Rockers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rockers Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
police and thieves can't stop the music...
August 20, 2013
4 stars for the music alone. It's Oceans 11 with reggae musicians, and a lot of great unstaged Jamaica of the 1970s besides.
July 22, 2013
Colocando de parte a brilhante banda-sonora e o valor que Rockers tem como documento do reggae em 1978, o que sobra é uma história de hustling nem por isso muito interessante, mas com grandes momentos como aquele em que Dirty Harry ocupa a cabine do DJ para improvisar um soundsystem até que a polícia chegue. Também é engraçado ver uns tantos figurões do reggae (Kiddus I, Gregory Isaacs) empenhados num filme que, no fundo, demonstra até onde pode ir o sentido de humor dos rastas. É inevitável compará-lo ao The Harder They Come e a verdade é que perde para esse por 3 a 1, vá lá.
August 31, 2012
Watching with the family, seriously love this movie
½ January 6, 2012
Okay I watched it. They should of put the subtitles in English, instead of trying to just put down exactly what they were saying, but I could get more then enough to get what was going on.

I was actually surprised at the filming quality. Since the film started I couldn't figure out what I was watching or what was going to happen, I had to keep reminding myself it was movie. For some reason my brain kept telling me it was going to be a documentary.

I enjoyed it but it felt like it just kind of ended. Left me sitting there like, "That's it? I mean that was neat, but that's how it's going to end? Oh well, time to jam man." At which point I got off the bean bag chair and started jamming to the credits.
½ October 16, 2011
A movie riddled with Jamaican culture, Rockers is full of good humor, authentic reggae music that will have you tapping along to the beats, and a fun plot. Though the thick accents are difficult to understand, this movie is well worth your time.
Arianeta
August 13, 2011
I-man loves this movie. Rockers is so completely enjoyable and totally unique. Having very strong documentary features, this film keeps surprising the viewer every minute. It is (at least for the first half an hour or so) as if someone just shouldered a camera and followed Horsemouth around Kingston doing his daily hustling' business. Most of the main characters are real people, playing themselves, esp. reggae artists and producers, and most of the locations are real as well. What I like most about this movie is its many layers. It's like a deep insight into Jamaican society of the late 70's, the golden era of roots reggae, in all its many aspects like class struggle, Rasta, family and religious issues. The hero is trying to rise above his status and make himself, his family and community stronger. His values - peace, love, neighborliness - are tested by but he rises above difficulties and meets the challenge. The end is perfect and sweet. The use of real people as actors and the very poignant of real life in Jamaica are incredibly unusual. Several times, like in the opening scene, characters directly address the viewer personally by facing the camera which I've never seen used like this anywhere else. Technically it's remarkably well done (apart from some pretty dark underexposed moments), for instance they manage to have many songs of the soundtrack coming from actual sources in the picture. And the real question here is who is this Greek director and writer and how did he get so deep inside the Rasta community?
But the big attraction here is the music, not the plot. The soundtrack includes Peter Tosh, Robbie Shakespeare, Burning Spear, Gregory Isaacs, Jacob Miler& Inner Circle, Bunny Wailer, and Leroy Wallace (who plays the protagonist). It is very difficult to hear this music and still sit in your seat without even a little rock your body
May 10, 2011
One of my favorite. It's a very fun and easy film to watch, the music the story, the locations and who can beat the wardrobe? 'Rockstar' has a nice essay on Rastafarian culture, as well as a glossary of the rasta patois. Although, it is technically poor (very dark) , to all the cast and crew I fully salute and thank you for making a truly classic picture!! :D
February 17, 2011
Reggae drama might be my new favourite genre and this might be in the top-2 of all reggae dramas ever made.

Jamaica in the 70's is truly a fairytale country. You can't really take this country and it's inhabitants for real, or you just might can.

These black Yoda hippies is so much fun to watch, and to hear. The music is great.

Simple movie, but so effective
January 27, 2011
Reggae music at the pinnacle of the roots and rockers era. Classic riddims with a medium that has evolved, or rather transgressed to the commercial status that now survives. See the icons at their youthful prime. Many have passed on since Rockers was filmed. Some still tour. One of my blessings is to have witnessed an era of Reggae that shall be immortalized forever.
½ November 28, 2010
i'm only about 35 minutes in and i'm telling you this rules completely. unless you hate reggae, in which case we probably should not be friends. holy fucking shit. if you don't like this you are probably an asshole.
November 1, 2010
With music by Burning Spear, the late Gregory Isaacs, Peter Tosh, Third World, Bunny Wailer, etc., this is the coolest film ever!
"Musical disc from the flick of my wrist to make you jump and twist"
½ May 23, 2010
have soundtrack on lp 45
best intro too
jah love
April 20, 2010
If you like reggae music, you will love this film.
½ March 24, 2010
Killer Roots Reggae Movie i must see
½ March 16, 2010
ONE OF THE BEST JAMAICAN FILMS EVER.... A REAL MUST SEE FOR REGGEA LOVERS...........
½ March 9, 2010
Jamaican classic... loveful heights!
½ March 5, 2010
Greatest soundtrack ever...
December 23, 2009
Neorealist cinema from Jamaica! Powerful stuff! THIS IS A TAKEOVER!!! ;)
½ November 17, 2009
I don't how often I've watched this movie... I believe I'll watch it right now again :D