Rock Haven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rock Haven Reviews

March 14, 2014
One of the best coming-of-age movies I've seen! One could easily tell it had a very low budget, so it relied completely on the story and the performance of the actors, and for me both were very solid!
October 15, 2012
Wow... If you wanna see a gay film, then don't pick this. The best bits were full nudity from the boys (Clifford is hung) & Clifford's mum was a bit of a legend... She was also the only one that could remotely act. Other than that it was dull, uninspired, with a snoozeworthy script with no depth or thought really. If you want a religious romantic tearaway of queer cinema the Latter Days is for you. Not this.
July 2, 2012
Really great story about a religious coming of age teen who questions his faith for the love of another of same sex. They found love.
April 23, 2012
Nice movie , but i didn`t like the end !! The end ruined the whole movie ! Arrrgh . . .
June 7, 2011
Not as good as "Latter Days."
January 1, 2011
[i]Rock Haven[/i] - a powerfully, subdued coming-of-age romance - touches the heart and soul of queer cinema. It's rare that a GLBT flick has any substance and/or any real message to convey to its audience. But [i]Rock Haven[/i] holds a universal truth - that homosexuality and spirituality are compatible and can co-exist in the same corporeal vessel.

Actor Sean Hoagland - a straight boy in real life - plays the tender and wholehearted Brady, a devoted servant of the church who experiences an inner yearning for the object of his affection, the pretentious young and hung Clifford, mischievously and effortlessly played by Owen Alabado.

The screenplay is a simple tale, brilliantly told, and magnificently filmed near rural San Francisco. One pivotal scene sent shivers up and down my whole body: where Brady innocently shifts his eyes back and forth, and stares deep into Clifford's eyes.

Add a quiet, yet palpitating performance of fundamentalist mother Marty (Laura Jane Coles) and you have a spiritual tale filled with contradictions and conflict that hits right at the core of every gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered individual who has ever attempted to reconcile their religious faith with their sexual orientation.

Kudos should be extended to Director/Writer David Lewis for creating one of the most beautifully colorful tapestries on any movie since [i]Legend[/i]. I have never seen so many varied hues and pastels in my entire cinematic-watching life (no substitute for the fall colors in Upper Michigan or New Hampshire).

You can tell the good ones from the great ones, and Sean, you have the potential to be one of the great ones. You engage the audience with your charisma and you bedazzle with your hot body as well.
½ November 28, 2010
Primero: un tache enorme al fotĂłgrafo...pĂ (C)sima de principio a fin, juego de correspondientes super mal hechas y el problema realmente no fue que los hubiera...puede haberlos...el problema es que son TAN obvios....no habĂ­a continuidad de la luz en las escenas...unas estaban sobreexpuestas mal plan.....eso sĂ­...a ninguna le faltĂł luz.

La historia: Prayers for Bobby versiĂłn que Bobby no se muere. Poco original, aunque el desenlace parecia algo prometedor...se pudo haber explotado mĂĄs a los personajes.

Por cierto que todo, desde el inicio, parecĂĄ una pelĂ­cula hecha para televisiĂłn ...no sĂ (C) quĂ (C) tan cierto sea esto.

Las actuaciones malĂ­simas aunque sĂ­ despedĂ­an una gran quĂ­mica los dos personajes principales.

En general una mala pelĂ­cula.
November 6, 2010
Peli para adolescentes confundidos.
½ June 27, 2010
Movies portraying the clash between religion and homosexuality have been done gazillion times before, and by no means is this movie like Latter Days or like Prayers for Bobby - it's flat out bad.

The only word that comes to mind to describe it is tedious. The plot is like it was written by a 12-year old who has doubts about his sexuality and the internal battles of the characters are portrayed very poorly. Here is this guy who can tell you whichever passage of the Bible you choose and yet all goes out the window when he meets hot gay stud. And after he's slept with him he remembers it's a sin! Dear Lord. Seriously now.

Maybe one positive I found is the fact that we actually see nudity - full frontal nudity - because most movies only show from the waist above.

A very silly movie, with terrible direction, terrible acting and poor expansion. I didn't believe the romance or the..."love" between two main characters for a second, let alone believe they were meant to be together when they've never really talked but only made out. If I was the hot stud and the guy I liked gave me the Bible to read as a present and kept telling me what I'm doing is an abomination, I swear I'd punch him not kiss him!

I've ranted enough I deem. Just needed to get out of me.
March 23, 2010
Un film qui commence mal. Mal filmé (genre comme un mauvais film de vacances), avec des personnages pas crédibles, des acteurs dont on ne sait que penser, aucun figurant, bref c'est du cheap cheap cheap.
Et puis, avec le temps... On se prend au jeu de l'histoire qui commence basiquement, mais qui se dĂ©veloppe de façon pas si banale que ça. Et qui ne se finit pas comme on s'y attendait. Les acteurs, un peu dĂ©stabilisants au dĂ©but, finissent pas ĂȘtre assez convaincants, mĂȘme dans leurs rĂŽles parfois caricaturaux. (Et Clifford est super bien foutu.)
On oubliera la musique... ou plutĂŽt on aimerait l'oublier, parce qu'elle est vraiment entĂȘtante... On oubliera aussi les plans ridicules sur les rochers et la mer. Ă?a marche quand on a une super photo, mais lĂ  ça fait plus rire qu'autre chose.
Un film qui se regarde plutĂŽt bien, qui laisse une bonne impression grĂące Ă  sa fin plus originale que prĂ©vu, mais loin d'ĂȘtre un chef d'Ć?uvre.
February 4, 2010
this has got to be one of the worst movies i have ever seen! bad acting, take that back, HORRIBLE ACTING!!!
December 9, 2009
the guys are cute. a little sad made me wanna cry.
½ November 29, 2009
coming of age with a different Christian approach.
½ June 27, 2009
Firstly GREAT film to paint your nails in! There are so many scenic shots that are dragged out you can take your eyes off the screen for ages!

Much better than I expected, some of the acting was a little shoddy in parts, but it was cute, the leads had chemistry and it did make me cry a little (always a good sign!)
April 25, 2009
Intimate coming-out story of a closet gay Christian boy falling in love with one who isn't Christian or closeted. You know from the start its not a long lasting match, but worth it for the emotional depth it covers, and his struggle as he comes to terms with who he is. Sadly, the acting is not as crisp and well filmed, as the cover indicates but the landscape scenes are swooping and soft. Great location shots along the California coast.
½ January 1, 2009
Really nice coming of age film, really just a nice movie.
December 16, 2008
... you must bein a relleaxed mood to follow the inner dramas (Christianity) of those 2 guys and their crazy mothers ... all of them great actors ... my heart was crying, seeing all this ... filmed in a romantic landscape ... for peolple with a heart ...
November 22, 2008
Watched this yesterday afternoon. SOme of the acting is a little dubious, but overall it's a pleasant tale of coming of age.
November 12, 2008
"You didn't come into my life by accident."
A very disappointing affair. Acting is wooden, editing is awkward, direction is kind of choppy and dialogue is corny. The script is not well-fleshed out and the essence of the story is not fully conveyed to the audience.
November 10, 2008
Gentle, interesting film about religion and sexuality. Leisurly paced with some stiff acting in places, it's nevertheless and enjoyable film with a lovely score and some beautiful scenery.