Roman J. Israel, Esq. Reviews

• Sep 07, 2019

Denzel Washington's phenomenal performance as a socially awkward lawyer with eidetic imagery dynamically carries the first half of this movie with ease; however, the rewarding situational drama is too short-lived to credit the film past its initial development

• Aug 27, 2019

For me it just didn't move beyond an "OK" movie. Maybe worth a rental.

For me it just didn't move beyond an "OK" movie. Maybe worth a rental.

• Jun 12, 2019

An indulgent Denzel-fest. Portraying a man of unflinching morals, at the cost of all else. The story the character inhabits dithers about, not committing to a single driven narrative that takes a lot of detours and tangents and yet remains by-the-numbers at its core. As oscar-baity as it was, doesn't quite manage to hold the attention and keep you emotionally invested for the pay-offs. Watch it if you love Denzel and see his (Arguably) best performance and other actors too. Too long and drawn-out otherwise.

• May 29, 2019

This was actually pretty good. Of course with Denzel Washington as the lead character is was bound to at least be decent. It's a good story but at times confusing as you don't really get the direction the story is going on. Not quite sure on the ending either, so it left me a bit puzzled.

• Apr 27, 2019

The critics have unjustifiably maligned this movie. It is a tour-de-force on the part of Denzel Washington in a long line of other magnificent portrayals. It is not without flaws but Denzel's performance compels you to continue watching despite whatever they may be. It's no blockbuster in its appeal to mass audiences but it is a much better movie that the ratings suggest.

• Feb 24, 2019

Denzel Washington gives his best in this standard law-advocate drama in which, while we never get to see anything genuinely original or thrilling, Dan Gilroy gives a solid direction towards his average script, exploring hard themes with solid characters, but while the film is never considerably âbadâ? in its own conception, it is truly a missed opportunity to take advantage of a great directorâ(TM)s talent and a superb actor providing a worthy performance

• Jan 01, 2019

Memseriizng storline. Impeccable acting.

Memseriizng storline. Impeccable acting.

• Jan 01, 2019

This is actually an incredible film that has many redeeming qualities.  When I first saw it, I liked it, but did not love it and found it to be somewhat underwhelming overall, considering how much I love Dan Gilroy's debut effort, Nightcrawler.  I have to say I had some problems with my internet that day, which forced me to restart Roman J. Israel Esq. numerous times, so that might have affected my viewing experience a huge deal back then.  Anyways, this time the movie really grabbed me and never let go.  It has countless dialogues and advice that will never leave my head, and is immensely packed with positive energy.  Dan Gilroy did it again, in my opinion, and he might even deliver another amazing film with Velvet Buzzsaw, which is coming out in a month.  His work is always daring and he never seems to go the easy route, which is something to value since it is very rare.  Also, I agreed with many that Denzel Washington's Oscar nomination for this was unnecessary, but now I think it is so deserved. The perfomance felt lived in and never one bit phoney.  This is pure acting on another level.  The other actors are doing a more than just fine job as well and add a lot.  I don't know why this movie is so damn underrated, but I suggest you give it another look of you didn't like it upon a first watch. There is a lot in it, and more to unpack. It is subtle, makes absolute sense and packs a punch and message that is not forced but wonderfully brought to the screen.  I love it and cannot wait for Gilroy's next one, and the ones after that.

• Nov 21, 2018

I read many reviews before viewing the movie and I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Both Denzel and Colin acted excellently and the movie was intriguing and enjoyable.

• Nov 12, 2018

Denzel Washington carries the movie as he inhabits the quirky savant Roman J. Israel, Esq. who is competent in a way but also somewhere on the autism spectrum. The "mythical" federal brief is an enigma for any (actual) lawyer watching the film; but I also think it is good for any attorney to absorb what RJI is trying to change. The system is broken, and maybe this movie gives us a glimpse of the attitude it will take to fix it. Gilroy did a great job of directing such a powerful actor set in a dynamic plot. I recommend the film b/c it is interesting, strange, challenging, and different.