The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Reviews

July 24, 2016
Absolutely delightful with my favorite characters of all time,foot-tapping songs,iconic plot and sketches,devilishly twisted fun.The Rocky Horror Picture Show earns and deserves its cult following thanks to its classical like fun atmosphere created by its amazing cast and songs.
July 24, 2016
Glissey icebreaking horror in the name of queer. I really dont like musicals, obviously this isnt doing it for me either.
June 18, 2016
Classic musical. Let's do the time warp. (El baile del sapo).
½ May 12, 2016
Been doing the Time Warp since 1979. Not afraid to admit it even being a 55 year old man with a wife and three kids. Always time to give yourself over to absolute pleasure.
May 8, 2016
The only musical I like. One of my favourite movies.
½ April 25, 2016
totally funny, not at all what I expected. never knew Tim Curry is that talented.
beautiful escapism movie.
April 25, 2016
For some reason, I avoided watching this movie. After seeing it, finally, I asked myself, "Why did it take a long time for me to do so?" This is Tim Curry at his finest. He reminds me of Freddie Mercury. This low-budget film is definitely a classic. Though story-wise, it's a 70's blue cheese, I think it didn't intend to be great in that department. It was meant to be an experience. And experience, I got.
April 23, 2016
I love this movie! It makes me happy and Tim is just sexy in it!! I love the music and sing to all of the songs!! Just a wonderful "gender-bending cult classic"!!!
April 15, 2016
A movie that makes you want to put on garters and top hats!
March 25, 2016
Absolutely loved this!! The songs are so catchy and I love the way how the movie is something you can get up and sing and dance along too!! <3
March 22, 2016
A bizarre, campy, comedy-horror classic.
March 2, 2016
Tim Curry as Frankenfurter was my sexual awakening.
½ February 29, 2016
A poor B movie, probably only loved because it's a musical
February 28, 2016
This movie is really inspiring, omg I love it
February 21, 2016
Few movies are as embedded in the public conscious as firmly as "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," which, forty-plus years after its initial release, has found itself to be the longest running film in cinema history and is perhaps the most well-known cult movie of all time. So iconic are its costumes and performances that they seem to have a life of their own - even those not as obsessed with what it has to stylistically provide are well aware of Dr. Frank N. Furter and his army of wild followers, dressed in ripped fishnet stockings, cheap lingerie, and caked in gaudy theatrical makeup.
It wasn't always meant to be that way. A short time after it hit theaters, audiences didn't quite get its bizarre ways, making almost no money and leaving most screenings basically empty. But, well-aware of the way cinematic rejects, like 1972's "Pink Flamingos," for example, were making money off midnight screenings, Fox decided to give it new life through the form, thus beginning its journey into infamy. To date, audiences are still as gaga over "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as they were four decades ago, still showing up to screenings dressed as their favorite characters, still chanting out every line of the movie in unison, still acting out the most dramatic of musical sequences like it's their job. The movie has never stopped being a cultural phenomenon - its strangeness is unabashedly contagious, never to lose its flamboyant sense of fun.
So while I'll be the first to commend the way it's made eccentricity mainstream, and while I'm completely entranced by Tim Curry's performance and Richard O'Brien's (who also plays a pivotal character in the film) knockabout soundtrack, it's a work that I suspect is much more fun when surrounded by its most affectionate fanatics, oohing and ahing at the screen, or when it's thrust onto the stage, where its energy can roam freely and be supplemented by a live audience reaction. As a film, it can be silly but also uneven, its musical bits much more breathtaking than the camp it tries to achieve when going for the dramedy.
But who am I to criticize it on a level of merit - this is the kind of film made for pleasure-seeking viewers on the prowl for a great time, not ones like me who can giggle along with the madness but are also a little hard to impress because their lives consist of watching movies unremittingly. For what it's worth, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a success in what it's trying to accomplish, which is to be a crazed rock musical paying homage to the B-movies of the 1930s-'70s.
The film's plot is something to behold, a kooky soul-sister of the Frankenstein story and covered in quite a bit more outlandish glamour. It is centered on all-American couple Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon), who are forced to walk to a nearby castle (red flag) after they get a flat tire during a rainstorm. All they want to do is use a phone to call for help, but fate won't have it - the castle belongs to transvestite Dr. Frank N. Furter (Curry), a mad scientist from Transsexual, Transylvania.
They have stumbled onto the scene at perhaps the worst time possible; Frank is about to complete his long-in-the-making experiment, which is to create a perfect male specimen, named Rocky (Peter Hinwood). They watch in horror as Rocky goes from created object to living, breathing beefcake, and as Frank's antics begin to grow increasingly deranged and frequently directed at them. During this fateful night, Brad and Janet come to know themselves in ways they never would have in the *real* world, their relationship on thin ice if they don't keep their thought-to-be morals in check.
"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a great time until it isn't anymore, arguably running a little too long for a B-movie of such exasperation. But it contains a lot of magnificence, from Curry's incredible performance to the way its director, Jim Sharman, sees his vision through with soundly imaginative vigor. Maybe I'll like the film more if I see it at one of its famed midnight screenings, or if I watch it with a large group instead of by myself in the early hours of a lazy Sunday morning. Until then, I'll consider it to be a cultural sensation that is often effulgent as a film but doesn't always go the whole nine yards.
February 5, 2016
I don't remember the story too well, and a couple of the characters are silly and uninteresting, but it is undeniably a fun time, especially if you see it at one of those special interactive screenings.
January 24, 2016
Finally saw it, and forced myself to finish. Wasn't my cup of tea, but finally understood why people show up to those midnight screenings dressed....as they do. Didn't find myself laughing, but probably grinned at a scene or two. -12/20/15
January 16, 2016
A movie that is something of an enthusiastic shambles, and collapses altogether in the final reels,fresh-faced Sarandon and Bostwick are the all-American honeymooners who wind up in the tender care of Tim Curry's camper-than-thou Transylvanian transvestite, O'Brien's hunchback butler and sundry kinky cronies. A string of hummable songs gives it momentum, Gray's admirably straight-faced narrator holds it together, and a run on black lingerie takes care of almost everything else.
½ January 15, 2016
A brilliant movie. Catchy songs and fun acting. Ok, it loses a bit in the second half, but hey, it's still amazing
January 9, 2016
Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of the biggest cult movies of all time. Whenever they play this film in cinemas people flock to see it and pretty much worship this film and well I think it's pretty overrated. Now don't get me wrong Rocky Horror Picture Show is a good movie and parts of it are great but I found it a bit meh. This film does have a lot of good in it. The main characters are very likeable and all the acting is good. Tim Curry is amazing, he has the best song in the movie, he chews up the scenery and he's one of the best silly villains ever. The songs are great, especially Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite. The set design and production designs are brilliant to look at.
However for me this film is just meh. I love the movie from opening to the creation of Rocky but after that scene the film's quality takes a drastic dip. This film also just gets a bit boring and it feels a lot longer than 90 minutes. I also think the climax is quite weak. I get why people love this film but I just don't think it's amazing and it's just kind of okay. I did enjoy this film and I do think it's good but this film feels like it would be better as a play than a movie, which it is and apparently the play is a lot better. Overall I did enjoy this movie but it's very underwhelming. I would reccomend it for lovers of musicals but for everyone else is say maybe give it a watch. B-