Rolling Stones: Stones in Exile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rolling Stones: Stones in Exile Reviews

June 4, 2012
Who knew. I was never into Rolling Stones, I do not really know their music either. I did know about their time in France due to the scandals etc but this was certainly interesting look into the life of a bunch of musicians trying to keep going being creative, even when the tax man is after them.
April 15, 2012
Liked it a lot, although that probably has a lot to do with how excellent the music was that came from the resultant album...good insights from the doc and there are even more crazy stories, if they are to be believed, out on the internet from this time in France...
½ August 31, 2011
I found myself blinking less, so I wouldn't miss a shot from this fast-edited documentary, about the recording of "Exile on Main Street."
blkbomb
June 20, 2011
"I just wanna drink from your loving cup." There was no way I wasn't going to like this at least a little bit. The Rolling Stones are my 2nd favorite band of all-time behind Hendrix. Stones in Exile is an interesting look at the making of Exile on Main St. With that said it isn't an amazing documentary. It's way to short and could have went a lot more in depth. If you are a Stones fan though, you won't regret giving this a watch. It is a pretty insightful look at how the Stones went about the making of their albums and does look a little bit into the excess in their lives.
June 19, 2011
a nice mix of Franks' suppressed documentary, very charitable oral history, considerable access to session tapes, and Dominique Tarle's iconic photography. bookended by some useless celebrity interviews, but in-between an inventive approach to the threadbare genre of making-of documentaries.
½ June 14, 2011
Interesting look into one of the Stones' now most (in)famous periods. Some great photographs, a couple of almost necessary interviews - who cares what Sheryl Crow or Will I Am think? - and some cool reminiscing from Keith, Mick, Bill, Bobby & Charlie. Good to flesh out what Keef says in his book about it.
½ February 5, 2011
An excellent recounting of the creation of the Exile on Main Street album that encapsulates an era gone past with the juxtaposition of excellent photographs and old video footage.

While one does not need to be a fan of the band, it obviously would help. Myself, I am more of a Hendrix guy, but I still appreciated this.

Inclusions of interviews with modern day entertainment figures were a detraction for me to the loss of one point scored. What the fuck is some guy from that shitbag Black Eyed Peas doing in this? I loathe that "band". At least the others are respectable musicians.
½ November 6, 2010
Good insight and (it goes without saying) kick-ass music.
November 2, 2010
Great film about the greatest album in Rock N' Roll history
October 23, 2010
Interesting look into the Rolling Stones "Exile" from the UK due to tax issues. None of the band wanted to leave but felt they had no choice so they packed there bags and headed for France. With nothing to keep the band busy, the Stones created a homemade studio at Kieth Richards French get away and what resulted from these sessions is still today regard as one the finest albums of all time...Exile In Main Street.
Very good rockumentary about album and the bands time away from the UK.
September 26, 2010
Although this documentary was only an hour long, I actually had trouble keeping the interest throughout. It's not bad though, but it could've been better.
½ September 18, 2010
Great candid look into the Stones lives at the time of recording. Such great tunes. Just more proof that the Stones were so much better than the Beatles. :)
½ August 27, 2010
Great documentary. Highly recommended.
½ August 9, 2010
The wide range of sources they interviewed for this is rather impressive- the parts where Keith Richards' son recounts his memories of the debauchery of the time is particularly intriguing. And I like how they did an admirable job of placing the album in the context of its time. You get a decent insight into the songwriting process and inner workings of the band in the documentary, but there's almost as much out of the extras as well. Jagger and Watts' interaction is also hilarious.
½ August 4, 2010
A tight little documentary about a loose sprawling album. Exile on Main Street has a British band making an American blues/rock album in the south of France.

The hour long documentary manages to follow the entire recording process with visual and anecdotal details, making it a great companion piece to the grimmer "Gimme Shelter."
August 2, 2010
Really a excuse to unearth old movies but to a great soundtrack and perhaps too much journo reverence over the choons, but stunning footage of the Stones at their peak. Just effortlessly bloody cool, check out the threads!
½ August 2, 2010
A cool in depth look at the making of one of the greatest albums by one of the greatest bands in rock history, "Exile on Main Street" by the Rolling Stones
July 30, 2010
Long on talk, short on music. There's some funny stories to be told, but this really is a variation on those "Classic Albums" documentaries, only not done as well.
July 22, 2010
its a very well done documentary but its only an hour long. feels too short but its great
July 19, 2010
If you love Rock 'n Roll docs and you love the Stones, this film is a no-brainer. Watch, rinse, repeat.

FYI - this film is available through Netflix on demand. Which means, and not that I would recommend it, watching it on the 2nd screen on your computer at work. ;-)