ("Deprive"), love-torn androids ("Presence"), or fiendish goblins of the night ("Nightmare"), the robots demonstrate both the hopes and fears of a humanity heading for a future where such things are not impossible, but almost certainly destined to pass. The consequences of such life-like machines existing are shown, and several of the short films really make you think or ponder the nature of intelligence and emotion. Of course, there are some that are just for laughs or simple entertainment, so there is a wonderful balance between high-brow art and your typical, mass-appealing Saturday morning cartoon.

In conclusion, I cannot find anything wrong with this film. Though I saw it over a decade ago on television when I was a far more impressionable lad, watching again today reveals it has lost little of its effect. Robot Carnival is a whirlwind of emotion and thought, a little something for everyone whether you like animated films or not.
May 11, 2008
good animation and good plot
April 15, 2008
I imagine kids nowadays would find the animation in these shorts to be hokey, but that's just scratching the surface of the artistry presented in this classic.