Rocky V - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky V Reviews

January 20, 2016
Rocky V is one push too many. It's different from the previous, but it's not as good. Rocky becomes unlikable at times, and the other characters don't hold their same appeal. The plot is cheap, but it makes sense. The final fight just isn't the same.
January 9, 2016
Rocky V is so terrible that even sly hates the movie and you know what so do I this movie SUCKS it attempts to recapture the heart the first movie had but fails miserably tommy gunn everyone hates him so nothing new there the great music the previous films contained has been replaced with terrible rap music the ONLY good thing about this movie is the street fight at the end
January 8, 2016
There's some sort of an ugly cloud looming over this one. the most forgettable Rocky flick tries to bring Rocky back to his suburban roots, where street fights and bums are his environment. It tries to make some sort of connection in showing how far he's come from Rocky to Rocky V. But not only is it a forgettable plot, there are hardly any characters to connect with. It may count as part of the Rocky franchise, but it certainly doesn't reflect the values behind it.
½ January 8, 2016
It was predictable but, it wasnt horrible
½ January 5, 2016
I was entertained and amazed how good this new managerial direction took the saga of Rocky. Very impressed.
January 5, 2016
Pretty decent attempt to "first" end the series. Here's an attempt by Sylvester Stallone and John G Advildsen to return to the basics. It's not the best of the series, but it gives Rocky another great fight...a street fight. We all know Rocky was a Collector, we all know that Rocky has always been a fighter. This is also more of a story for Rocky Jr.(Sage Stallone). Since Rocky Jr. has been raised as a rich boy, it was time for him to expierence the hard ships his parents went through.
A recommended film after the other 4 movies. Remember without this film we wouldn't have the greatness of Rocky Balboa(2006)
January 5, 2016
The weakest entry in the series, by far. Even for big fans of the series like myself, this is one bad movie. Not even Stallone and Talia Shire can save such a bad script. Thank heavens Stallone followed it up with the far superior Rocky Balboa. Stallone knew darn well Rocky V was bad. His real-life son is painful to watch.
December 28, 2015
"My ring is outside."
December 25, 2015
After single handedly ending The Cold War. Rocky is now brain damaged and so must have been Stallone when he wrote the screenplay. It largely ignores the music that contributed to this fantastic franchise. Instead we got Mc Hammer and a load of other wank. The flashback scene with Mickey is touching but apart from that it fails to resonate any nostalgia. Thankfully in 2006 the excellent 'Rocky Balboa' ended the Italian Stallions legacy on a high.
½ December 24, 2015
Why oh why did I keep going
½ December 23, 2015
Great soundtrack but... The kid & Adrian are rather annoying in this part
December 22, 2015
John Avildsen returned to direct the last Rocky film before the turn of the century, "Rocky V" and he brought the grit of the original back as well, but that doesn't compensate for "V" being lackluster, predictable, formulaic, and lacking the depth of the first Rocky.
December 22, 2015
What the Critics Consensus says.
December 20, 2015
The story is a bit meaningless and under-developed--more apt on a Saturday-morning serial.

I probably could be a bit more critical of how Stallone played Rocky. He comes across as mentally impaired for large chunks of the film, when he talks about fear, I wasn't sure if that was just crazy talk, or he was being serious. For all the restraint, character growth and maturity, the last fight though is a bit dishonest to the rest of the movie.

For all its fault, it is undeniably Rocky though, and the spirit of Rocky is still evident throughout the film. I feel it should be credited for attempting to do something unique with the Rocky mythos
½ December 16, 2015
SO underrated. This is actually a GREAT movie.
½ December 8, 2015
It may be a step down from all of its predecessors, but Rocky V is still a decent film and has a great concept, even if it isn't as fleshed out as it could've been.
December 6, 2015
One of the most underrated movies of the 90's. People are so fucking dumb and have no hearts. This movie touches me deeply. I even love its 'fuck you' ending. It's like here, here's your stupid fucking wish fulfillment, this is what you fucks like, you fucks. After like 1hr 35 of just brilliant family drama. Dissonant and glorious way to end. God I love this movie.
December 3, 2015
Messy and easily the weakest of the series, but still underrated.
½ December 1, 2015
In some ways a pathetic attempt to bring the series back to it's so-called roots. All the progress Rocky made in terms of intelligence and class are lost as we discover Rocky has brain damage from Ivan Drago. On top of that we soon learn that all the Balboa wealth has been lost because Paulie gave the power of attorney to their accountant...who lost it all. So now Rocky goes back to his old stomping grounds as the dimwitted poor guy he once was. This is all learned in the first 10 minutes and the story quickly devolves after this rushed setup. Rocky starts ignoring his son for an up and coming young boxer played by a terrible actor (and real life boxer), and the story has the lame son having to learn to fight bullies while Rocky tries to train Tommy Gunn without losing him to the ridiculous Don King styled promoter. The film is pretty un-entertaining for the most part, and ends with a lame street brawl between Rocky and Gunn. Luckily this lame film is not how the series actually ends, I can see why many fans felt this an unsatisfying finale to the series.
November 25, 2015
We don't wanna see Rocky do any of this!