Roger Dodger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roger Dodger Reviews

½ September 10, 2016
Way too misogynistic in its portrayal, the movie, despite its dialogues, drudged along. It was filmed in too less light so it made the eye strain a bit and intense close ups with handheld made it worse. It really made you wonder if there as a purpose to this or not (you watching this movie or him making it). I must say though the character of Roger was a great study. It was very well written.
½ October 6, 2014
Campbell Scott gives, easily, his finest performance as the eccentric playboy who has a reputation for picking up any woman he desires. With an illicit affair with his boss on the rocks, he turns up jealous and heartbroken. His good-natured, sweet and untarnished nephew comes into the picture wanting his seedy uncle to help him lose his virginity. With Scott's poor attitude towards the opposite sex and his seek-and-destroy method of taming an easy woman, the nephew is on the road to ruin the goodness that is within him. Scott is excellent and unflinching. You can almost see his lack of heart in his deadpan delivery.
½ May 1, 2014
This is a smart and insightful sex comedy without relying on the over-the-top antics of the raunchier American Pies of the world. The majority of the film sees Nick and Roger having conversations about the opposite sex and what's the right way to go about getting women to go to sleep with you. Roger has a pretty cynical point of view on this and he's also pretty misogynistic for most of the film whereas Nick is far more sensitive and looking for something more than Roger is willing to help him with. Roger's just trying to get Nick laid, by any means necessary, and I really do mean that. Thankfully, though, the film sees Nick and Roger meeting a pair of beautiful women, Sophie and Andrea, at a bar and they spend a lot of the night with them having conversations about women's point of view when it comes to sex and relationships, so it adds a little dimension to the script that, for the most part, is centered on Roger's point of view, and he's this big macho, misogynistic guy. So the addition of Sophie and Andrea did add a different viewpoint to the film, and it was one that was definitely needed. The script takes an adult look at relationships and sex and, even if the film is 12 years old, it's still a breath of fresh air. And it's not just a film about conversations about the opposite sex, which would still be insightful, but it'd be kinda boring, the film does have a little bit of an arc and seeing how Roger's cynical views on relationships and women change, despite the fact that the relationship he had with his boss, clandestine relationship of course, the gender roles were completely reversed. Roger was, in as unoffensive a manner as I possibly can say this, the woman that was dumped by her boss, the man, in favor of someone younger. So it's interesting to see those roles being reversed, while at the same time seeing Roger's point of view on relationships and women, and how that affects him. That was a pretty good arc and seeing him mend the strained relationship with his family, while not as upfront, was also a good arc for the character. It also helps that Campbell Scott is pretty damn good in this role. Not saying the guy is like this character at all, but it almost feels like an extension of his real life personality, so it almost doesn't feel like he's acting. Jesse Eisenberg is great as always. The rest of the cast is quite, but this is really all about Campbell and Jesse and they deliver the goods. Granted, they have a strong script to work with, so I'm sure that makes it easier for an actor, but they still deliver the goods. Not much else to say really, this is a damn good film. What it lacks in over-the-top raunch, it makes up for in an intelligent/insightful script and a great cast. The directing's a little hit and miss, but the rest of the film is damn good.
October 25, 2013
Such a great movie. Very smart and funny. Scott should have being nominated for that role.
October 10, 2013
this was phenomenal. smart, witty, with a great moral twist. and an awesome end.
½ August 18, 2013
I was taken by surprise when I watched this film. I expected it to be a bit above mediocre but instead I found myself looking at almost a masterpiece.I think It was exceptionally well written and acted. A lot of people have had some complaints about its direction but in my view it was directed pretty well. It was not the classic American fairytale in any aspect what-so-ever. I don't think the director made mistakes during the shooting. I believe that he made it different with the way he treated the given material. Campbell Scott in the title role was astonishing and Eisenberg was too, if we take into consideration that this was his first debut. The rest of the cast was just the way they should be - they couldn't be incredible even if they wanted to since they're not really given the chance to shine. In an attempt to justify my 90% rating, I'll say this: I'm a teenager myself and thus it was surprisingly easy to identify with Nick. Because when I come to think of it, there aren't really that many serious movies about teenagers. In fact, although I have seen a lot of movies, I cannot recall having seen any film as good as this with similar material -not with male teens at least. It is my understanding that only a teenager like myself could give this 90% so don't thimk that I'll walk around telling people it's a masterpiece. To them it'll probably be a pretty good film. To most people a 70% rating is far more appropriate. Thus don't watch it expecting it to be a masterpiece - cuz it really isn't. To me and me alone it feels as if it actually is a masterpiece,
July 10, 2013
One of my favorite movies & performances. Smooth talking Campbell Scott takes his dork teenage nephew out for a night he'll never forget. I can't stand movies filmed in NY anymore because the city is so in love with itself, but I don't think they said NY once the entire time. Not even a shot of a skycraper I don't think. The poor lighting sets the tone of the film well too. The editing is fantastic. Really surprising storyline that never slows either. I can't think of anything I don't like about this film. George C. Scott's history with the Oscars and film industry must have fucked up his sons chances at a better career. This man deserves more recognition.
June 30, 2013
Excellent character study with fine acting.
May 20, 2013
Gotta love high-functioning sociopaths like HIMYM's Barney Stinson and Campbell Scott's titular Roger in this dark, delicious gem. Roger's tried-and-true tricks aren't just cheesy pick-ups, but carefully honed skills that show off the Darwinningest male. Jesse Eisenberg, in his first film role, is sweet and endearing with a hint of rebellion, and the brief roles of 80s-90s dream queens, Elizabeth Berkley and Jennifer Beals, make for a bittersweet sex education. It was so bittersweet that I wished something would happen for Nick and Sophie at the end - not necessarily sex but just SOMETHING instead of Uncle Dad once again aiding and abetting a lame flirtation with high school queen bee whom the audience hasn't gotten the chance to know and fall in love with yet.
½ February 16, 2013
I did not like this movie until the end, because until then the main character was really disgusting, but I liked the message that he learned in the end that he should change and he did. The very end was more dramatic than if the director had showed us what Nick said, but I would have liked to have heard it anyway.
February 15, 2013
i got this movie and this has a lot more to say
½ February 6, 2013
Jesse Eisenbergs acting range leaves a lot to be desired but I loved the dialogue in this film.
½ January 19, 2013
I was told this movie was extremely funny, so I watched it... I think I maybe smiled once? Roger is a thoroughly despicable character, and I'm not sure whether it was supposed to be one of those things where I laughed because what he said was so outrageously horrific, or whether I was supposed to be sympathizing with him, or what. Either way, this movie just didn't work for me at all on a comedic level. On a dramatic one, I was interested in what was going on with Jesse Eisenberg's character, but not enough to make watching the movie worthwhile.
½ December 28, 2012
What happened to don draper ...
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
½ December 1, 2012

Learn the ways, my son.
November 28, 2012
It's still one of my favorite movies to watch.
November 17, 2012
Quick witted dialogue in an otherwise boring, unengaged film.
November 16, 2012
Starts of as an artistically crafted drama and concludes with a teen-movie chuckle, anticlimactically.
September 25, 2012
Interesting movie, to say the least. Can't say that much more about it....