Rocky III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky III Reviews

January 26, 2016
really good. "I pitty the fool" who doesn't like this film. LOL
½ January 26, 2016
Of all film franchises this one's appeal deeply mystifies me. Is it simply just a case of mass hysteria, bought on by people WAY too easily roused by montages of men working out and then hitting each other in the head??? I'll admit it's unintentionally hilarious at times though. Why does he fight Hulk Hogan again??? Seriously......WHY? And no way is "Exhibition Fight for charity" an even remotely acceptable answer. And I swear there is some homo-erotic stuff happening here, whether consciously intentional or not.
½ January 25, 2016
A diferencias de sus antecesoras, esta entrega se enfoca más al factor entretenimiento, pero a la vez conservas algunos rasgos emocionales que hicieron brillar a la primera entrega.
½ January 23, 2016
Rocky III doesn't add anything new to the series, but it still has 1 or 2 good moments.
½ January 20, 2016
It's more Rocky boxing and drama, but it's different enough to keep you entertained and inspired. It is a little dated, but fun for an 80's fan. The characters are still as likable and interesting as ever, and the final brawl is still exciting.
½ January 16, 2016
Clubber Lang is the best antagonist Rocky has faced, and the writers do a good job of distinguishing this film from its predecessors and creating new drama, rather than simply rehashing the same storylines. But while still enjoyable, I think it's about a half-step down from the first two installments.

Grade: B+
January 11, 2016
The eye of the tiger...

Rocky Balboa has become world champion and Mick has done a great job of selecting opponents that allow him to defend his title and protect his weaknesses. A fast rising knockout artist named Clubber Lang calls out Rocky and eventually a fight is set up. In the process of the fight Mick dies and Rocky loses. Rocky gets his rematch but he'll need to rely on an old friend, Apollo Creed, if he hopes to have any chance against Clubber's relentless style.

"What's your prediction for the fight?"
"Prediction? Pain."

Sylvester Stallone, director of Paradise Alley, Rocky II & IV, Rambo, Staying Alive, The Expendables, Rocky Balboa, and the upcoming Rambo: The Television Series, delivers Rocky III. The storyline for this picture is a huge step down from the previous two pictures. There are more ridiculous sequences and unrealistic scenarios in this movie than the previous two. The acting is okay and the cast includes Stallone, Carl Weathers, Mr. T., Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire, Burt Young, and Hulk Hogan.

"There is no tomorrow."

These were all available on Netflix until 12/31 so I added them to my queue. This was the worst one in the series to date but I still loved it as a kid. It starts to show the eventual decline of Rocky and some of the evils that will lead to his downfall in later films; nevertheless, this was worth seeing for fans of the character or series.

"Sometimes charity really hurts."

Grade: C+
January 9, 2016
Rocky III is a crazy over the top sports movie that is a great watch and even has touching moments at points Mr.T made a great villain as clubber lang and you root for rocky to beat him for the entire movie
January 8, 2016
Rocky 3 sports a lot of interesting and appropriate challenges for the character story-wise. We've got a brawny, fired challenger who signifies an end of Rocky's prime, but also challenges his entire reputation, a reputation of which has garnered Rocky with social difficulties. It's great to see his relationship with Mick continue to develop and his overall entrance into a more known world.
½ January 8, 2016
This is where the Rocky series gets a little goofy, but there are some things that will make anybody that has only seen the first Rocky movie, that will surprise them
January 5, 2016
This sequel is when I really started to appreciate the franchise. Mr T makes an excellent opponent and Apollo staying in the movies to play an important part keeps things fresh and watchable.
½ January 5, 2016
The script works in the sense that staying at the top, staying hungry, can be as tough as the climb to get there. That said, the charm the first two movies had isn't nearly as strong here, especially with the lead character himself. Carl Weathers' Apollo is actually more interesting than Rocky. But it's probably the best performance Talia Shire yet. Gone is the timid Adrian. Mr. T plays a one dimensional villain. Still, a decent entry for Rocky die hards.
January 3, 2016
"Rocky III" hits the ground running and never backs off. It offers a recap of the last fight between Rocky and Creed, followed by an exciting montage that contrasts Rocky's success with Clubber Lang's ascent of the boxing rankings. The opening montage is set to "Eye of the Tiger" which, in addition to being an awesome Oscar-nominated song, establishes a theme that will become one of the main lessons that Rocky learns throughout the film. It's fun to finally see The Italian Stallion as a successful boxer and enjoying his fame. The first films portray Rocky as a hard worker whose success is half skill and half luck; this time, he continually proves his skill and is rewarded for it. As a result, Rocky becomes more like Apollo and Lang becomes more like Rocky. The film takes an interesting turn with the whole Hulk Hogan charity match (which I always felt was out of place) but I now see how it fits in with the growth of Rocky's image beyond his control. The best thing about this movie is that there is a ton of boxing and it is frequent from start to finish. The editing of the boxing sequences continues to grow more impressive and intense as the series progresses. It seems like each film in the series gives another actor a chance to come alive and this one is Talia Shire's. Her character is very shy and reserved but this is where she transforms into a strong woman. "Rocky III" is underrated and often overlooked in favor of the fourth film, but the emotions that drive "Rocky IV" are completely dependent on the developing friendship between Rocky and Apollo in this film. The iconic ending seals our hatred for the Russian in IV. If you binge-watch the series, you will find that there are a lot of moments recycled from prior films (Rocky learning a new style of boxing, wanting to give up, needing a motivational speech then working the hardest that he ever has), but for whatever reason this equation works over and over again. "Rocky III" is a great film that marks important developments in Rocky's boxing success, his relationship with Apollo Creed, and his relationship with his wife. It may often be forgotten but I would argue that III is pivotal in the story arc of the entire series, especially now that "Creed" has been released and heavily relies on these developments.
January 2, 2016
Rocky 3 makes up for the wasted potential of Rocky 2 with a fresh new course and some great moments, even if it squanders its fullest potential by wasting Talia Shire.
½ December 27, 2015
In my opinion the greatest in the Rocky series. This fight is far more personal with much more emotional weight. With perfect pacing and character development this movie has inspired many boxing movies coming after it!
December 24, 2015
Probably the only time I ever wanted to see BA Baracus get the shit kicked out of himself. Love the training montage and the introduction of 'Survivor's Eye of the Tiger' brings the soundtrack to a whole new level. Some emotional scenes too.
December 22, 2015
A lot to like. Just missing something from the first two.
½ December 22, 2015
"Rocky III" continues the titular pugilist's story with a fresh idea, but this film fails to contend with it's predecessors mostly due to the fact the Rocky Balboa we see here is not the same lunkheaded city slicker we came to know and love in the original film. Furthermore, "Rocky III" succumbs to emotional-manipulation, cheesy dialogue, and formula. It's practically borderline-schlock at this point, but it's entertainment value really lies in Stallone's performance, your fondness for the characters, and the final fight. So, in conclusion, "Rocky III" is mildly entertaining at best, but a lightweight compared to the first two and I never want to hear Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" ever again.
½ December 17, 2015
Still not too bad in its third outing, the climax makes its mark.
December 15, 2015
Mr. T and Stallone deliver a visceral and entertaining boxing rivalry about the prideful fall & penance that Rocky endures to reclaim his passion for fighting and his championship title, Carl Weathers turns in a fine performance as the rival-turned-mentor, Apollo Creed.