RocknRolla - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

RocknRolla Reviews

½ February 20, 2016
This was an obvious attempt at a return to form by Ritchie at a low point both personally and professionally. Does it work? Yes and no, but mostly no. The cast of characters is charismatic and well portrayed, the dialogue sharp. The story... is as convoluted as anything I've ever seen. Despite their large ensemble casts and their intertwining stories, "Lock Stock..." and "Snatch" have an impressive economy of plot and are never confusing. The same can't be said for this film. It's all over the place in a very bad way. A sad case of too much being more than enough.
January 27, 2016
RocknRolla is an enjoyable enough film but I think the reason it's so easy to watch is because you've seen it all before, it's like bumping into an old friend. There is absolutely nothing original or profound about it, which I find annoying, but the cast is likable, likable enough for you not to hate it. Easy/lazy viewing, a masterpiece compared to Revolver and if I'm being honest, I would like to see another film starring the 'Wild-bunch' but I doubt very much that it's going to happen!
½ November 23, 2015
Has its great moments but ultimately leaves me unsatisfied. The movie only seems to be great when it actually focuses on its titular RockNRolla-ish characters. In typical Guy Ritchie fashion there are a lot of characters, almost rendering everyone as supporting roles and no one taking the position of lead. It just doesn't work in this film because it tries to emphasize certain characters as the main story while all these other characters show up every now and then and just distract from the story. This renders certain scenes between people that they don't emphasize as much boring and not feeling like they're leading to anything. Although with all of that said, I will say that when it does focus on the stuff that is deserving of a title so cool as RockNRolla, it's a blast to watch. The comedy is spot on in certain spots and it makes all the other miscelaneous stuff so disappointing. Overall, RockNRolla is "Sorta, Kinda, Meh...."
October 11, 2015
This film is a missed opportunity, but Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy are sexy and firery.
½ August 9, 2015
This film holds up remarkably well on the re-watch from the To-Watch Pile, so that's always a nice turn of events, especially now that we have Ritchie getting his groove back after after his divorce from Madonna.

I have to admit to some trepidation when I went into this one, but I was quite impressed with the levels of plotting, stylistic storytelling and performances on display; Guy Ritchie has truly redeemed himself after losing his way with stuff like Swept Away and Revolver during his married years.

Highly recommended.
½ August 7, 2015
Spoiler filled review

There aint no school like the Old School and in this Old School Im the headmaster?.

Trying to sum this movie up is pretty difficult. There is so much going on from the beginning that itâ(TM)s really hard to summarize. So, with that said here we go. A Russian high level thug wants to build a stadium in London. To do this he needs to use the "connections" of a local power figure. That would be Lenny: Thug-boss. Lenny and Uri (The Russian) make a deal and agree upon 7,000 euroâ(TM)s. Uri contacts his accountant to make the deal go through but doesnâ(TM)t suspect that she wants to do him wrong. Thatâ(TM)s where the Wild Bunch comes in. They steal the money and she makes a profit. At the same time Uri gives Lenny a âspecialâ? painting that holds sentimental and luck purposes until the deal goes through. Lennyâ(TM)s Rock N Rolla son steals the painting for himself⦠or crack. Things begin to get crazy as the two mob figureâ(TM)s question each otherâ(TM)s trust and worth as well as trying to figure out who is stealing money and who has the painting.
From this point on if you havenâ(TM)t seen the movie I would stop here. Possible spoilers ahead.

I will say that those accents had me thrown off for the first 30 minutes or so. After awhile just like reading subtitles I got used to it. Actually the first 5 minutes were the worst. The story was hard to follow and it was moving way to fast. Itâ(TM)s one of those movies where the closer to the end it gets, the more you understand. In my opinion Lenny was weak. He was supposed to encompass this fear that everyone in London should bow to? Hardly. The scenes with Uri had him acting like a second rate thug. Maybe, that was the direction given but, I thought it to be sad. Mark Strong played his âNumber 2â? (Archie) and I thought he did fantastic. The accountant was played by (Thandie Newton). I have seen Thandie act before and I wasnâ(TM)t too impressed with her role here. She seemed very dry and hardly âinto itâ?. Again, maybe this was the direction she was given but it left me feeling like she was a dead body walking around smoking a cigarette. She also, was a part of the quickest sex scene I have seen in awhile. This poses the question. How did that even happen? She was never interested in Mr. One Two but yet she stops by his house to hit it and quit it and then takes off. I guess Guy Ritchie was tying up loose ends with the painting. The Wild Bunch consisted of many men but the main players were Mr. One Two (Gerard Butler), Mumbles (Idris Elba), & Handsome Bob (Tom Hardy). It is a joy to see these guys in action. Even though there isnâ(TM)t much development Guy Ritchie had to throw in the Handsome Bob sexuality to help build upon the characterâ(TM)s. It felt a little out of place but it had a purpose. Favorite scene was the 2nd robbery followed by chase by the ânew Heaviesâ?. Those guys were relentless! Gerard Butler gives a average performance where Idris Elba outshineâ(TM)s him in less speaking parts. Iâ(TM)ve only seen Tom Hardy previously in The Dark Knight Rises trailers and itâ(TM)s funny to see him so skinny. I wonder if heâ(TM)ll show up in a sequel since heâ(TM)s bulked up so much. Johnny Quid is Lennyâ(TM)s unwanted son. He is the true RockNRolla. Also, heâ(TM)s a true crackhead. I didnâ(TM)t care too much for his character until the end of the movie. Heâ(TM)s actually pretty quotable. Johnnyâ(TM)s Music producers are played by Jeremy Piven & Ludacris. Both have very small parts and as a whole they were mediocre. But every time Ludacris spoke it felt like he had just learned his lines five minutes prior to filming them. Very stiff Ludaâ(TM).

On the whole, Guy Ritchie put together a well written movie. Although he didnâ(TM)t deviate from the Heist movie formula he still made it his own⦠in a way. Hey someone needs to tell these people that once you do a âjobâ? and it pays out great then you donâ(TM)t need to do it again right away. Let the air settle. I donâ(TM)t think any criminal in their right mind would do a âjobâ? back to back and not expect something bad to happen. This movie was cookie cutter but Ritchie was able to include many characters and although each didnâ(TM)t have much screen time they all were hashed out as well developed individuals. A balancing act for sure. I was intrigued that the whole movie was based on a mob deal. I say mob just because they âkeep their receipts, this ainâ(TM)t the mafiaâ?.

Comic Book Movie Plus? Mark Strong - Green Lantern, Tom Hardy - The Dark Knight Rises, Gerard Butler - 300, & Idris Elba - Thor & Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
June 29, 2015
85%
Saw this on 29/6/15
I liked this more than Lock, Stock and Two Smocking Barrels, but not as much as Snatch. Guy Ritchie returns to form with his gangster flicks and the outcome is a witty and entertaining film with fine cinematography, but a few not so good visual effects. Mark Strong and Toby Kebbell gives good performances while others simply play along. Gerard Butler is good, but his role lacks a prominence and is just a bystander. Ritchie's direction is strong and his pulpy gangster war is also great. Hope they make a sequel soon.
June 16, 2015
Nothing about this movie is original, the payoff could have been better, and some parts feel just plain disjointed, but the entertainment it provides still bathes in wit and amusement, making RockinRolla a solid time with the movies.
June 16, 2015
A man movie, a movie any guy would enjoy.
June 10, 2015
One of my favorite films of all time. The cast was perfectly pieced together
May 24, 2015
Nothing great, but certainly entertaining. I've yet to see Guy Ritchie make a better film. That sadly, is not saying much.
May 11, 2015
This is a fun yet gruesome caper...great dialogue and fantastic performances. Ritchie could churn these gangster flicks out forever and yet they would still seem fresh and exciting! Love it!
½ May 5, 2015
Sometimes the best way of making the movies is to not mess with the formula. I know its not the most innovative movie, or something new from Guy Ritchie , but RocknRolla was a blast. It was fun movie with great acting, Over the top dialog, thrilling action, funny comedies and memorable character.
Its not every movie that you can remember character and its quotes, but it simply the case for RocknRolla. Their personality was awesome and unique. Gerard Butler and Tom Hardy comedic presence was a thing in this film, yet Mark Strong and Karel Roden commanding look make sure that the film wasn't far away from being a action gangster movie
A film that is about a scrawny deal between Russian and British mob. The story was nothing new but there are still excitement and fun in the twist and turn itself. Even with all of the meaningful and memorable quotes, RocknRolla wasn't meant to be something artistic, meaningful or iconic, but it meant to give you fun, excitement, thrill and most importantly one hell of a ride.
May 3, 2015
Re-watch. Love this. Cracking cast. Good soundtrack. Strong is the balls. Twitch off Newton.
April 28, 2015
I personally really enjoyed it and Ritchie himself said it that this was more what he wants to see from a film then others. So this film is basically Ritchie's imagination which I loved. The thing I love most is that everyone is the main character it confusing but it all makes sense at the end. Every character is likable I didn't like johnny quid but I like it at the end. Overall from its story for its direction this is ana amazing film.
½ April 15, 2015
Disappointment, better to watch Lock Stock and Snatch
March 28, 2015
I think its fair to say Guy Ritchie and I dont get along with movies lol with the exception of Momento I havent found one movie I like of his yet. But at the same time I am always interested in them
March 27, 2015
Guy Ritchie is one of my top 5 favourite film makers
½ March 8, 2015
Like A Magician Trying To Confuse You With Distraction While He Works His Sleight Of Hand..By The Time The REAL Premise Reveals Itself The Muddle Of Plot/Character Mash Conuses You I Barely Just Hung On & It Was Half-Worth It I Sppose.
February 1, 2015