Rolling Stones: Stones in Exile Reviews

• Jun 04, 2012

Who knew. I was never into Rolling Stones, I do not really know their music either. I did know about their time in France due to the scandals etc but this was certainly interesting look into the life of a bunch of musicians trying to keep going being creative, even when the tax man is after them.

• Apr 15, 2012

Liked it a lot, although that probably has a lot to do with how excellent the music was that came from the resultant album...good insights from the doc and there are even more crazy stories, if they are to be believed, out on the internet from this time in France...

• Aug 31, 2011

I found myself blinking less, so I wouldn't miss a shot from this fast-edited documentary, about the recording of "Exile on Main Street."

• Melvin W Super Reviewer
    Jun 20, 2011

"I just wanna drink from your loving cup." There was no way I wasn't going to like this at least a little bit. The Rolling Stones are my 2nd favorite band of all-time behind Hendrix. Stones in Exile is an interesting look at the making of Exile on Main St. With that said it isn't an amazing documentary. It's way to short and could have went a lot more in depth. If you are a Stones fan though, you won't regret giving this a watch. It is a pretty insightful look at how the Stones went about the making of their albums and does look a little bit into the excess in their lives.

• Jun 19, 2011

a nice mix of Franks' suppressed documentary, very charitable oral history, considerable access to session tapes, and Dominique Tarle's iconic photography. bookended by some useless celebrity interviews, but in-between an inventive approach to the threadbare genre of making-of documentaries.

• Jun 14, 2011

Interesting look into one of the Stones' now most (in)famous periods. Some great photographs, a couple of almost necessary interviews - who cares what Sheryl Crow or Will I Am think? - and some cool reminiscing from Keith, Mick, Bill, Bobby & Charlie. Good to flesh out what Keef says in his book about it.

• Feb 05, 2011

An excellent recounting of the creation of the Exile on Main Street album that encapsulates an era gone past with the juxtaposition of excellent photographs and old video footage. While one does not need to be a fan of the band, it obviously would help. Myself, I am more of a Hendrix guy, but I still appreciated this. Inclusions of interviews with modern day entertainment figures were a detraction for me to the loss of one point scored. What the fuck is some guy from that shitbag Black Eyed Peas doing in this? I loathe that "band". At least the others are respectable musicians.

• Nov 06, 2010

Good insight and (it goes without saying) kick-ass music.

Good insight and (it goes without saying) kick-ass music.

• Nov 02, 2010

Great film about the greatest album in Rock N' Roll history

Great film about the greatest album in Rock N' Roll history

• Oct 23, 2010

Interesting look into the Rolling Stones "Exile" from the UK due to tax issues. None of the band wanted to leave but felt they had no choice so they packed there bags and headed for France. With nothing to keep the band busy, the Stones created a homemade studio at Kieth Richards French get away and what resulted from these sessions is still today regard as one the finest albums of all time...Exile In Main Street. Very good rockumentary about album and the bands time away from the UK.