Rocky Balboa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky Balboa Reviews

March 30, 2016
The man the legend with one more fight left him the eye of the tiger!
March 27, 2016
A comeback story in the franchise, the film is triumphant in causing a bittersweet sense of nostalgia while keeping the audiences entertained, being invested in an updated setting, pairing well with the theme of ageing in thee character of Rocky.
March 25, 2016
I love this movie a lot but I just can not get over two characters that could of been way way better: Dixon and steps.
March 22, 2016
Very good movie. Classic.
March 19, 2016
My favorite Rocky movie
½ March 15, 2016
Restoring the character's Can-Do underdog qualities, this Rocky-solid redemption tale truly deserves a look from anyone who dropped out of the franchise after the low blow known as Rocky V. Audiences have every reason to want to boo this latter-day follow-up without even watching the fight--let alone sitting ringside. After all, the fourth Rocky sequel denigrated the series and our hero retired 20 years ago. If viewers watch blow for blow, however, they're truly in for one of the better Rocky films. Even though the film revisits a lot of the franchise's past and the main event proves far-fetched, this heart-warming sequel nonetheless ratchets up the entertainment value for an entire 12 rounds.

In this PG-rated sports drama, widower Rocky Balboa (Stallone) comes out of retirement and dons his gloves for his final fight, which pits him against the reigning heavyweight champ Mason 'The Line' Dixon (Antonio Tarver).

Somebody Up There Likes Me is a film about and expression attributed to boxing champ Rocky Marciano, but it likewise applies to another successful pugilist called Rocky, namely Balboa. With Adrian - long Rocky's anchor - out of the picture, the iconic character gets a refreshing new story arc while keeping her spirit very much alive and Stallone brings great poignancy to the part. Here, as a restaurateur happily telling old fight stories at - you guessed it -Adrian's, his next chapter feels wholly appropriate and plausible yet entirely respectful of the Balboa legacy. It's also great to see Young, so long relegated to third tier player, finally get elevated to second billing. If only his scenes with Stallone - mostly them trekking through Philadelphia revisiting long gone haunts - didn't descend into melodrama. Rocky's embattled relationship with his son teeters on the same melodramatic precipice, but it nonetheless rings true. As for the fight, in which computer analytics break down the actualities in a staged exhibition between far-over-the-hill Rocky and the current champion, it borders on hogwash. But, truth be told, it's damn entertaining hogwash.

Bottom Line: Million Dollar Maybe
March 13, 2016
It's Something More.
Same kind of boxing, same opponent, even without Mickey 's guidance, Apollo ' s guidance, Adrian ' s guidance it's still the same Rocky, just a bit aged. Far beyond the successes, victories, and intensity that is aged.
It's Something Gone. Veteran's Reunion.
½ March 12, 2016
actually a good movie!
March 11, 2016
Rocky Balboa is an unnecessary continuation of Rocky's life. Filled with brand new characters we don't care about, watching Rocky get back in the ring is far more cheesy than exciting.
March 8, 2016
A Great Movie, No Matter what any cynic says.
March 8, 2016
.,,,,,¢,,,,,,¦,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦...º
February 29, 2016
The fine line between making Rocky win and making it too predictable, and making him lose and making people have a bad taste of mouth as legendary Rocky loses his very last fight. However, I guess the importance of the movie, and the whole series in fact, is to show people it's not really about winning, but always trying you're best and not giving up and nobody teaches that as good as Rocky. Also, training montages. No one's as good as him for that.
February 6, 2016
If you're thinking "I don't know if I have it in me for another Rocky movie", well you've got one last Rocky movie viewing in ya. This is a terrific farewell to Rocky. Those left dissatisfied with Rocky V, this is the finale you were hoping for. It's a lot more in the spirit and tone of the original Rocky. Slower paced, character driven, heavy with the dialogue. The writing and dialogue is amazing. Rocky never sounded more like Rocky, with his Rocky-ism's. It was a joy to hear all he had to say. He gives a few more pep-talks than need be, but it's all the more inspiring.
½ February 4, 2016
A good last film, although Rocky has definitely aged a lot!
January 29, 2016
A diferencia de la quinta entrega, Rocky Balboa hace todo lo correcto, le da un buen final a la saga y lo ms importante es que nos recuerda por que amamos tanto a este personaje.
January 29, 2016
Let this bizarre vainity project die already, like it did a very long time ago.
½ January 25, 2016
There's a lot of nostalgia in this, the last of the "Rocky" movies.

My favorite part of the movie is the opening, where we see Rocky is still living in the same townhome he shared with Adrian, still has pet turtles, and still has Adrian's photo next to his bed. He wakes up at the crack of dawn and gets up, and for an older guy that's a very muscular back. After feeding those turtles, we see Rocky go outside getting on with his morning and what does he do? Make 5 or 6 pullups in his backyard look EASY.

As for the rest of the movie, it's pretty well put together. The movie is balanced between the stories of meeting and getting to know his new girlfriend Marie and her son, working on his relationship with Rocky Balboa, Jr., and preparing to fight a big fight with Maxon "The Line" Dixon.

Some time goes into setting up how the fight came to happen. Blame it all on a computer model!

We get worked up to see the big fight. All of Rocky's family and friends come on board to support him, importantly his son Rocky Jr. joins the home team and he's right next to Dad for the big fight, cheering him on, while girlfriend Marie cheers from the stands. Rocky's brother-in-law Pauli and Marie's son Steps are also there supporting Rocky. Rocky gives a top notch performance against heavyweight champion of the world Maxon Dixon, losing only by split decision and a hair. Marie is in his arms afterward, celebrating his victory, because for an old man to lose that closely to the heavyweight champion of the world is clearly a victory.

In the end, Rocky pays his respects to Adrian, with red roses on her grave and some choice words of appreciation to her. How sweet and nostalgic.
January 25, 2016
I was looking forward to this instalment of Rocky after I was disappointed by number 4 and to a degree number 5. This is better but for me it did not reach the high bar that the earlier Rocky films had sent. The plot is pretty implausible but you can't blame them for trying. I'm going to be honest, this film is overrated. I think too many people have watched this with rose tinted glasses and after watching number 4 and 5 I suppose anything better was bound to get decent reviews. As much as I like the Rocky franchise, I did feel that this was a bit of a feeble effort that was too sentimental for it's own good.

I'm so glad Creed has come along and breathed new life into the franchise because let's face it, it was crying out for it.
½ January 24, 2016
A nice way to close it out. A beautiful speech by Rocky in the movie to his son. One of my favourites, ever.
½ January 20, 2016
It brings back Rocky, some nostalgia for the first film, and it is one of the duller entries, but it does at least have heart. The same formula is there but it's not so apparent, and Stallone still carries the role. The final fight isn't the most exciting, but it helps the plot's main point.