The Role of Her Life (Le Role de sa Vie) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Role of Her Life (Le Role de sa Vie) Reviews

July 23, 2010
film francais efficace et tres subtil avec une tres bonne karin viard
April 19, 2009
Not as exciting as the plot makes it sound, but the movie makes up for that by refusing to go the Hollywood way by letting the characters be as they are and not being afraid to show their flaws.
½ July 29, 2008
A mixture between Bridget Jones and Ugly Betty, in a French style. It's fresh and light, I really enjoyed it.
July 13, 2008
Jaoui et Viard sont horripilantes dans leur jeu mais c'est ce qui fait le charme du film.
December 30, 2007
5/5...J'ADORE !! A voir absolument !
December 23, 2007
Excellente prestation de Karine Viard.
November 23, 2007
muy buena, y personajes bien hechos.
½ November 13, 2007
very french. so real that it could hurt sometime, cause with the movie we watch from an outsider's view, it looks so sad and silly when pretending enjoying a song we actually don't know, or having fun in a place we actually don't fit in.
October 7, 2007
Superbe...very nice story...very french...can make you laugh and leave you wordless at the same time...a must see!!!
½ March 25, 2007
Enjoyable drama about the unique challenges of friendship between celebrities and non-celebs--or, for that matter, between boss and employee. I've seen the film lazily compared to The Devil Wears Prada and All About Eve, but those comparisons are way off the mark. It's much more in the vein of [i]Notting Hill[/i] in subject matter but richer and more thoughtful. Notting Hill was a Hollywood fantasy about a Hollywood star, but [i]Le Role de Sa Vie[/i] is more realistic.

I've come to expect excellence from Jaoui (who deserves to be much better known in the U.S.), and I was not disappointed. The script here is not quite as sharp those she has co-written with Bacri, but it's still quite good.

Star Karin Viard has been in films for 20 years, but this is the first time I remember really noticing her, and I see a lot of French films, so perhaps she will be a fresh face for other Americans. She gives a strong performance here as an emotionally slightly timid writer who gets pulled into the orbit of a famous actress, and the film explores various changing aspects of their relationship: as friends, romantic rivals, professionals.

[A sidenote: I notice Viard has since starred in a film, [i]L'Enfer[/i], written by Kieslowski and directed by the excellent Danis Tanovic ([i]No Man's Land[/i]) that has not yet been released in the States though it's now two years later. Come on! Someone release it on DVD at least.]

A good mature drama, enjoyable and intelligent. You won't get many chances to see it on the big screen, so see it if you can. Agnes Jaoui fans will especially want to see it.