Rois et Reine (Kings and Queen) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rois et Reine (Kings and Queen) Reviews

June 7, 2016
Simply put: As good as it gets.
½ January 14, 2015
Un film aussi lumineux qu'à (C)clatant où se distingue un hymne à deux voix sur tous ces hauts et ces bas de la vie, de ses relations, de son amour, de son non-amour, de sa douleur et on en passe qui compose toutes ces vies qui nous entourent et nous unis. Avec une rà (C)alisation virtuose et une maà (R)trise extraordinaire du rythme, de la musique, des acteurs, des dialogues et on en passe, Desplechin offre un film renversant aussi douloureux que libà (C)rateur. Brillant.
½ April 26, 2014
Ahhhh! Mathieu Amalric! A very simple French love story: a woman who was in love with a crazy young student who killed himself after a scene with her, kept the baby, found love in another man, a violinist who is not able to rise her son. At 35, she finally finds love with a rich man who is not a great lover but it does not matter. However, her father is very sick. She joins him in province whereas her sister who's a drug addict cannot be at his bedside. In the meantime, the violinist is interned for depression in a psychiatric hospital. The actors are great. Probably the best Desplechin compared with the 3 hours long My Sexual life...
January 2, 2014
Good film well written , well directed, great cast.
½ September 15, 2013
Kate Taylor, Globe and Mail
Desplechin's big, bold, iconoclastic feature Rois et Reine is a disconcerting film that can turn your head at the oddest moments.
½ April 29, 2013
I was going to type up a lengthy review, but just have a look at Berardinelli's as he pretty much nailed it IMO. The movie itself is lengthy and drawn out and could have used some much tighter editing. Drinking a caffeinated beverage before watching is mandatory, lest the sandman will get you. I'd rate this as a bold, audacious, film, but a flawed one. A film that is not a total failure by any means, but still falls far short of being a great film. I give it a three out of five stars, and even that is being a bit generous.
March 5, 2013
One of the many joys and sadnesses of this necessarily long film are the way in which characters motivations and true feelings are gradually revealed as the film progresses, so that what starts out as a relatively straightforward drama becomes more complex, emotive and absorbing. Two skilled lead performances and two very different, flawed characters (but who basically both want escape) are at the centre of this compelling, funny, moving and truthful piece of cinema.
May 4, 2012
Amalric est toujours aussi impressionnant.
April 19, 2012
This is one of those mercurial philosophical movies that is sometimes engrossing sometimes exasperating. Catherine Deneuve drolly plays a chain smoking psychiatrist. I'm not sure whether I'd recommend this movie or not. It has some of the philosophical discourse that I loved in many films of the French new wave but it just doesn't quite match up to Truffaut or Godard. Admirable effort though.
March 20, 2012
Richly textured humane drama...
½ December 12, 2011
an exploration into the complex dimensions of life, madness, family, relationships, and unlikely peace. a pity there was too much philo monologue, which could not salvage a good cast's performance, especially the diverse quick-talking amalric's. the only really likeable character is dr. devereaux :P
December 3, 2011
A wonderful but difficult film. My wife was repelled by it somewhat but I found it easy to get wrapped up in unlike most movies about relationships.Best part of it besides the excellent writing and directing was the role of Ismael beautifully played by Mathieu Amalric. At nearly 2 1/2 hours, which normally would be a killer, I'd consider watching it again.
November 19, 2011
"Odd pleasure" is the expression that best describes this combination of understated comedy and excessive melodrama. It will not be everyone's cup of tea; however, I felt intrigued by its chronological and emotional leaps, its strange tone, and Emmanuelle Devos' fascinating and powerful performance.
July 3, 2011
A wonderful cast in a great melodrama.
½ April 20, 2011
Be sure to enjoy the dance scene in the psychiatric ward, and be touched by an ending adult to kid explanation complete with much movement and exploration of a museum. Tons of little meanings in this film, when running to catch plans, get here - get there, defend your ground, be a good person. Also lots of themes on family and bonds.
January 26, 2011
Un film magnifiquement interpr├ (C)t├ (C), qui d├ (C)montre, une fois encore, l'immense talent d'Emmanuelle Devos.
½ December 23, 2010
Interesting melodrama. A bit sprawling and unfoucused seeming at times, but it was nvever boring. Great performances all around. First Desplechin film I've seen but have read that his A Christmas Tale from a couple of years ago is excellent.
½ December 10, 2010
Arnaud Desplechin consomme probablement autant de drogues que ses personnages.
½ November 25, 2010
Amalric est fou, Devos est touchante, Girardot est hyst├ (C)rique... Desplechin est puissant... Hail to the kings and queen.
November 9, 2010
this could only be a french movie. mathieu amalric is hotness.