The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Reviews

½ June 23, 2017
A musical for the ages, which holds up especially well in the age of anything goes. We open with a bright red-lipped mouth singing a song about science fiction. We?re then introduced to our leads who are attending a wedding: Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon) meet and it?s love at first sight. After singing their love to the world, the criminologist (Charles Gray) shows up to offer his take on the situation that leads to their disappearance. When Brad and Janet get stranded in the middle of nowhere, they seek help from the residents of the Frankenstein place, and what follows is the impurification of the engaged couple and utter insanity set to the most high-voltage soundtrack ever, so much so I felt burned out after the first few songs, my only major complaint about this movie as a whole. Throughout, they?re introduced to Riff Raff (Richard O?Brian), Magenta (Patricia Quinn) and the show stealing scientist Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry), who seeks to make Rocky Horror (Peter Hinwood) a man in just seven days. From the opening song to the closing one, the story makes sense with the only confusion coming from if you?re a little burned out after the first few songs like I was, especially if you just feel the need to sing (and maybe dance) along. The main characters of Brad and Janet were relatable as the eyes and ears of the audience who likely haven?t been exposed to this type of content before unless they?ve seen this movie before. They?re fairly well developed, but we could have had more. Anyway, with a few cheesy effects that not only don?t detract from, but add to the story, the picture is brilliant, and whether or not everything feels like it belongs there is irrelevant, because it?s just so energetic and weird. The music is just so energetic and weird too, with hits like ?Science Fiction/Double Feature,? ?Dammit Janet,? ?The Time Warp,? and ?Sweet Transvestite,? among others, which I felt was amazing and fun. Overall, The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the unwholesome, family unfriendly entertainment you?ve been seeking. So you can wa-wa-wa-wa-watch it, so you can get dirirty! And afterward, you?ll wanna go back and do the watch through again! There?s a light shining wherever you can get this movie! Follow it, get it, and watch it!
½ May 16, 2017
Weird random over the top in the best way possible great performance some well directed musical numbers if your into strange movies from the 70s you should definitely watch this
½ May 4, 2017
Too freakish. I don't really get it and don't care for it, although "The Time Warp" isn't a bad song. (First and only viewing - 10/25/2009)
May 2, 2017
Love this cult classic!
½ March 30, 2017
This movie is weird and is considered a cult movie but to me it was generic and isn't memorable as to many people it is.
½ February 25, 2017
70s decadence right there in spades. Imagine if you will a transvestite willy wonka scientist. (The shit willy wonka not Gene Wilder) and you're most of the way there. It's a sing along homage to horror with added sex and pizazz in a highly camp 70s way.
February 18, 2017
A musical masterpiece like no other! How often is it that one likes every song from a soundtrack, with no exceptions? I thought never, until now - Richard O'Brien is comedy gold and a genius. It's totally original, straight from the twisted mind to a movie, and casting the perfect bunch of misfits to deliver an outstanding piece of entertainment. Can't imagine there's too many other films out there focusing on transvestite aliens that are creating a muscle man for their own sexual pleasure. Not that there's a real market for that sort of thing but if you want to hit the headlines, you've gotta be unique. It's a perfect blend of story and lyrics, famed notably for its Time Warp ditty, yet backed up with an array of other gems. Brad and Janet literally don't know what's hit them when they enter this castle, nor will we if we're not primed for it, but they're soon finding their way around what appears to be a drag show set in Dracula's castle. For some It's possibly a little too extreme for live viewing, but a sure fire hit from the comfort of your sofa. It feels as current as any other number released in theatres today, despite being over 40 years old. It's been around longer than me, and suspect it'll still be gripping people for lifetimes to come.
January 22, 2017
The fun of the first half is more or less gutted by the content that arises by the midpoint. Queerphobic, full of stereotypes for characters, and its portrayal of sexual assault is pretty reprehensible. "If you get assaulted, you'll have fun and it'll make you cooler!" Fuck that shit.
January 17, 2017
Over-the-top, absurdly ridiculous, and very funny. Tim Curry is great.

7.5/10.
½ January 12, 2017
serious if you taste this low I do not need to know you. this movie is timeless.
December 25, 2016
Slow paced and dull unless one is in a theater with people for a "midnight screening" of it - with props. On Blu-Ray.
December 20, 2016
3.09 --- Entertaining but weird. Why people from another planet?
December 12, 2016
My All Time Favorite Musical !
December 12, 2016
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is directed and co-written by Richard Sharman, who also directed the musical play version, and it stars Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, and Barry Bostwick in a musical comedy about an engaged couple that got themselves in an accident, and they found a castle that's run by Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry) who is a transvestite that created a human being, and doesn't want them to leave. My friends talked this so much that I'm honestly tired of hearing about it and finally got to watch and finish this, and while it's not as awesome as my friends say it is constantly, I did had a lot of fun with this. The acting is pretty good when they act good, or intentionally bad, and Tim Curry is the best part of the film as he's just having a riot with this and just making the best of this weird film. The songs are just really memorable, whether it be Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite, which Tim Curry is a great singer for it. It's interesting that the film portrayed one of the characters as bi-sexual as the early films haven't really done something like this, and the production designs look really out there, but fits to the tone of the film. There's a good balance of zaniness to it, and there's some funny moments, but not quite consistent with it. It probably wasn't as fun as I thought was going to be, which is probably because my friends hyped it up so much for that, and the ending might've lose me a bit there, even if I was enjoying it. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a great musical that I can see why my friends talked about this a lot.
December 4, 2016
Tim Curry is everything!
½ December 2, 2016
SO weird! It was pretty entertaining though. Tim Curry was my favorite part of the movie by far. I wish I could've seen it live.
November 27, 2016
It's a strange and delightful film. Most of the good songs are in the first 40 minutes but it's still enjoyable. Watch it at home before going to a theater.
November 21, 2016
Best musical ever and just one of the greatest movies ever.
November 11, 2016
161111. I've always enjoyed a couple songs from this film but overall it's weak. I'll see what the British Version brings next year.
½ November 6, 2016
It's such a great tribute to all sci-fi and horror musical fans alike.