The Rocking Horse Winner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rocking Horse Winner Reviews

½ April 23, 2012
Dark overtones in this beautifully done dark fantasy!!
½ May 14, 2011
Mother's compulsive spending causes manic son to obsessively ride a toy which lets him predict race results with perfect accuracy. Weird John Howard Davies grew up to direct Mr. Bean.
½ September 4, 2009
What started out as watching a video in Honors English and making a Venn Daigram between the movie and the story. I rather enjoyed this classic. It was nice adaption that gave more insight into the tale. A soild film check it out if you want to veiw a classic.
August 17, 2009
A good serious film, surreal and sad.
½ February 11, 2009
All I can say to this is "TAKE ME! TAKE ME! TAKE ME! TAKE ME!"
December 13, 2008
seen parts or most of it...so scary! and i've read the story
rubystevens
December 4, 2008
a fine british adaptation of the creepy dh lawrence story about a boy who desperately rides his rocking horse in order to predict race winners to please his money obsessed mother
½ October 22, 2008
Amazing. It captures the feel of the story.
April 10, 2008
We need anything politically important rationed out like Pez: small, sweet, and coming out of a funny, plastic head.
Dennis Miller
½ March 18, 2008
I didn't like this film.
September 2, 2007
Lately I've been catiching up on a TV mini-series I vaguely remembered from the earlt 90's called "The Wild Palms". I haven't made up my mind about it yet. It's a science fiction piece with cyberpunk themes set in 2007 that deals with things like Virtual reaility and the so-called Japanese takeover of Western culture that either didn't happen in the way pictured here or didn't happen at all. The setting looks distressingly clean and aniseptic compared to the real 2007 and there are some obvious homages to David Lynch and the then-current Twin Peaks, like Robert Morse as a lounge singer who looks like he's about to morph into Dean Stockwell singing "A candy-colored clown they call the Sandman..." at any time. It generally has a good cast with people like Dana Delany, Robert Loggia, Kim Cattrall, Brad Dourif, David Warner and Bebe Neuwirth but I don't know about Jim Belushi of all people as the hero. There's a reason why his career has boiled down to starring on a "fat slob" TV sitcom. I haven't decided if I'll bother with the second disc of this thing or not.

I've also dug out my collection of The Phil Silvers Show to finish watching and it's fun to watch how that show evolved. In the early episodes it's just Sgt. Bilko as the archetypal con man fleecing everyone with impunity but later episodes get weirder and weirder starting I guess with the famous one where a monkey gets enlisted into the Army and has to be court-martialed to get him out. From there it's out to shows about Doberman being hypnotized to think he's in love with Colonel Hall's wife and Bilko trying to get some phenom pitcher a tryout with the Yankees. The supporting cast is fascinating to watch historically. This set includes appearances from Joe E. Ross, Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis alll of whom, of course, were important parts of Nat Hiken's next show, Car 54, Where Are You? There are also very early TV appearances by Dick Van Dyke and Alan Alda.
The funniest thing is the makeup of the platoon. To the the credit of the producers Bilko's platoon always seemed to include one black soldier but for "Doberman's Sister", where the plot called for the soldiers to all take each other's sisters on dates, a secomd black soldier mysteriously showed up because no way back then could the black soldier have dated one of his white buddies' sisters. Then again they simply could have had no black actors on that episode, so it was cool they did it that way.
exnavykds
August 25, 2007
Simultaneously touching and creepy.
July 19, 2007
All CLASSICS are GOOD
July 4, 2007
I read the story and enjoyed it. SO I want to see how the movie turned out
½ April 3, 2007
great ...oldie..check it out.....
December 26, 2005
What an interesting and fascinating film. Wonderfully directed by Anthony Pelessier. The cast is equally wonderful, especially John Mills. The strongest aspect of the film is the amazingly inventive cinematography. Well written. Excellent film all around.