Rocky V - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky V Reviews

½ April 17, 2016
A more subtle, and quite different, entry to the Rocky series.
March 30, 2016
I thought this movie was good. Had a fight outside of the ring. It wasn't the best out of all of the movies but I am still gonna give it 5 stars because well... It's Rocky the champ.
March 27, 2016
While it manages to keep some heart from the last films, it contains a dull and uninteresting story, and has no likeable characters, and even makes Rocky unliveable at some points. Overall very disappointing for fans of the films.
X
March 27, 2016
shit, the others were great but this is just horrible
March 25, 2016
Say what you will about Rocky 5 but I like it. There are big problems with it but when it comes down to it this Rocky feels more like a Rocky movie than 3 and 4.
March 19, 2016
Not exciting. Put me to sleep
March 8, 2016
,,,,,¢,,,,,,¦,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦i,
½ March 6, 2016
Rocky V is a disgrace to the franchise and Rocky himself. He disregards the ones he loves to help a random fighter who ultimately betrays him. The confrontation turning into a street fight is beyond dumb.
½ March 2, 2016
In taking the iconic character's fight to the streets, the unnecessary part V Rockys and rolls the franchise into an uninspired and boring corner. This one still smarts. Throwing out the boxer with the bath water, Stallone's fourth Rocky sequel strips away the character's riches and, inadvertently, his underdog cred. Amazingly, it's not the betrayal of a back-stabbing protg that forces the Italian Stallion to fight but the fact that his son loses faith in him. Like Rocky, it comes to down to what's most important in life over winning...which should've ultimately involved walking away from a fight that's beneath him. Instead, our iconic hero refuses a bite of humble pie and reduces himself to fighting outside of a bar, which pretty much sums up where the worst film of the series takes the franchise: the gutters.

In this PG-13-rated sports drama, reluctantly retired riches to rags boxer Rocky (Stallone) takes on a new protg (Tommy Morrison) who betrays him.

The guiding hand of John G. Avildsen, returning as director since helming the first and best of the franchise, adds nothing to this dull cheap shot. In all fairness, with a script this poor, the film's downward spiral is a phenomenon beyond his control. Blame the writer. In need of a hit after numerous flops, Stallone makes his bed with a sloppy story that tries returning the champ to his roots and reverting him back to square one where he was at the outset of chapter one, in effect. Only he has Adrian...unfortunately, Shire doesn't seem to have the same fight in her anymore, which is probably why her character ends up getting written out of the follow-up, Rocky Balboa. Her beloved character's arc is long done. Meanwhile, Stallone's real-life son, Sage, assumes the role of Rocky Junior, impossibly aging the character 7 years since the last film even though this chapter picks up immediately after the events of IV.

Bottom line: Raging Bullsh*t
February 18, 2016
I don't know why people don't like Rocky V. I thought it was very good. He's back in the old place where he was in the first movie (Rocky.) This time he be's friends with a person named Tommy Gunn. Rocky trains him. He is really good but Tommy now wants to be on top. So someone else comes in and brings him to the top but people still think Rocky is better. So they end up having a street fight and Rocky wins. I love the ending credits the song is great. Rocky 5 I thought was a good Movie. Give the movie a chance
½ February 1, 2016
A bit different from the first 4 Rocky films but really enjoyable. Great new characters.
January 26, 2016
So we're just realizing now that Rocky isn't that great? It's a strange world alright.
½ January 24, 2016
It has some touching moments and some great montages but goes over the top on soppy scenes and dialogue. The most stupid part however is when Rocky goes against everything he stands for and has a classless fight with someone in the street. Just stupid, and really derailing to the franchise.
January 23, 2016
I was apprehensive about watching this as I didn't enjoy Rocky 4 and this film has poor reviews. I was surprised though as I didn't feel this film was too bad and I actually preferred it to Rocky 4. Rocky V sees the loveable fighter down on his luck, having lost everything and now back in his old neighbourhood. This is more like a sentimental melodrama than a hard hitting action film but for me it has it's moments.

I like some moments of the film and I take my hat off to Stallone and Co. for trying something different as the previous films had a similar storyline. Yes, the acting is clunky and awkward at times. In fact, as harsh as it sounds, it's almost amateurish now and then. Also, let's make no mistake, the fight at the end let's the film down. It's silly, undignified and unnecessarily over the top. So, at this point the franchise is like Rocky himself, down and out, but there is still a little bit of greatness in there.
January 20, 2016
Rocky V is one push too many. It's different from the previous, but it's not as good. Rocky becomes unlikable at times, and the other characters don't hold their same appeal. The plot is cheap, but it makes sense. The final fight just isn't the same.
January 9, 2016
Rocky V is so terrible that even sly hates the movie and you know what so do I this movie SUCKS it attempts to recapture the heart the first movie had but fails miserably tommy gunn everyone hates him so nothing new there the great music the previous films contained has been replaced with terrible rap music the ONLY good thing about this movie is the street fight at the end
January 8, 2016
There's some sort of an ugly cloud looming over this one. the most forgettable Rocky flick tries to bring Rocky back to his suburban roots, where street fights and bums are his environment. It tries to make some sort of connection in showing how far he's come from Rocky to Rocky V. But not only is it a forgettable plot, there are hardly any characters to connect with. It may count as part of the Rocky franchise, but it certainly doesn't reflect the values behind it.
½ January 8, 2016
It was predictable but, it wasnt horrible
½ January 5, 2016
I was entertained and amazed how good this new managerial direction took the saga of Rocky. Very impressed.
January 5, 2016
Pretty decent attempt to "first" end the series. Here's an attempt by Sylvester Stallone and John G Advildsen to return to the basics. It's not the best of the series, but it gives Rocky another great fight...a street fight. We all know Rocky was a Collector, we all know that Rocky has always been a fighter. This is also more of a story for Rocky Jr.(Sage Stallone). Since Rocky Jr. has been raised as a rich boy, it was time for him to expierence the hard ships his parents went through.
A recommended film after the other 4 movies. Remember without this film we wouldn't have the greatness of Rocky Balboa(2006)