Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired Reviews

• Jan 08, 2019

Made by and for Polanski apologists. I wholeheartedly agree with critic Miller's assessment of the film: "A premeditated act of propaganda in the service of exoneration with a creative genius defense, instead of remorse." Thankfully a decade later, the inherent idea behind this film is that obvious. Along with the powerful #MeToo movement, a creeper like Polanski is more likely to be held accountable. How "Hollywood" let predators like Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, and Harvey Weinstein (just a few) get away with sexual crimes just because they have a talent to subjectively entertain, is ludicrous and reprehensible. Serving sentenced time, paying fees/damages, being listed if required, and receiving mandatory therapy with appropriate monitoring is the aim of todayâ(TM)s justice for the victim(s). I had hoped this 2008 doc would shed light on how things were handled so out-of-hand; how perpetrators and their victims were treated, previous to this more transparent and less forgiving time period, when some powerful person or group decides to "turn a blind eye" (often repeatedly, as with the Catholic Church too), but isn't necessarily getting a free pass or the closest thing to it...the ability to readily flee after big bail money hits the court clerkâ(TM)s countertop. In recent cases, ankle monitoring has likely prevented similar avoidance and actual runs from the law. Sexual predation, by men or women, should NEVER be acceptable or "excused", like we see in Marina Zenovich's apologist film. -January 2019

• Nov 27, 2016

Even-handed review of the Polanski statutory rape case that manages to make relatively clear the legal shenanigans that have been involved while also making it clear that the director was guilty. Just taking one look at the school photo of the 13-year-girl makes you realize how wrong he was - so young. I don't think it mitigates things to ponder the fact that Polanski's parents died in the Holocaust and his wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered by the Manson family. In archive interviews, Polanski himself seems to brush off the seriousness of the charges, as did the French, who received him when he fled the US. However, this documentary does make it clear just how much Polanski was jerked around by the judge, a publicity-seeking knob (as suggested by both prosecution and defense lawyers in interviews), and why he decided to escape to avoid any further complications in the case and its resolution. I didn't realize that the film was 8 years ago and therefore omits the most recent moves by the U. S. to extradite Polanski again and their unwillingness to allow him to wrap things up with "time served" as even the victim and her family now think should happen. I'm of two minds - 42 days isn't much of a sentence (the time he actually spent in prison) - but 40 years in exile might be. As a parent (albeit of boys), it is hard not to see the ugly side of things and hard not to doubt the complicity of the victim at the time. All told, this is a lot of talking heads to watch but director Marina Zenovich keeps things interesting.

• Jun 30, 2014

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

• Mar 30, 2014

Review to Come For now: Mia Farrow, you nutty hypocrite . . .

Review to Come For now: Mia Farrow, you nutty hypocrite . . .

• Nov 06, 2013

Documentary accurately concentrates on the events surrounding the Polanski rape trial.

• Oct 01, 2013

I'm a little obsessed with Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate and found this documentary fascinating. Whilst he did a disgusting thing, the media and the courts did little to protect the victim/s.

• Sep 08, 2013

Interesante documental de como la justicia juega con los casos.

Interesante documental de como la justicia juega con los casos.

• Aug 24, 2013

Meh. Nothing I didn't already know reallt

Meh. Nothing I didn't already know reallt

• Jun 10, 2013

Well produced telling of the director's hardships and his pending charges related to a 30 year old rape case. Get the inside scoop from those closest to him... even includes interviews with the woman who accused him. I'm not a fan of him and I still found this film interesting.

• Mar 08, 2013

A very detailed account of the court case surrounding Roman Polanski and his departure from America. The documentary barely delves into the filmmaking aspect of his life, which is more what I was looking for, but I still learned quite a bit, mainly about how corrupt the legal system can be.