The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Reviews

March 25, 2016
Absolutely loved this!! The songs are so catchy and I love the way how the movie is something you can get up and sing and dance along too!! <3
March 22, 2016
A bizarre, campy, comedy-horror classic.
March 2, 2016
Tim Curry as Frankenfurter was my sexual awakening.
½ February 29, 2016
A poor B movie, probably only loved because it's a musical
February 28, 2016
This movie is really inspiring, omg I love it
February 21, 2016
Few movies are as embedded in the public conscious as firmly as "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," which, forty-plus years after its initial release, has found itself to be the longest running film in cinema history and is perhaps the most well-known cult movie of all time. So iconic are its costumes and performances that they seem to have a life of their own - even those not as obsessed with what it has to stylistically provide are well aware of Dr. Frank N. Furter and his army of wild followers, dressed in ripped fishnet stockings, cheap lingerie, and caked in gaudy theatrical makeup.
It wasn't always meant to be that way. A short time after it hit theaters, audiences didn't quite get its bizarre ways, making almost no money and leaving most screenings basically empty. But, well-aware of the way cinematic rejects, like 1972's "Pink Flamingos," for example, were making money off midnight screenings, Fox decided to give it new life through the form, thus beginning its journey into infamy. To date, audiences are still as gaga over "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as they were four decades ago, still showing up to screenings dressed as their favorite characters, still chanting out every line of the movie in unison, still acting out the most dramatic of musical sequences like it's their job. The movie has never stopped being a cultural phenomenon - its strangeness is unabashedly contagious, never to lose its flamboyant sense of fun.
So while I'll be the first to commend the way it's made eccentricity mainstream, and while I'm completely entranced by Tim Curry's performance and Richard O'Brien's (who also plays a pivotal character in the film) knockabout soundtrack, it's a work that I suspect is much more fun when surrounded by its most affectionate fanatics, oohing and ahing at the screen, or when it's thrust onto the stage, where its energy can roam freely and be supplemented by a live audience reaction. As a film, it can be silly but also uneven, its musical bits much more breathtaking than the camp it tries to achieve when going for the dramedy.
But who am I to criticize it on a level of merit - this is the kind of film made for pleasure-seeking viewers on the prowl for a great time, not ones like me who can giggle along with the madness but are also a little hard to impress because their lives consist of watching movies unremittingly. For what it's worth, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a success in what it's trying to accomplish, which is to be a crazed rock musical paying homage to the B-movies of the 1930s-'70s.
The film's plot is something to behold, a kooky soul-sister of the Frankenstein story and covered in quite a bit more outlandish glamour. It is centered on all-American couple Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon), who are forced to walk to a nearby castle (red flag) after they get a flat tire during a rainstorm. All they want to do is use a phone to call for help, but fate won't have it - the castle belongs to transvestite Dr. Frank N. Furter (Curry), a mad scientist from Transsexual, Transylvania.
They have stumbled onto the scene at perhaps the worst time possible; Frank is about to complete his long-in-the-making experiment, which is to create a perfect male specimen, named Rocky (Peter Hinwood). They watch in horror as Rocky goes from created object to living, breathing beefcake, and as Frank's antics begin to grow increasingly deranged and frequently directed at them. During this fateful night, Brad and Janet come to know themselves in ways they never would have in the *real* world, their relationship on thin ice if they don't keep their thought-to-be morals in check.
"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is a great time until it isn't anymore, arguably running a little too long for a B-movie of such exasperation. But it contains a lot of magnificence, from Curry's incredible performance to the way its director, Jim Sharman, sees his vision through with soundly imaginative vigor. Maybe I'll like the film more if I see it at one of its famed midnight screenings, or if I watch it with a large group instead of by myself in the early hours of a lazy Sunday morning. Until then, I'll consider it to be a cultural sensation that is often effulgent as a film but doesn't always go the whole nine yards.
February 5, 2016
I don't remember the story too well, and a couple of the characters are silly and uninteresting, but it is undeniably a fun time, especially if you see it at one of those special interactive screenings.
January 16, 2016
A movie that is something of an enthusiastic shambles, and collapses altogether in the final reels,fresh-faced Sarandon and Bostwick are the all-American honeymooners who wind up in the tender care of Tim Curry's camper-than-thou Transylvanian transvestite, O'Brien's hunchback butler and sundry kinky cronies. A string of hummable songs gives it momentum, Gray's admirably straight-faced narrator holds it together, and a run on black lingerie takes care of almost everything else.
½ January 15, 2016
A brilliant movie. Catchy songs and fun acting. Ok, it loses a bit in the second half, but hey, it's still amazing
January 9, 2016
Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of the biggest cult movies of all time. Whenever they play this film in cinemas people flock to see it and pretty much worship this film and well I think it's pretty overrated. Now don't get me wrong Rocky Horror Picture Show is a good movie and parts of it are great but I found it a bit meh. This film does have a lot of good in it. The main characters are very likeable and all the acting is good. Tim Curry is amazing, he has the best song in the movie, he chews up the scenery and he's one of the best silly villains ever. The songs are great, especially Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite. The set design and production designs are brilliant to look at.
However for me this film is just meh. I love the movie from opening to the creation of Rocky but after that scene the film's quality takes a drastic dip. This film also just gets a bit boring and it feels a lot longer than 90 minutes. I also think the climax is quite weak. I get why people love this film but I just don't think it's amazing and it's just kind of okay. I did enjoy this film and I do think it's good but this film feels like it would be better as a play than a movie, which it is and apparently the play is a lot better. Overall I did enjoy this movie but it's very underwhelming. I would reccomend it for lovers of musicals but for everyone else is say maybe give it a watch. B-
½ January 7, 2016
Must see with live interactive performance.
½ January 3, 2016
Seeing this in a singalong soon so decided to reacquaint myself again. Its a gloriously camp silly and outrageous as I remember. Currie steals the show along with the soundtrack.
December 25, 2015
A pure classic. You need to see at least once!
December 21, 2015
If you're part of the "Rocky Horror" cult following, the movie is fun and enjoyable to dress up with and sing along to; if you're not a hardcore fan, you'll still find it fun...and also forgettable.
½ December 13, 2015
Never understood why anyone enjoyed this piece of shit! It is overly weird for no apparent reason,The songs are very much so over sung and are annoying not to mention the acting from everyone in this film is just atrocious.
0.5/5
December 6, 2015
You're either going to really enjoy this movie, or really hate this movie. If you're one of the former, welcome to the club :)
November 26, 2015
The pacing is uneven and the ending kind of leaves you with a bit of a sour taste in your mouth, but it's fun, the songs are catchy, the cinematography is pretty fabulous and there's this unbridled passion for B-Movies and Broadway. It's kitschy, it's tongue-in-cheek and it may not be for everyone, but it's silly fun anyway.
November 25, 2015
this was a unique musical with a simple story and was old but still enjoyable
November 21, 2015
Rocky Horror is a cult classic and features some great tunes, but you might need a Venn diagram to follow the plot
½ November 20, 2015
I'm pretty sure that when I first saw "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" at 13, it made every bit of sense. Watching it now at 21, it really doesn't make a lick of sense. But that was never a priority for scriptwriter and composer/lyricist Richard O'Brien, director Jim Sharman and their cast. "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" is knowingly zany and all the more entertaining for it. The delightfully 70's rock soundtrack is a blast. Whether it's "Dammit Janet" or "Sweet Transvestite" or "The Time Warp", it's impossible to not jam out. The cast is down for all of the bizarre comedy of the film, as well. Barry Bostwick (the original Danny Zuko in "Grease" on Broadway") and Susan Sarandon make for a sympathetic and funny Brad and Janet (this early in Sarandon's career, "Rocky Horror" was the first sign of her sex appeal). Richard O'Brien and Patricia Quinn are a riot as Riff Raff and Magenta, and Nell Campbell is adorably silly as Columbia. Peter Hinwood's Rocky is a sexy, if not the best acted, beefcake and Jonathan Adams' Dr. Scott is decent. Clearly, they are the weakest links in the cast. Meat Loaf nearly steals the show as Eddie with just one song (his "Hot Patootie" is every indication of his classic rock star status). But the movie really belongs to Tim Curry as Frank-N-Furter. His wild-eyed mad scientist drag queen is a performance to remember. No, it's not Oscar-worthy, but it doesn't have to be. Another thing the movie has going for it is how much significance it holds in the LGBT community. Its shameless sexuality and unabashed glee for being exactly what it is is precisely why it's such a cult classic. So while "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" doesn't make much sense in terms of plot structure and there are just a few weak links in the cast, it's still a wonderful trip down midnight movie lane. Only one thing remains on my bucket list: see "Rocky Horror" at midnight in a crowded theater.